Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for enclosed trailer to camper conversion?

Ideas for enclosed trailer to camper conversion?

I just picked up an enclosed trailer that I plan on using as a camper during hunting season.
    It's a 6x12 wedge front.
    It has a ramp in the rear and an RV style door on the side.
    Also has one camper style window on the same side as the door.
    I plan on adding a couple of bunks.

Looking for some unique ideas to make it as useful as possible.
    "Pick a spot."
    --Fred Bear

buddy heater is a must. It won't kill you while you sleep. It also works great in the blind. Get the hose for the bulk lp tank conversion.

You could make bunks that fold down to become the back of a couch. That would save space and be super cool.

put stabilizer jacks on the corners. you'll appreciate the stablility. I recommend just a removable tounge jack on each corner. I like the ones that mount on a pipe end, with a hole for a bolt. You pull them to travel, or flip them sideways and pin them.

Oh yeah.. I'd also put a 12 volt light system inside, if it doesn't already have one. I recommend wiring it so yuo can use a marine battery and charge it withthe pickup trailer light system hook up...

google this subject, you will see some great ideas, you have beaten me to this project let us know how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by Swift516 View Post
    Oh yeah.. I'd also put a 12 volt light system inside, if it doesn't already have one. I recommend wiring it so yuo can use a marine battery and charge it withthe pickup trailer light system hook up...
    Ditto but look into solar charger for the marine battery.

Don't know if you saw my post in the bowhunting forum but here it is again:

I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTXpCHEgjoQ

Pics of how everything was done...

i did a 8.5x20 that we use for deer camp and also ATV camping, I added bunks and use 1 cot in the back, put in cabinets,microwave,fridge, for a table just a card table, built helmet shelf,shelf for a flat screen tv heater i use a 10,000 btu ventless hang on the wall unit that is more then enough..last gun season i just used 2 little electric heaters and it stayed 65 degrees at night..with the bunks and cabinets it hold 3 full size atvs mounted the 2 propane tanks on the tounge and just use a camp stove for cooking on, I got about $500 into the inside conversion, its nothing fancy but it beats the tent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 PSE Vendetta XL, Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2012 PSE Dominator 3D Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Doinker,CBE,Goldtip Arrows.

Thanks guys. Great ideas.

Fold down bunks are definitely in the plans.

I already have 12v interior and exterior light systems with a marine battery and charger.
    I like the solar charger idea. I've heard of some people getting these at Harbor Freight.
    If anyone has experience with these, let me know.

Also, any suggestions on generators would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
    "Pick a spot."
    --Fred Bear

Thumbs up

With it having a ramp on the back, I would borrow the idea they use on the toyhauler type campers. Basically,depending on weather it allows you to use that ramp as horizontal floorspace which is enclosed in vinyl or screen,whichever you prefer. I think they call them screen rooms or similar. adds alot of useable space for minimal cost.

Quote Originally Posted by plotman View Post
    With it having a ramp on the back, I would borrow the idea they use on the toyhauler type campers. Basically,depending on weather it allows you to use that ramp as horizontal floorspace which is enclosed in vinyl or screen,whichever you prefer. I think they call them screen rooms or similar. adds alot of useable space for minimal cost.
    Generator choices would be either 1.) Honda or 2.) Yamaha. Both are pricey but very quiet. I would get the heaviest gauge extension cord I could find and put it as far from the camper as you can. Go as big (wattage) as you can afford and store. Anything with a heating element in it will normally pull 1500 watts. Refridgerators and air conditioners can pull a quite a bit on start up too. Yamaha makes a dual fuel generator that runs on either gas or propane. Propane would be nice so you don't stink up the trailer hauling gas cans with you to your hunting spot.

Oh...insulate it. It will help with condensation, keep in the cool, keep out the cold and muffle the noise when its raining!!

Very cool idea by the way.
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

Here is a forum devoted to cargo trailer conversions, you can look around there for days at all the cool stuff people have come up with.
    http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/vie...1f772e892be69f

Elkstalker

Quote Originally Posted by elkstalker View Post
    Here is a forum devoted to cargo trailer conversions, you can look around there for days at all the cool stuff people have come up with.
    http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/vie...1f772e892be69f

Elkstalker

Thanks, Elkstalker!!

Tons of info and ideas on this site.
    "Pick a spot."
    --Fred Bear

haha thats awesome...
    08 High Country Iron Mace - 70# DW with 30'' DL
    Victory V3's wrapped by BattleDrum steered by FOBs with G5 Montec doing the cutting
    Smooth Stability 12'' Stabilizer
    Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme Release
    Treelimb Quivers ---- Sure Loc Leathal Weapon

Cargo trailer conversion

Here is a messy pic of mine I have been using for about 8 years. I put a horizontal propane tank in the back underneath and a 40 gallons of water between the axles. cataletic heater and a ondemand water heater cheap one for about 100$. I have a two buner stove and wire rack shelves along the roof line 12" down for a 6 ft shelf. The bunks are made of 1.25" square tube with a support acrossed the bottom for the big guys, my wife made a canvas suspension system with some rods and rope. We use pillow top bed pads for more comfort. The lights are LED 2 each 25 leds could use more but I use a lattern most of the time. Hope this helps you go beyond what I have done. I will post some better pics if you would like to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut400 View Post
    Here is a messy pic of mine I have been using for about 8 years. I put a horizontal propane tank in the back underneath and a 40 gallons of water between the axles. cataletic heater and a ondemand water heater cheap one for about 100$. I have a two buner stove and wire rack shelves along the roof line 12" down for a 6 ft shelf. The bunks are made of 1.25" square tube with a support acrossed the bottom for the big guys, my wife made a canvas suspension system with some rods and rope. We use pillow top bed pads for more comfort. The lights are LED 2 each 25 leds could use more but I use a lattern most of the time. Hope this helps you go beyond what I have done. I will post some better pics if you would like to see more.
    Looks pretty close to what I had in mind.
    If you have any other pics, I'd like to see them.
    Especially the propane and water tanks.

Looks like you're a ways off the road in the pic.
    Did you do anything to increase ground clearance?

Thanks.
    "Pick a spot."
    --Fred Bear

Conversion trailer

Here is the pics I have. THE water tank is from a wrecked rv 40 gallons, it is located between the axles(hard to get pics of). The trailer is a snowmobile trailer and is over the tire deck giving it plenty of ground clearance. Trailer is 18' to from of vee nose I can put 4 honda 300 for wheelers in it with some space left over. I have four bunks I usally have in, I took them out to give me and my son more room for playing cards. The propane tank is from another wrecked rv I think 15 gallons I have not had to fill it for 2 years. The main thing I like about my trailer is the leveling jacks I put on the back corners, I don't have to mess around when I get to a camping spott to level it up, it also helps stabilize when people are walking around. Let me know if you have more ??? Hope this helps

great job guys....

nice guys!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Quest Hammer 28"/70#, QAD Rests, TrophyRidge Sights, Alpine Quivers, TruFire Releases, G5 Broadheads, BowJax Silencing, Beaman Arrows, Blazer vanes

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut400 View Post
    Here is the pics I have. THE water tank is from a wrecked rv 40 gallons, it is located between the axles(hard to get pics of). The trailer is a snowmobile trailer and is over the tire deck giving it plenty of ground clearance. Trailer is 18' to from of vee nose I can put 4 honda 300 for wheelers in it with some space left over. I have four bunks I usally have in, I took them out to give me and my son more room for playing cards. The propane tank is from another wrecked rv I think 15 gallons I have not had to fill it for 2 years. The main thing I like about my trailer is the leveling jacks I put on the back corners, I don't have to mess around when I get to a camping spott to level it up, it also helps stabilize when people are walking around. Let me know if you have more ??? Hope this helps
    I thought that type of water heater needs water pressure like from a municpal water source. do you use a pump out of your water tank in to the heater? Also, is that water heater propane or electric?
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

I use a surflo (12VDC) water pump from the water tank to the water heater. Yes it is propane, I plumbed propane lines to all of the accesories such as stove, cataletic heater and water heater. i used 3/4" black pipe to plumb everything. I also put a propane outlet outside for a bbq.

solar panels

"I like the solar charger idea. I've heard of some people getting these at Harbor Freight.
    If anyone has experience with these, let me know."

I dont know what your timeline is but a much better set of panels is on sale on amazon right now
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50048...1546802&sr=8-1
    and its a comparable price to the harbor freight set just higher output and quality
    I plan on putting the two sets i just bought on my trailer when i get home

I'm glad you posted this!! I'm in the process of buying a 6'x12' and want to do the same type of conversion. I used a pop up last year but the damn mice chewed holes in the top and ate the curtains and seat cushions. I will keep you posted on my build.
    Living the Bow Hunting High Life One Tree at a Time!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast