Archery Talk Forum banner

How much water does a deer need?

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bobmuley 
#1 ·
I got to thinking today about the lack of water on most of the mountain tops that I hunt and was wondering how often a deer needs water, especially during the summer. I was thinking about digging a pit and putting a plastic container in it to collect water for them.

#2 ·
Dear get a lot of their hydration through their diet in the spring and summer. Leaves and grasses have a high moisture content. They often times need Salt to balance out the hydration level. Thats why salt blocks and other mineral licks are so popular among deer this time of year but not as much come hunting season. I think the main reason for deer needing water would be if their diet didn't have a lot of moisture in it. A small drinking pond certainly wouldn't hurt the deer

#3 ·
I just recently did this using a baby pool. I'm not sure how well it's going to work but we got a lot of rain this week so it shold have filled up. I'll probably be checking sometime soon and see if I have any game cam photos.

#7 ·
I agree, I have seen them drink out of a pond but very rarely, I did hear one drinking once @ 87 yards but that was a rare feat as well. To the OP this is a really good question, I don't know if there are any wildlife biologist that could give an answer as to why deer don't seem to drink that much water.

#8 ·
I have only seen a deer drink water once maybe twice in 35 yrs. They don't need water to live. I have seen the Everglades so dry it looked like the desert and the deer can live through drought and fires for months.

#9 ·
There was an article on this in Deer and Deer Hunting this summer. I can't find it online, but it basically said that the largest majority of their water comes from the foods that they eat. They don't have to drink much water to make it.

And I agree, a kid pool in the woods is probably a bad idea.

#10 ·
All our deer depend on water. If there isn't any, there's no deer.

We don't have a lot of what you'd call lush vegetation though either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.