Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My whitetail deer hunting advice to you

My whitetail deer hunting advice to you

I'm starting this thread to share my lifes learnings in hopes that what I share may make you more effective and successful as whitetail deer hunters. This is going to be a long running thread where I'm going to cover topics about everything I have learned from almost 40 years of obsessive whitetail deer hunting. I'm not going to read anyones response to any of the post until I'm completely through with the thread, It could take months to write. I will write about things you've read about and many you have not. Hopefully, I will have something to share with everyone of you that will make you more successful as whitetail deer hunters. As my hunting carreer is winding down I wanted to make sure what I learned was passed along. A basic outline of what I want to cover is outlined below. Keep in mind that I tend to get off course at times so bare with me. I'm not a professional writer, so please forgive me on my grammar. Hunting whitetail deer to me is like playing the ultimate game of chess to maximize your chances of success. I want to cover many of these topics of interest in no particular order.

*Stages of the rut and hunting each
    *Strategic stand placement
    *Reading deer sign and behavior
    *scrape lines
    *Calling deer
    *Gimmicks use
    *Hunting pressured deer
    *Hunting from the ground
    *Bedding areas/feeding areas/travel corridors
    *Equipment selection
    *Baiting
    *Playing the wind

I'll add in some short stories along the way to reinforce what I'm trying to project. Read the thread if you want, if your not interested in what I have to say just don't read the thread. It is going to be my little project for the summer and early fall.

Im all eyes. Type away

PRIME BOWS- WHERE ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING

MOON SHINE ATTITUDE ATTIRE- GET YOUR SHINE ON!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikecs4life View Post
    Im all eyes. Type away
    I'll pull up a chair as well...

A little introduction about myself

I'm not sure exactly what led me into obsessively hunting whitetail deer but I suspect it is because of my oldest brother Bob. I'm one of 6 boys and I'm the youngest and Bob is the oldest. I always sort of idolized Bob because he paid attention to me. Bob liked to hunt and would always take me with him. I started reading about whitetail deer hunting back in the early 70's with magazines like Field and stream and Outdoor Life. There weren't many deer around my house in the early 70's so I had to read about the grand adventures of Fred Bear. The mid 70's to 80's brought on an explosion of the deer population as well as reading material. I started reading about modern day whitetail hunting experts such as Myles Kellar and the Benoit's. I basically read every magazine and book I could get my hands on. The big buck hunting really took off in the 80's. I read much material from some great hunters such as Dick Idol and David Morris as well as Chuck Adams. Educational and entertaining magazine really started popping up such as; Deer and Deer Hunting, North American Whitetail, Easton. I have read the writings of many other well known and not so well known authors and have learned much including; DR David Samual, Charles Alshiemer (?sp), Bobby Worthington... I more or less revolved my entire life around hunting deer or learning about them. A condition of my employment, marriage, and carreer was that I got to have my vacation off to deer hunt whenever I wanted and no hassles from anyone. I would break my back at work and around the house doing things to compensate for my obsession. Enough about me, I'll move right into the thread. I learned through trial and error how to master my equipment. Im my early years I would study ballistic charts and could quote trajectory/energy/velocity of hundreds of cartridges out to 500 yards. I took up reloading metalic cartridges and got obsessed with accuracy of rifles for many years and having the flattest shooting most accurate rifle I could afford. Most of my earliest years of hunting in the 70's and 80's were with rifles in the state of W.Va. That's not saying I didn't bow hunt because I did but my only real focus was to fill tags and get to gun hunting, that is where the majority of my small bucks came from. No real big bucks were around my house. The 1990's I learned of a giant buck in a magazine that was " The walking world record ". What fascinated me about this buck was that it hailed from WVa, my home state. I immediately went from hunting bucks to hunting trophy bucks. I purchased copies of the P&Y/B&C record books and made up charts where the big bucks were coming from out of my home state. Unfortunately I learned that only 7 B&C class bucks had ever came out of my state at that time. So at that time measures were taken to start focusing on trophy bucks. This took place in the 90's sometime. The buck that started the whole trophy thing was the current WVa state record Jerry Hill buck. I eventually branched out to other states where there are more huntable numbers of record class deer. So the very first bit of advice is; IF YOU WANT TO KILL A RECORD CLASS DEER YOU HAVE TO HUNT WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO LIVE AND GROW IN HUNTABLE NUMBERS. This will be the best advice I can give you you if you are after a trophy buck. I will move on to my next topic when I get some time to write again. There is grass to mow and cars that need washed. My first little buck was a 5 pointer, that's half the rack beside those freaky little racks. The bottom photo is the Jerry Hill buck. So in these two photo's you see the extremes of what I was hunting early on compared to what I wanted to hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greenwood South Carolina But love Bowhunting the Midwest
    I think I am going to LOVE this.

