Thread: Calculating distance to target from a elevated position.

Calculating distance to target from a elevated position.

Any one have advice from shooting from an elevated position such as a tree stand.

Is it more accurate to measure the distance from the base of the tree to the target ( horizontal distance) OR

From the tree stand to the target (diagonal distance) ?

Or better yet, any one have a formula?

A squared + B squared = C squared where A=height in tree (don't forget to convert feet to yards) B=distance from base of tree to target and C=distance from treestand to target.

You'll find the difference is less than 2 yards in almost all normal circumstances at normal heights.
    Speed is fine. Accuracy is final.

Just buy one of the new range finders with built in ARC. A lot simpler

I hunt from 15 foot stands. Well before season, I walk out my distances, and make reference points (set rocks, etc.), or "blaze mark" trees from 20-50 yards around my stands. Practicing shooting from a stand at home, I've seen that at most, I'll shoot about 2 inches high on a target from an elevated stand if I've sighted my bow from ground level. The one thing I've really noticed is, the arrow is on a downward angle as it hits, so the "zero" at that yardage seems to be in the middle of the arrow path. It hits the target 2 inches high, but comes out the back at 2 inches low. If you can sight in from an elevated stand, do so. If not, just make sure you know your correct ground yardage, and hold that pin right on target.

You want to shoot for the horizontal distance, base of the tree to the target.

Unless you are WAY up a tree or shooting at a target downhill from the base of the tree there will be very little change.

Lets consider shots from a high treestand of 30' at distances of 10, 20, and 30 yds.

For a right triangle A squared + B Squared = C squared

Height (A) 10yds
    Horizontal distance (B) 10 yds
    Angular distance (C) 14.1 yds This is what a non ARC rangefinder will give you for the line of sight distance, you want to shoot for 10 yds.

Height (A) 10yds
    Horizontal distance (B) 20 yds
    Angular distance (C) 22.4 yds This is what a non ARC rangefinder will give you for the line of sight distance, you want to shoot for 20 yds.

Height (A) 10yds
    Horizontal distance (B) 30 yds
    Angular distance (C) 31.6 yds This is what a non ARC rangefinder will give you for the line of sight distance, you want to shoot for 30 yds.

All of this assumes your tree is on level ground, but as you can see there is very little distance change. It will make more of a difference at the the very short ranges where the angle is the most severe and in those distance, where arrow flight is relatively flat, it is far more important to have proper form and bend at the waist.

Now, hunting in the mountains can be a different situation,
    Let's work it backwards for shooting out west off of a 120' high bute at a Mule Deer your line of sight range finder says is 60 yds out.
    C squared - A squared + B squared
    Your horizontal distance is 44.7 yards. You would want to shoot the animal for that distance. (or as a hunter hold a split 40/50)

Moral of the story is learn to bend at the waist and shoot for the horizontal distance.

Mitch
    '13 Barnsdale My Addiction, SureLoc Challenger, Extreme Scope, BriteSite ProTuner, Underground Archery Products Stabilizers, Black Eagle Arrows, FirstStrings, Stan Blackjack
    '14 Elite E35, Black Gold Ascent, VaporTrail ProV, Underground Archery Product Stabilizers, Black Eagle Arrows, TightSpot, FirstStrings, Scott LBG