Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How accurate is a crossbow

How accurate is a crossbow

Could you shoot a 60X score if you had your crossbow on a bench at 20yrds?

Crossbow with a rest is pretty accurate isnt it?

DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Warning, Warning, Wil Robinson, Warning

Warning

Quote Originally Posted by ezmoover View Post
    Warning, Warning, Wil Robinson, Warning
    Thought it was a simple question. Mods delete the thread. Ill stay away from this forum.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

i think i could with my hoyt before i could with my Xbow

Crossbow with a rest is pretty accurate isnt it?

Just as accurate as vertical a bow. If you take human error out of the equation they both can hit a bulls eye at 20 yds.

If you put a vetical bow in a Hooter Shooter can it shoot a 60x score?

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Just as accurate as vertical a bow. If you take human error out of the equation they both can hit a bulls eye at 20 yds.

If you put a vetical bow in a Hooter Shooter can it shoot a 60x score?
    How about just on a bench rest not locked in.

I received a pm saying they are capable of

best xbow groups have been 1"-1-5" for 5 shots at 50 yds (no wind)

Would you agree with this. If this is the case there darn accurate.
    DB

Rest

Quote Originally Posted by thehoytman69 View Post
    i think i could with my hoyt before i could with my Xbow
    If you had a bench rest to hold the weight could your xbow shoot very accurate?
    DB

Thumbs up Welcome to the crossbow forum, Dan.

Hello, Dan.

Jmo, I could shoot about as many 60X games in a row off a bench with my Scorpyd crossbow as I wanted.
    It would be so easy, it would become boring !
    I could shoot a 60X with just my elbows resting on my legs at 20 yards, imo.
    I'm not kidding in the least, dead serious.
    It really is that accurate and easy to hit an "X" with.
    The balance and trigger is superb on that bow !
    Last year my nephew, who had never shot a compound, rifle, or crossbow, shot 20 straight X's with my Scorpyd with just his left and right elbows resting on his legs like I taught him.
    Too bad, I don't live closer to you, Dan.
    I would bring my Scorpyd over to your place and let you shoot her and see for yourself.
    Offhand shooting a 60X ? No Way ! But shooting off a rest...piece of cake.
    BTW, you guys give Dan some slack, he's an ol' friend of mine.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb

Thanks Sag

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Hello, Dan.

Jmo, I could shoot about as many 60X games in a row off a bench with my Scorpyd crossbow as I wanted.
    It would be so easy, it would become boring !
    I could shoot a 60X with just my elbows resting on my legs at 20 yards, imo.
    I'm not kidding in the least, dead serious.
    It really is that accurate and easy to hit an "X" with.
    The balance and trigger is superb on that bow !
    Last year my nephew, who had never shot a compound, rifle, or crossbow, shot 20 straight X's with my Scorpyd with just his left and right elbows resting on his legs like I taught him.
    Too bad, I don't live closer to you, Dan.
    I would bring my Scorpyd over to your place and let you shoot her and see for yourself.
    Offhand shooting a 60X ? No Way ! But shooting off a rest...piece of cake.
    BTW, you guys give Dan some slack, he's an ol' friend of mine.
    I set my brothers Ten POint crossbow up and sighted it in. It grouped awesome and had a smooth trigger. I keep hearing guys who say crossbows cant shoot accurate as a compound. Sounds like to me they can. I have three guys that say 300 60X wouldnt be tough at all with a bench. Brother had cancer and got where he couldnt draw his bow so he uses a crossbow.

I shot against the ASA crossbow winner off hand on my team at Illnois and I agree off hand there no way. But maybe as materials get lighter in the future I can see it hapeneing.

I sometimes get questions about crossbows in the pro shop and want to give some honest answers about accuracy. Oklahoma new current laws many will be making the switch for hunting season.

Good friend of mine wants to go back to his regular bow. He says he cant hit with his crossbow. I need to see if I can help him. I told him we can set his stand so he uses the crossbar.
    Thanks DB
    DB

One of my brother harvests

Thanks for the pms

I understand the reason for PMs and appreciate it.

I appreciate honesty and some have given me true honesty. Crossbows or xbows if benched will shoot just as accurate as a compound and maybe even better.

