a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: 40 pound draw weight good for deer

40 pound draw weight good for deer

Hello All
    I was reading through some old posts about minimum draw weight for bows used to hunt deer.

I thought I would share a story for you.

For years I hunted with very fast heavy draw weight bows with light weight very fast arrows. My typical draw weight was 70-75 pounds in my compond bow. In fact I have an early production Bear Jennings Carbon Extreme that was given to me by Tom Jennings in 1988 in the old Bear Jennings Plant in Archer, Florida. That bow was rated at 80 pounds draw weight and I hunted with it for a number of years and harvested my fair share of game with it.

I joined the Military in 1989 and I retired early last year. This is where my story really begins. As I said I had always hunted with high draw weight bows because I believed like others on this board that the heavier the draw weight the better it was to harvest game. Well in 2004 that all changed for me. I was deployed to Fallujah in November of 2004 as a Combat Medic. The fighting was pretty intense and I was shot in my left wrist by an insurgent. The round penetrated my wrist and shattered it along with my Ulna. I medivac out to germany then back to the states where surgeons repaired the damage. They basically rebuilt my wrist and ulna. I have 18 screws, a titanium plate,along with a titanium rod through the center on my ulna, holding everything together. It took me three operations and a year of rehab to get back 40 percent of the strenth and use of my left wrist and arm. Let me tell you I was really looking forward to getting back to shooting and hunting with my bow after I was all healed up. I come to find out that my left wrist was unable to hold the strain of a 70 pound compound bow any longer. I thouight I would not be able to hunt again when I decided to try a recurve bow set at 25 pounds and I was able to shoot that with some discomfort but able to shoot all the same. I slowly worked my way up to a 30 pound then a 35 and finally a 40 pound recurve bow. I was finally able to hunt again as my state requires a minimum of 40 pounds of draw weight to hunt with.

Hunting season 2008 on my first hunt with the 40 pound recurve, I was sitting in a natural ground blind when a nice six point deer walked out at 20 yards and presented me with a nice broad side shoot. My wood ceder arrow with a Bear Broadhead punched clean through and the deer ran less than 50 yards. I killed two more deer and a 210 pound wild hog that same hunting season. The biggest deer weighed 130 pounds. All were complete shoot throughs except for the hog which was a quartering away shot. The arrow almost penetrated the hog except for the fletching end that the hog broke off when he ran throght the woods. All shoots were under 30 yards.

2009 hunting season I was using traditional archery equipment I made my self. I constructed a Osage Orange bow with a 39 pound draw weight at 28 inches and ceder arrows using obsidian broadheads I made. I was again at my favorite hunting spot on opening day of archery season when a nice size doe walked out at 15 yards and I connected with my self made bow and arrow and the shot passed clean through the doe and she was down. I was able to get a nice 8 point later in the season with the same set up and it too passed clean through except for a few inches of the fletchings.

I guess the point I am trying to make is you do not need all that draw weight to make a clean kill on deer. You just need good shot placement and know the equipment you are using and its limitations. I practice at 20 and 30 yards consistantly so I limit my shots to that distance.

This year I am taking my traditional bow and arrow out west to hunt elk and I hope to have the same kind of success will let you know how it goes.

Let me know what you think.

Keep It Safe
    Leave it like you found it
    Respect your Quary

Quote Originally Posted by ToddRvs View Post
    Hello All
    I was reading through some old posts about minimum draw weight for bows used to hunt deer.

I thought I would share a story for you.

For years I hunted with very fast heavy draw weight bows with light weight very fast arrows. My typical draw weight was 70-75 pounds in my compond bow. In fact I have an early production Bear Jennings Carbon Extreme that was given to me by Tom Jennings in 1988 in the old Bear Jennings Plant in Archer, Florida. That bow was rated at 80 pounds draw weight and I hunted with it for a number of years and harvested my fair share of game with it.

I joined the Military in 1989 and I retired early last year. This is where my story really begins. As I said I had always hunted with high draw weight bows because I believed like others on this board that the heavier the draw weight the better it was to harvest game. Well in 2004 that all changed for me. I was deployed to Fallujah in November of 2004 as a Combat Medic. The fighting was pretty intense and I was shot in my left wrist by an insurgent. The round penetrated my wrist and shattered it along with my Ulna. I medivac out to germany then back to the states where surgeons repaired the damage. They basically rebuilt my wrist and ulna. I have 18 screws, a titanium plate,along with a titanium rod through the center on my ulna, holding everything together. It took me three operations and a year of rehab to get back 40 percent of the strenth and use of my left wrist and arm. Let me tell you I was really looking forward to getting back to shooting and hunting with my bow after I was all healed up. I come to find out that my left wrist was unable to hold the strain of a 70 pound compound bow any longer. I thouight I would not be able to hunt again when I decided to try a recurve bow set at 25 pounds and I was able to shoot that with some discomfort but able to shoot all the same. I slowly worked my way up to a 30 pound then a 35 and finally a 40 pound recurve bow. I was finally able to hunt again as my state requires a minimum of 40 pounds of draw weight to hunt with.