I STILL read everythign I can and try to apply it to my hunting

Im IN!

I love Dean's threads, for more than one reason!
    Mathew's DXT
    28"
    70lb
    Easton Axis FMJ 340
    Viper Sight
    QAD Rest

good thread Dean

Thanks for writing this..

One piece of advice... Please add paragraphs where possible.

Its so much easier to read.

For example:

I'm not sure exactly what led me into obsessively hunting whitetail deer but I suspect it is because of my oldest brother Bob. I'm one of 6 boys and I'm the youngest and Bob is the oldest. I always sort of idolized Bob because he paid attention to me. Bob liked to hunt and would always take me with him.

I started reading about whitetail deer hunting back in the early 70's with magazines like Field and stream and Outdoor Life. There weren't many deer around my house in the early 70's so I had to read about the grand adventures of Fred Bear. The mid 70's to 80's brought on an explosion of the deer population as well as reading material. I started reading about modern day whitetail hunting experts such as Myles Kellar and the Benoit's. I basically read every magazine and book I could get my hands on.

The big buck hunting really took off in the 80's. I read much material from some great hunters such as Dick Idol and David Morris as well as Chuck Adams. Educational and entertaining magazine really started popping up such as; Deer and Deer Hunting, North American Whitetail, Easton. I have read the writings of many other well known and not so well known authors and have learned much including; DR David Samual, Charles Alshiemer (?sp), Bobby Worthington...

I more or less revolved my entire life around hunting deer or learning about them. A condition of my employment, marriage, and carreer was that I got to have my vacation off to deer hunt whenever I wanted and no hassles from anyone. I would break my back at work and around the house doing things to compensate for my obsession.

Enough about me, I'll move right into the thread. I learned through trial and error how to master my equipment. Im my early years I would study ballistic charts and could quote trajectory/energy/velocity of hundreds of cartridges out to 500 yards. I took up reloading metalic cartridges and got obsessed with accuracy of rifles for many years and having the flattest shooting most accurate rifle I could afford. Most of my earliest years of hunting in the 70's and 80's were with rifles in the state of W.Va. That's not saying I didn't bow hunt because I did but my only real focus was to fill tags and get to gun hunting, that is where the majority of my small bucks came from.

No real big bucks were around my house. The 1990's I learned of a giant buck in a magazine that was " The walking world record ". What fascinated me about this buck was that it hailed from WVa, my home state. I immediately went from hunting bucks to hunting trophy bucks. I purchased copies of the P&Y/B&C record books and made up charts where the big bucks were coming from out of my home state. Unfortunately I learned that only 7 B&C class bucks had ever came out of my state at that time. So at that time measures were taken to start focusing on trophy bucks. This took place in the 90's sometime. The buck that started the whole trophy thing was the current WVa state record Jerry Hill buck. I eventually branched out to other states where there are more huntable numbers of record class deer. So the very first bit of advice is; IF YOU WANT TO KILL A RECORD CLASS DEER YOU HAVE TO HUNT WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO LIVE AND GROW IN HUNTABLE NUMBERS. This will be the best advice I can give you you if you are after a trophy buck.

I will move on to my next topic when I get some time to write again. There is grass to mow and cars that need washed. My first little buck was a 5 pointer, that's half the rack beside those freaky little racks. The bottom photo is the Jerry Hill buck. So in these two photo's you see the extremes of what I was hunting early on compared to what I wanted to hunt.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by HammyAbeer View Post
    Thanks for writing this..

One piece of advice... Please add paragraphs where possible.

Its so much easier to read.

For example:

I'm not sure exactly what led me into obsessively hunting whitetail deer but I suspect it is because of my oldest brother Bob. I'm one of 6 boys and I'm the youngest and Bob is the oldest. I always sort of idolized Bob because he paid attention to me. Bob liked to hunt and would always take me with him.

I started reading about whitetail deer hunting back in the early 70's with magazines like Field and stream and Outdoor Life. There weren't many deer around my house in the early 70's so I had to read about the grand adventures of Fred Bear. The mid 70's to 80's brought on an explosion of the deer population as well as reading material. I started reading about modern day whitetail hunting experts such as Myles Kellar and the Benoit's. I basically read every magazine and book I could get my hands on.

The big buck hunting really took off in the 80's. I read much material from some great hunters such as Dick Idol and David Morris as well as Chuck Adams. Educational and entertaining magazine really started popping up such as; Deer and Deer Hunting, North American Whitetail, Easton. I have read the writings of many other well known and not so well known authors and have learned much including; DR David Samual, Charles Alshiemer (?sp), Bobby Worthington...