Gives me info to pass on to those who ask.

I just dont get why some that shoot crossbows dont want to say this and express how well xbows will shoot. Eventually the videos will prove it openly. I do realize they will get even better in the future.

My state just passed them and I will see lots of my friends shooting them. Crossbow shooter came and wanted to join are team in the team shoot in Illnois and I enjoyed shooting with him. One of are tema members didnt show and he replaced him. It was interesting to watch him shoot. He won the ASA Illnois shoot as well. We won the team shoot.

Crossbows are here and will continue to grow. That I do know.
    DB
    DB

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's cancer and hope he's doing better !
    Hope he takes a big buck with his crossbow too.
    If you remember, I had a bad shoulder/bicep injury in 2006 and couldn't shoot my recurves or compounds for several years.
    So, last year I bought my crossbow and hunted with it.
    Finally, I have healed well enough to use a compound again and recently got a new 60lb Renegade 8 compound from OK Archery in Germany and love it.
    I'm going to hunt with both my crossbow and new compound this fall.
    I believe, some crossbow shooters are afraid to brag about the accuracy of their bows because some of the compound shooters call us lazy and cheaters for using a crossbow.
    If they ever have an injury like me or illness like your brother, they will change their mind real quick !
    I don't plan on extending my range with my crossbow so don't feel like I'm cheating at all in using one.
    Everyone who has shot my crossbow thinks it's a blast to shoot and really enjoys the accuracy.
    I say, hunt with anything you want as long as it's legal and safe.
    I love hunting with my big bore handguns too but that's another story.

I

on a bench with a Xbow i could shot 60x easy if i shot it as much as i do as my hoyt its all about practice

Well it depends on your own ability, that will determine how accurate a xbow can be. I'm disabled and have severe nerve damage, so I can't hit the bullseye everytime, real close to it most of the time. Xbows affords me the opportunity to get out in a blind and a chance to hunt like every other bow hunter enjoys! Beleive me, if I could shoot a recurve or compound bow I would. Just to get out there and enjoy the sport is worth it. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Sag

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's cancer and hope he's doing better !
    Hope he takes a big buck with his crossbow too.
    If you remember, I had a bad shoulder/bicep injury in 2006 and couldn't shoot my recurves or compounds for several years.
    So, last year I bought my crossbow and hunted with it.
    Finally, I have healed well enough to use a compound again and recently got a new 60lb Renegade 8 compound from OK Archery in Germany and love it.
    I'm going to hunt with both my crossbow and new compound this fall.
    I believe, some crossbow shooters are afraid to brag about the accuracy of their bows because some of the compound shooters call us lazy and cheaters for using a crossbow.
    If they ever have an injury like me or illness like your brother, they will change their mind real quick !
    I don't plan on extending my range with my crossbow so don't feel like I'm cheating at all in using one.
    Everyone who has shot my crossbow thinks it's a blast to shoot and really enjoys the accuracy.
    I say, hunt with anything you want as long as it's legal and safe.
    I love hunting with my big bore handguns too but that's another story.

I

Brother killed everthing and some good dandy bucks with his crossbow. Crossbows in Oklahoma are legal and now its the hunter choice. I just want honesty from Xbow users and dont be afriad to admit its an easier weapon to use and actually maybe the more accurate weapon for hunting.

Im older and enjoy taking others more than shooting myself any more. Years of shooting deer you often just enjoy the outdoors.
    DB

Bigbowman

Quote Originally Posted by BigBowMan View Post
    Well it depends on your own ability, that will determine how accurate a xbow can be. I'm disabled and have severe nerve damage, so I can't hit the bullseye everytime, real close to it most of the time. Xbows affords me the opportunity to get out in a blind and a chance to hunt like every other bow hunter enjoys! Beleive me, if I could shoot a recurve or compound bow I would. Just to get out there and enjoy the sport is worth it. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
    I got a 63 yr old member on my lease. He hit four deer with his compound bow last and not one was recovered. He has a good crossbow and Im going to encorage him to use it this year. Sometimes you just got to admit its time to hang it up. Might get there myself oneday.
    DB

I can if I'm allowed to use my Tasco 2.5-10x50mm Mil-Dot rifle scope. I'd set the scope on 10 power and then start smoking the x's.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tenpoint TL-7 View Post
    I can if I'm allowed to use my Tasco 2.5-10x50mm Mil-Dot rifle scope. I'd set the scope on 10 power and then start smoking the x's.
    Your obviously a good shot.

