a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Help with arrow fishtailing

Help with arrow fishtailing

Ok I've searched this forum to try and find my answers but still need some help. I'm currently shooting gt xthunter with 125 grain tips and im having alot of fishtailing with the arrow in flight. Ive also looked at the easton tuning book everyone is always talking about, still couldn't get it. Bare shaft tuning shows it hitting about 10' left. Still having alot of fishtailing. Do I neeed a different arrow, been looking at going to victory arrows anyway. I'm trying to figure out what type of arrow i need: spline, tip weight, etc. Or is there something in the set-up that I need to adjust to correct it.
    My current setup is a PSE Bowmadness set at #70, 27.5 draw length, and like I said above gt xthunter 5575, 125 tip, standard tip, nap quickfletch vanes. Any help would be great. Going to bow shop on Sat. but not real confident in the guys that run it so id like to have an idea on what to try when I get there. THANKS

Fishtailing

Im not the best at this type of thing , and there are people here with more knowledge then i have . IMO your over tipped on your arrows you shouldnt be shooting more then 100g. I would also ask for a little more info though what type of rest are you using ?

Your arrow is WAY weak to be shooting 125's at 70# unless they are cut way down (like 25")

If your shafts are full length, you can stiffen them up by cutting them down (equal amounts from the front and rear of the shaft) but they need to be sticking one inch past the rest in the fully drawn position.

I would suggest that you hold off on shooting those arrows through that bow as they could likely snap with 125gr tips when shot.

If you swap out to 100 gr tips, and you can shorten those shafts to around 26 or 26.5 you should be OK. Remember, they still have to fit your bow so don't cut first and measure later.
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II
    www.Starrflight.com FOB MOB

I guess I forgot to type it in, my rest is a Octane Tripwire. Thanks for the heads up on the arrows, I'll hold off on shooting them til I can get some new ones.

Agree 125 is a little to heavy. try them with a 100,

Victory HV-V3 or the V1 in 350 will do fine there light, stiff and fast.
    Bear Carnage @ 62# !!!!!!!!!!! Mathews Switchback @65#
    Viper pro 2000 W 4x lens, fUSE WB.Tree Limb 3 arrow quiver.All on both bows
    , Victory HV V3
    If speed Kills then there is a deer that's in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmonkey1 View Post
    I guess I forgot to type it in, my rest is a Octane Tripwire. Thanks for the heads up on the arrows, I'll hold off on shooting them til I can get some new ones.
    What length are your arrows? Full length or have they been cut down? You don't have to get new arrows, you can get those cut if they are infact full length and they will work if you pick up some 100gr heads.
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II

They measure 29.5 from insert to inside of nock, I only have about 1 1/2 to spare before I run into clearance problems.

Cut another 3/4" off the arrow, use 100gr points and you will decrease your FOC. Or you may try the 7595s!
    Romans 5:12

FOC is too high, Cut another 3/4" off the arrow, use 100gr points.
    Romans 5:12

Insert is glued in, can it be pulled out to cut off, or how does that work. Bow shop I go to always just cuts off one end.

ya id try the 100 grain tips and getting a stiffer shaft would help.
    Tall Tine Bowstrings : www glaciallakesarchery com
    Custom Bow Equipment, Hot Shot Releases, Gold Tip Arrows, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, S4 Gear
    Elite Archery Dealer
    Ninja Engery 35 Hunting & Ninja Tour Field/3D

You should use 7595 xt hunters w/100 gr pts. at about 27-28" to be have the correct spine for your setup. The 5575's (.400 spine) are too weak out of your bow at 29.5" and the 125 gr tip further reduces your already weak spine. You need to adjust the rest to drop sooner also. You should be able to shoot arrows at 27-28 inches easily with your bow/rest setup. However, you will still be ok IF you increase your spine to at least .340. A stiffer spine allows your arrows to stabilize quicker, without that tail whip, which is compounded by the heavy 125 gr. tip. Your fletching is having a hard time trying to compensate for this weak arrow.
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmonkey1 View Post
    They measure 29.5 from insert to inside of nock, I only have about 1 1/2 to spare before I run into clearance problems.
    Whoa... 27.5" draw and your arrows are 29.5" but cutting them to 28" would cause problems? Is your rest pushed all the way up into the shelf? The body of the rest doesn't have to touch the shelf. In fact, with the tripwire, you can pull the rest back so the top of the launcher clears the back of the shelf in the down position and you can shorten your shafts a bit more.
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II

Clearance problem is actually with the broadhead (muzzy 125) and the little rubber that comes with tripwire that sticks to the shelf so arrow doesn't slide around when not at draw. It looks close but hard to tell if it would clear without actually pulling back a shorter arrow. When i pull back these arrows not nocked just beside the string it is within hairs of touching. Guy at bow shop also told me arrow should stick out past riser, just another reason to not have much confidence.

Thanks for all the great feedback, keep it coming.

Well, had a buddy bring me some 100 grain tips, made a world of difference. Finally got it to paper tune also. I'll probably still go ahead and get some some victory's in 350. Thanks for all the advice.

Good deal. Always good to hear when somebody gets a problem figured out.

Try spreading your D loop apart. Nock pinch causes that.
    Alpine Fireball F1