I more or less revolved my entire life around hunting deer or learning about them. A condition of my employment, marriage, and carreer was that I got to have my vacation off to deer hunt whenever I wanted and no hassles from anyone. I would break my back at work and around the house doing things to compensate for my obsession.

Enough about me, I'll move right into the thread. I learned through trial and error how to master my equipment. Im my early years I would study ballistic charts and could quote trajectory/energy/velocity of hundreds of cartridges out to 500 yards. I took up reloading metalic cartridges and got obsessed with accuracy of rifles for many years and having the flattest shooting most accurate rifle I could afford. Most of my earliest years of hunting in the 70's and 80's were with rifles in the state of W.Va. That's not saying I didn't bow hunt because I did but my only real focus was to fill tags and get to gun hunting, that is where the majority of my small bucks came from.

No real big bucks were around my house. The 1990's I learned of a giant buck in a magazine that was " The walking world record ". What fascinated me about this buck was that it hailed from WVa, my home state. I immediately went from hunting bucks to hunting trophy bucks. I purchased copies of the P&Y/B&C record books and made up charts where the big bucks were coming from out of my home state. Unfortunately I learned that only 7 B&C class bucks had ever came out of my state at that time. So at that time measures were taken to start focusing on trophy bucks. This took place in the 90's sometime. The buck that started the whole trophy thing was the current WVa state record Jerry Hill buck. I eventually branched out to other states where there are more huntable numbers of record class deer. So the very first bit of advice is; IF YOU WANT TO KILL A RECORD CLASS DEER YOU HAVE TO HUNT WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO LIVE AND GROW IN HUNTABLE NUMBERS. This will be the best advice I can give you you if you are after a trophy buck.

I will move on to my next topic when I get some time to write again. There is grass to mow and cars that need washed. My first little buck was a 5 pointer, that's half the rack beside those freaky little racks. The bottom photo is the Jerry Hill buck. So in these two photo's you see the extremes of what I was hunting early on compared to what I wanted to hunt.
    I think I'm going to enjoy this thread, but my eyes got tired just looking at that giant paragraph-story. Breaking it up into decent paragraphs is a positive suggestion.
    BowTech Insanity CPXL ; BowTech Experience
    QAD HDX rests
    Spot Hogg Hunter & Tommy Hogg Sights
    Carter Honey Release
    Deer Crossing Archery Hunter arrows, deadly on everything but the pocketbook!

Good luck with this, Dean.

marty

I don't need no stinking paragraphs, but if it helps out these other guys, that's OK too.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

subscribed.........

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    Good luck with this, Dean.

marty
    Yep. Hope it goes well for ya. I'll enjoy reading it.
    Texas heart shooter.

I'm always interested in anyones thoughts and opinions on whitetail hunting. It's always cool to compare tips and tactics to the ones I feel that I've been able to apply over the years. I'm curious to watch this thread develop.

An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

cool i dig it
    HOYTS GOLD TIPS and GRIM REAPERS
    Kecks Archery Corner

Since I have been obsessed with the same as you for 54 years now, i'm always looking for tips. I too, am on the back side of life & passing my knowledge to my kids & g-kids that have taken up the sport of Bowhunting & the outdoors. My career started in 1956 & NO deer where I lived. I read all I could about Fred Bear, Ben Pearson & Howard Hill in those late 50s & on.

I won't worry about paragraphs or a typo's. Looking forward to a good read & what you may shed light on...
    Always Thankful

Man I am sure glad I saw this thread..I need all the help I can get in hunting bigger more mature bucks!!! Your statement about you have to hunt where trophy bucks exist in huntable numbers, to me is the #1 factor in consistently killing trophy bucks!!!!!
    ----08.5 ELITE GT500 ----- ASAT- NATION
    TUFFSAK bag targets
    MAGNUS BUZZCUTS /GRIZZ TRICK II /RAGE HYPO

well im hooked.

Thumbs up

awesome thread

I always enjoy reading about Deans exploits, should be a good thread.

Lets hear it Dean......
    Elite Z28 -60X Custom Strings-Sword Twilight Hunter-NAP SmartRest-Icon into Sims Stem
    PSE X Force SS GX For Sale

OK I'm taking the bait, I just subscribed to the tread.............let it roll.
    Athens Accomplice 32 #60/28
    HHA
    Qad HDx
    Easton
    Slick Trick/Ramcats

Hang on don't start yet.....I am going to get my rubber boots!
    Crossbows Are For the Handicap, Elderly, and Gun Season

I will follow along with this!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast