Thread: Wyoming Antelope hunt unit 61 help needed

Wyoming Antelope hunt unit 61 help needed

A buddy and I were drawn in unit 61 for Anrelope this year 2010. We put in for 1st choice 61 not expecting to get drawn because of the low odds and were hoping for a 47 our 2nd choice, or 48 third. We have info and friends that have hunted in 47 and 48 but caught off guard for the 61.

From what I've read it seems to be a good unit, lower hunter numbers, and good bucks. Sounds like there is more public land north and north east of the unit? We have no problem hiking into foot traffic areas only, and would prefer this if it were to result in better odds and better bucks. We've got a buck and two doe tags each. We'll be camping so we can be very mobile. Driving up from AZ as soon as I kill my Bull Elk here the same month.

We won't have time to scout at this point. Just was looking for suggestions on where to start looking (approximate areas are perfect), we can fugure it out once in an area.

The dates are Sept. 4th - 30th. Is this considered more of a Rut hunt or something? What is the peak of the Rut? The third week or so? Why is this hunt unit so much earlier than the others?

Also looking for suggestions on good reccomeded Taxidermists in the area, food, processors, places to shower/ wash clothes, and ammenities like that.

I would sure appreciate any help, I really hate to E-scout like this but we are on a DIY hunt and going in blindly, so need some help. We are very excited and cannot wait. This will be our first Antelope hunt.

P.M. me if you'd prefer.
    Thank you in advance all!

Ttt

well, i drew it too, and have never been there myself. going later next week though, illl let ya know what i see.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

I would sure appreciate it! Thank you.

That is a great unit and you should do very well. I would go up around the 20th of Sept. and the bucks should be rutting heavy by then.

If you have never been there, get on google earth and start looking. You can see water holes pretty easy and get a pretty good idea what to expect. Hold out for a good one.
    Utahelk

11' Hoyt CRX 35 Max1
    10' Hoyt Maxxis 35

been checking out public land maps, looks like a TON of public in the northeast. think ill go in the morning for the opener...
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

I have an Archery Bull Elk hunt here in AZ and goes through Sept. 23rd. Looks like we'll be heading up the last week or two of the month. Hopefully the rut will be on and no other hunters to contend with being that late in the season.

So is around the 20th approx the peak of the rut?

Quote Originally Posted by archery4life View Post
    I have an Archery Bull Elk hunt here in AZ and goes through Sept. 23rd. Looks like we'll be heading up the last week or two of the month. Hopefully the rut will be on and no other hunters to contend with being that late in the season.

So is around the 20th approx the peak of the rut?
    The 20th should be very close to the peak.
    Z7 -FMJ 340- Hellrazor & Rage 40KE
    The character of a man can be measured by the character of those that consider him an enemy.

Can anybody reccomend any good taxidermists around there. What about food, showers, laundrymats, and amenities like that?

Any good foot only areas we could hike into that would produce?

ttt

Ttt