If you and me were shooting from a treestand

You could sit and had a bar to sit the crossbow on with your scope.

I stood and shot my compound.

Shots out to 30yrds.

Do you feel you would be just as accurate or even better than me. Im old and just an average joe shooter.

Sag I think I know your answer but let me have it as well.
    DB

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    I got a 63 yr old member on my lease. He hit four deer with his compound bow last and not one was recovered. He has a good crossbow and Im going to encorage him to use it this year. Sometimes you just got to admit its time to hang it up. Might get there myself oneday.
    DB
    That's great advice. I never lost a deer with my crossbow. 100% recovery for me.
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

Shots out to 30yrds.

Do you feel you would be just as accurate or even better than me. Im old and just an average joe shooter.

DB
    Yes. Last year I made a perfect shot on a 6 point buck at 30 yards using the tasco scope and the Tenpoint SteddyEddy a must have products.
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Tenpoint TL-7 View Post
    Yes. Last year I made a perfect shot on a 6 point buck at 30 yards using the tasco scope and the Tenpoint SteddyEddy a must have products.
    In practice how big are your groups at 30yrds from a tree. Honestly I can hit the 12 ring most the time from that distance. Half dollar size groups.
    DB

This is not an anti crossbow thread from what I have read, but please do mind the "p's and q's" and don't turn this into one of those pesky crossbow debates.

Crossbows are very accurate when rested, even out to 50 yards. There is certainly more drop at that distance than a compound and as DB discovered at ASA, they are not more accurate than a compound off-hand. From a tree-stand I can hold a 4" cirle at 30 yards, but I practice ALOT! Distance judgement is more important with a crossbow beyond 25 yards.

They are a blast to shoot and offer more options and opportunities for all but have other significant disadvantages like weight, noise, inability to reload and shoot another arrow quickly/silently, etc. Still find myself hunting with one as much as my vertical bows however just because I love the challenge!

Shots out to 30yrds.

DB

Dan,

You're right, I believe, I could beat you most every time with me having a rested aim vs you standing and shooting your compound.
    Your heartbeat alone would most likely prevent you from shooting as well as me while the bar would allow me to pretty much control mine.
    You might just smoke me if I shot my compound but I believe, I would beat you with my crossbow.
    I have shot a few decent 5-Spot NFAA scores with a compound but certainly not good enough to win at Louisville !

Hey DB, ..I just got a crossbow sense they passed the law. started shooting it this passed weekend .After a bit ,I tried shooting 125 gr magnus snuffers and they shoot better then field points out of my wicked ridge .I do plan on hunting with it this season ..Anyway, All I can say is as for me I do not think I am any better or worse of a shot then I am with a compound . That is if I have been shooting my compound bow arrows tuned etc...I am not going to have much time to shoot this year that is one reason I got the Xbow..The other is my two girls. I plan on taking them out in a blind and let them try the xbow hunting ..Neither one can pull back a 40lb bow ..But, one did get a doe with a 243 last year..

My only question is how high do I hold the fourty over for a 70 yard shoot ...LOL

Best to you this Season..
    It's all about what tracks a man leaves as well as his prey..

Like vertical bows ... crossbows are ... more accurate than 98% of the people who shoot them. Best wishes to your brother.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr RamCats, & Firenocks. Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Crossbow

Dan,

You're right, I believe, I could beat you most every time with me having a rested aim vs you standing and shooting your compound.
    Your heartbeat alone would most likely prevent you from shooting as well as me while the bar would allow me to pretty much control mine.
    You might just smoke me if I shot my compound but I believe, I would beat you with my crossbow.
    I have shot a few decent 5-Spot NFAA scores with a compound but certainly not good enough to win at Louisville !
    Thanks Sag, I agree one could very deadly accurate with these weapons.
    DB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast