a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Foc?

Foc?

I recently bought a dozen GT 7595's. I have them at 27" and shooting them at 71#. I ditched my wraps and put in 22 grain nocturnal nocks. My broadheads are 100 grain. This works out to be only 8.77 FOC. Does this sound like a problem? I know that at least 10% FOC is desired...I know the true test will be when I actually shoot them. These arrows are also on the stiff side I know. I guess I could always go with 125 grain heads and solve both FOC and the spine but I will lose speed. Thanks for any imput.

125 gr head would cause less than 5 fps loss (i think) proper spine and foc would be a lot more important

If the spine is good and they fly true with the 8.77 FOC then stay with your current setup. Do a walk back test and see how they are flying. FOC is just another guide to look at. The true test is how are they flying

If your shooting a fixed blade broadhead, that's really low. Low in general, I would go with 125's at a minimum.

Of course you can test this for yourself, shoot your broadheads from several positions (sitting, twisting side to side at the waist, shooting down from an elevated position) and see how they do.

A low FOC just means that any error in you shot form will be magnified.

Well Ive come up with two setups now. First is a 390 grain 27" GT 7595 with 100 grain heads that have 8.77 FOC shooting at 300FPS and the second is the same arrow at 415 grains with a 125 grain head shooting at 291FPS with around 11 FOC. The first set ups KE is just over 77 and the second is just over 80. This would mean that set up two has better KE and FOC but is 9 FPS slower. Im sure I shouldnt worry about the 9 FPS but ever since I shot my PSE XForce GX6 last year I awlays feel I need to be over 300FPS. It must be a sickness. Because just a few years ago I was thrilled to hit 285 FPS with an arrow that only weighed 355 Grains.

forget the fps. go with the 125 grain head setup. the best way to get over the fps sickness is never check what you fps is again...ever.

does it really matter...really?

Well I kinda agree with you but I think it does matter as far as guessing your yardages. It just gives you a little more room for error.

Well I decided on the 125 grain grizztricks. My arrow comes in at 415 grains and is shooting 292 FPS. The FOC is now 10.55 which isnt bad. The nocturnals really hurt your FOC but they are pretty cool. My KE is around 78.50. I probably wont even miss that 8 FPS from the lighter arrow set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper69 View Post
    Well I kinda agree with you but I think it does matter as far as guessing your yardages. It just gives you a little more room for error.
    that's probably fair. i think you made a good choice with the 125s.

now put one through an animal and shows us the pics.