a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV given off by Hunting clothing & gear

UV given off by Hunting clothing & gear

Deer can see UV light and a lot of hunting equipment & clothing give off UV light which can be readily seen by deer. You can get an inexpensive black UV light bulb at HD, Lowes, etc, to check out your equipment. I was really surprised how bright white becomes, and how much UV some jeans & camo clothing give off, and even the fletching on arrows. Check it out!

Its not the same.... I hate these UV threads, someone gets a little info on vision and sight and blow it all out of proportion to make a buck...

I've stood 10 yards from deer in the woods with Blue jeans and all on and never been seen.... I was all my stuff in baking soda that is supposedly making more UV for me... and shot deer at 15 yards... while moving...

Deer see UV, But not to the degree of a blacklight bulb...

I don't believe any animal can "see" UV specifically--- what the OP and previous post are suggesting by way of using a black light or UV bulb light. However, deer and other animals do "see" IN the Ultraviolet portion of the light spectrum, which is not the same as putting a UV light up against clothing (in support of the previous poster I guess).
    "...Dreams have never made my bed."

[QUOTE=gun870guy;1058535860]Its not the same.... I hate these UV threads, someone gets a little info on vision and sight and blow it all out of proportion to make a buck... There are many that would disagree with you, including field biologists.

I've stood 10 yards from deer in the woods with Blue jeans and all on and never been seen.... I was all my stuff in baking soda that is supposedly making more UV for me... and shot deer at 15 yards... while moving... That has happened to many of us as well. Not all blue jeans, or camo clothing, emit UV rays, at all, or in equal amounts. Depends on the manufacturing process & treatment of the materials.

Deer see UV, But not to the degree of a blacklight bulb... Perhaps, perhaps not. Only the deer know. Use at your own discretion. QUOTE]

So have you done anything about it, and did it work to fix the problem.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

2015 Elite Synergy Max-1 "Max", 29" 50lbs GT Velocity Pros, Limb Driver, Spot Hogg Real Deal Sight, Rocket Hammer Heads(turks), Slicks(Deer)

[QUOTE=gun870guy;1058535860]Its not the same.... I hate these UV threads, someone gets a little info on vision and sight and blow it all out of proportion to make a buck...

I've stood 10 yards from deer in the woods with Blue jeans and all on and never been seen.... I was all my stuff in baking soda that is supposedly making more UV for me... and shot deer at 15 yards... while moving...

Exactly. I cannot tell you how many deer I have had within feet of me on the ground and never saw me. Some of the time I was wearing blue jeans.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

I'm curious why all those that PM'd me stating they agree with the UV affect on deer didn't also post their comments here well. Could it be they are as tired of the bashers who vent their disagreement, as I am. For a while I thought things were getting better here on AT, but I guess there are still those who can't accept helpful suggestions. After all, could you have considered that perhaps your jeans were among those that didn't give off UV? So, if you "hate these UV threads" why do you read them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Archer View Post
    I'm curious why all those that PM'd me stating they agree with the UV affect on deer didn't also post their comments here well. Could it be they are as tired of the bashers who vent their disagreement, as I am. For a while I thought things were getting better here on AT, but I guess there are still those who can't accept helpful suggestions. After all, could you have considered that perhaps your jeans were among those that didn't give off UV? So, if you "hate these UV threads" why do you read them?
    Prove him wrong.

You make it sound like your first post is the absolute truth and shouldn't be questioned.

Don't interpret a different point of view or different experiences (that contradict your point of view or experiences) for bashing.When you do that you are acting exactly the same as the people that really are bashing.
    cars have horns...deer have antlers!!

For a while I thought things were getting better here on AT...
    Oh for cryin' out loud. Dramatic much? What did you want? Everyone to salute you for your ground-breaking scientific research and run out to buy a blacklight?

As wisconbowonly points out, don't confuse expressing a difference of opinion with "bashing". It dilutes the the effectiveness of the term's true definition.

-Witty
    -Wittyhttp://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1467823 I'm selling my RH 2008 Katera (bare bow) <-- Click It!
    XT500, Z3 Cam 1/2, 60-70, 28" draw, side plates & standard grip
    Excellent Condition, barely used... $325 TYD (09-11-11)

Quote Originally Posted by mwitty111 View Post
    Oh for cryin' out loud. Dramatic much? What did you want? Everyone to salute you for your ground-breaking scientific research and run out to buy a blacklight?

As wisconbowonly points out, don't confuse expressing a difference of opinion with "bashing". It dilutes the the effectiveness of the term's true definition.

-Witty
    Frankly, I expect & welcome opposing opinions, as mine was initially. Normally it's a learning process. However, when the first response is "I hate these UV threads", that is not an opinion, that is a bash. And your response is exactly what was expected. Are you having fun?