Hunting season 2008 on my first hunt with the 40 pound recurve, I was sitting in a natural ground blind when a nice six point deer walked out at 20 yards and presented me with a nice broad side shoot. My wood ceder arrow with a Bear Broadhead punched clean through and the deer ran less than 50 yards. I killed two more deer and a 210 pound wild hog that same hunting season. The biggest deer weighed 130 pounds. All were complete shoot throughs except for the hog which was a quartering away shot. The arrow almost penetrated the hog except for the fletching end that the hog broke off when he ran throght the woods. All shoots were under 30 yards.

2009 hunting season I was using traditional archery equipment I made my self. I constructed a Osage Orange bow with a 39 pound draw weight at 28 inches and ceder arrows using obsidian broadheads I made. I was again at my favorite hunting spot on opening day of archery season when a nice size doe walked out at 15 yards and I connected with my self made bow and arrow and the shot passed clean through the doe and she was down. I was able to get a nice 8 point later in the season with the same set up and it too passed clean through except for a few inches of the fletchings.

I guess the point I am trying to make is you do not need all that draw weight to make a clean kill on deer. You just need good shot placement and know the equipment you are using and its limitations. I practice at 20 and 30 yards consistantly so I limit my shots to that distance.

This year I am taking my traditional bow and arrow out west to hunt elk and I hope to have the same kind of success will let you know how it goes.

Let me know what you think.

Keep It Safe
    Leave it like you found it
    Respect your Quary
    Nice post,
    I haven't been here for sometime, but your statement is spot on. It has always been and always will be about shot placement.

First things first THANK YOU for your service . I am glad that you made it home.

That was a great read. I hope that you have a great trip out west. I would love to see that bow you made. I think that you are right about the heavy pound bows. I am in that group as well i shoot a 71# Hoyt. I have an old recurve that is 50# i need to dig it out and get a string for it.
    Tag It, Bag It, Eat It that's what i say

I've too learned that I don't need 80lbs of draw weight. It was explained that 30lbs would drop a deer so I'm now going to set my bow at a lesser weight seeing as how I will be taking close shots anyways. Great post!

Great info

Last year I began hunting with my first 60lb pound bow after years of believing that a 70lb bow was the way to go. I never found the arrow that blew thru the deer at 45yds. I have wondered how low I could go given that my son's bow is a 40lb mathews ignition. I knew his bow was strong enough but I never expected a complete pass thru.

Great thread
    Every new bowhunter should read this, save people alot of discomfort thinking they have to pull 70# just to hunt deer.
    Strother Inspire- Control Freak X rods- Limb Driver- Sword- Tru Ball- Easton Axis- G5 Montecs

Quote Originally Posted by B.Hunt View Post
    THANK YOU for your service I am glad that you made it home.

X 1000. The men and women of our military do not get nearly enough thanks for the job they do and the risks they take so we can enjoy the way of life that we do. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Well said too. With 30# you have to really make sure you make a near perfect hit. When you get up to 40, it's a much better scenario. Stay after 'em with that recurve. Post up some pics of what you harvest with it. It has to be a special feeling taking a deer (or any other animal for that matter) with a bow you made with your own 2 hands. Pretty awesome I'd guess.

Dawg
    PSE FIELD STAFF / TRUBALL STAFF
    Me: 2013 Vendetta DC, Breathn-Built SH Patriot Supra DC, Breathn-Built Red Supra DC
    Wife: 2013 New Breed Lycan in Blk/Muddy Girl, 2012 Mathews Jewel in Lost Camo
    Son (19): 2014 Mathews Chill in Lost Camo

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg21 View Post
    X 1000. The men and women of our military do not get nearly enough thanks for the job they do and the risks they take so we can enjoy the way of life that we do. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Well said too. With 30# you have to really make sure you make a near perfect hit. When you get up to 40, it's a much better scenario. Stay after 'em with that recurve. Post up some pics of what you harvest with it. It has to be a special feeling taking a deer (or any other animal for that matter) with a bow you made with your own 2 hands. Pretty awesome I'd guess.

Dawg
    Yes it is quite a feeling of accomplishment and pride... Thank you all for the kind words

Awesome story, your a surviver. Nothing but respect here bro!

Thumbs up

09 PSE DS GX 30/70 QAD HD Trophy Ridge V5

dhplans.com is a great place.

First and foremost, thank you for your service. Second, you are right on in your comments, 40lbs is MORE than enough to take deer, and even bigger game with proper shot placement.
    Rytera Alien X, White & Camo, QAD, Fuse Carbon 8", G5 Optix SE, Fuse Satori Quiver
    Rytera Alien X, Black & Green, QAD, Fuse Carbon 8", G5 Optix SE, Fuse Satori Quiver