Until someone finds a talking deer that can tell me it can see the UV light coming from my hunting clothes, I`m not buying into any of this. Sorry but I`ve seen how gullible deer hunters can be, and I`m not drinking the Kool Aid
    Archerytalk=talking about archery. Is that so hard to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by hunting170 View Post
    Until someone finds a talking deer that can tell me it can see the UV light coming from my hunting clothes, I`m not buying into any of this. Sorry but I`ve seen how gullible deer hunters can be, and I`m not drinking the Kool Aid

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that deer see in the Ultraviolet portion of the light spectrum. No need to hear it from a deer... ask a biologist.

Cheapest way to see things in a UV spectrum is with a blacklight...

And Deer do not see things that way...certain things do not LIGHT up like they do under black light. They see things more in a black/white color spectrum...But if you use a UV filter light they cannot see the light. Light a red or green lens, they will not see it. But an unfilter light they will see the glare inside the blub and it will scare them.

Take your black light outside and shine it on your camo in bright sunlight, shade, partial shade, and at dusk or dawn. What do you see? I bet you see nothing or very little. Clothing with UV brighteners do not "emit" UV, they reflect UV. When you use a black light, there is a lot more UV to reflect. Use a black light in a darkened room and all there is to reflect is UV. I think there are many more things that prevent us from getting deer that are fixable with hard work and knowledge than can be fixed by purchasing another product. If you think eliminating UV is the missing link in your deer hunting, knock your self out. But I really don't think anyone will see much difference over just taking normal care to wash in detergent designed for hunting clothing. Just one man's opinion.

Thumbs up UV light

Going off of my past experiences, I am a total believer in using UV killer on all of my hunting clothes. I religiously re-spray my clothes with UV Killer every year. JMO
    WWW.ARCHERYPROSTAFF.COM SHOOTING STAFF
    [B]JBK BOWSTRINGS STAFF SHOOTER[/
    HARVEST TIME ARCHERY SHOOTING STAFF
    REEZEN 6.5

Now we are getting somewhere; some nice "opinions" being contributed at last!

Well Ancient, some of us have been deer hunting for many years. Myself I've been at it since the 70's. I have seen lots of things come and go. I have also had deer not notice me many times and I was not using UV Killer. This is some pretty good information IMO unless you choose to beleive something else. Whatever you choose, good luck to you this season and be safe.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringy View Post
    What do you see? I bet you see nothing or very little. Clothing with UV brighteners do not "emit" UV, they reflect UV. When you use a black light, there is a lot more UV to reflect.
    remember though, humans have a UV filter in their eyes which makes us incapable of seeing how much UV reflection a deer really can see.

It all reminds me of the famous" Acorn Cruncher" lol. Its all hype and advertizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Man View Post
    Well Ancient, some of us have been deer hunting for many years. Myself I've been at it since the 70's. I have seen lots of things come and go. I have also had deer not notice me many times and I was not using UV Killer. This is some pretty good information IMO unless you choose to beleive something else. Whatever you choose, good luck to you this season and be safe.
    Banjo Man,I can appreciate your experience as I've been hunting deer for a few years myself, since 1957, and have been very fortunate to have seen & taken my share of these animals. One always learns something new about this endeavor. Good luck to you as well!

Propaganda... I know some "field biologists" too... and deer do not see to the degree of a blacklight , they simply do see in an UV spectrum... but dont get too carried away with it...

They have fur too... we should all go out and invest in 300 dollar deer combs because they secretly wish we could brush them... don't believe me? ask one... I have a biologist here that says that its probable...

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    There is plenty of evidence to suggest that deer see in the Ultraviolet portion of the light spectrum. No need to hear it from a deer... ask a biologist.
    A biologist won`t know anymore about it than someone without a degree. His opinion would be purely speculation as well.
    Archerytalk=talking about archery. Is that so hard to understand?

If deer saw UV the way the commercials and some make it sound there wouldnt be a need for this board. We would quite simply never kill a deer. Deer obviously key on things that dont belong in their surroundings, ie...noises, sounds, smells, so sight would be just the same. Do you not think that the gigantic ball of blue light 20 feet up in that tree would seem out of place??? You could pick that out a mile away. The UV argument is played out and bogus

Quote Originally Posted by hunting170 View Post
    A biologist won`t know anymore about it than someone without a degree. His opinion would be purely speculation as well.

So do the majority of State Wildlife Commission base their hunter orange laws on opinion? Or perhaps they do so because orange colored apperal provides a safety measure to humans while no affecting concealment to game animals since those animals (deer) see in the ultraviolet portion of the light spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by volgrad7 View Post
    The UV argument is played out and bogus
    I disagree that it is bogus. We know that deer lack UV filters in their eyes so it is a fact that they can see in the UV spectrum. We will never know how our world appears to them as we simply cannot see UV light the way that they do. Using a blacklight simply shows us that our clothes are reflecting UV light although it may be very over or understated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast