Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: why am i always shooting left ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    903

    why am i always shooting left ?

    why do i always shoot left? i move the sight and yet still shoot left. i have a habit of either pullnig my shots or pushing them. Have the anchor sight and thats not helping. im a right handed shooter. any tips?



    trav
    '10 Cracked Out Infinity: Betty
    55lbs# 29DL 350grains....283fps
    HHA Sight XL Slider, QAD HD, Stealth 6" Stab
    Maxima 250's, Scott Shark, Cat Whiskers RULE!!
    Treewalker,Millenium M100, Lonewolf Sticks and Slick Tricks BABY


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    4,964
    Draw length may be too long or torque!
    Romans 5:12

  3. #3
    If you shoot with both eyes open, perhaps your left is more dominate than you realized, try closing your left eye and see if that helps. if you already shoot on eyed my bet is the draw length. Also could be a bit of grip torque or grabbing the bow goood luck.

  4. #4

    Shoot left

    Possibly your rest, try a walk back tuning.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    7,234
    Your draw length might be a little long. I am also thinking that you might be torquing the bow some. It doesn't take much torque to miss a few inches right or left. Try relaxing your grip a little and see if that works.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Winchester VA
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    why do i always shoot left? i move the sight and yet still shoot left. i have a habit of either pullnig my shots or pushing them. Have the anchor sight and thats not helping. im a right handed shooter. any tips?

    trav
    I feel your pain. I have the same issue, and its about to drive me insane. My pin just settles to the left, and its a major fight to get it where I want it. I have shortened my draw length, then lengthened it, decreased draw weight, increased draw weight, tried single pin sights, tried multi pin sights, closing my stance, everything.
    Still always fighting my pin settling left of bullseye.

    I will be very interested to see any advise/responses you get.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    385
    One thing you might lining your bow up with the target then closing your eyes and coming to full draw, get comfortable and open your eyes, I did this and I usually ended up way to the right so I opened my stance until I close my eyes and draw and then open them and my pin is in line with the target. Lastly it could be peeking by pushing the bow to the left and raising your head.
    Matthews Z7 65#
    QAD ultra rest
    Spot Hogg Real Deal
    G5 T3
    Easton 3/49 A/C/C Shafts

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In The Mountains
    Posts
    3,020
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    why do i always shoot left? i move the sight and yet still shoot left. i have a habit of either pullnig my shots or pushing them. Have the anchor sight and thats not helping. im a right handed shooter. any tips?

    trav
    ...you are moving your sight to the left to move your arrows impact point to the right correct??...

    ...rule of thumb: follow the arrow...

    ...just checking

    ...for some the solution will be that simple!!...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    903
    i feel as though my grip is relaxed as it is open with fingers out to the side. my pin settles on the exact point and as i release i see it shooting off to the left off the get go. i shoot roughly an inch or so left at 20 yards and add an inch per 10 yards. ????????

    and yes i move the sight to the left to the impact point.

    t
    '10 Cracked Out Infinity: Betty
    55lbs# 29DL 350grains....283fps
    HHA Sight XL Slider, QAD HD, Stealth 6" Stab
    Maxima 250's, Scott Shark, Cat Whiskers RULE!!
    Treewalker,Millenium M100, Lonewolf Sticks and Slick Tricks BABY

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Schoharie NY
    Posts
    1,260
    Your either torquing your bow or your not following through with your shot (peeking). Keep your eye on target till arrow hits target.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    903
    any more thoughts. ill try all that are listed tomorrow morning
    '10 Cracked Out Infinity: Betty
    55lbs# 29DL 350grains....283fps
    HHA Sight XL Slider, QAD HD, Stealth 6" Stab
    Maxima 250's, Scott Shark, Cat Whiskers RULE!!
    Treewalker,Millenium M100, Lonewolf Sticks and Slick Tricks BABY

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    australia,,nsw
    Posts
    38
    i sometimes hit to the left and i find that with finger shooting if i dont concentrate on my where my fingers are i twist the string sideways and that does it every time ...jas

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cullbuckville, Illinois
    Posts
    6,347
    Sounds like you're peeking. Instead of looking at the arrow like you normally do after the shot, concentrate on keeping your pins on the target so you can see the target inside the housing of your sight. If that helps then that means you are definitely peeking and dropping your bow too quickly in anticipation of seeing where the arrow goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    I doubt they dropped her because she's a hunter. They likely dropped her because of the effect her reputation as a hunter has on their target audience.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    i feel as though my grip is relaxed as it is open with fingers out to the side. my pin settles on the exact point and as i release i see it shooting off to the left off the get go. i shoot roughly an inch or so left at 20 yards and add an inch per 10 yards. ????????

    and yes i move the sight to the left to the impact point.

    t
    Relaxed is not the same as open. The goal is mushy muscles with bow resting on bone not tense muscle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    903
    ok ill try the mushy hand and keep my arrow in the sight housing. but what about a follow through? is that needed?
    '10 Cracked Out Infinity: Betty
    55lbs# 29DL 350grains....283fps
    HHA Sight XL Slider, QAD HD, Stealth 6" Stab
    Maxima 250's, Scott Shark, Cat Whiskers RULE!!
    Treewalker,Millenium M100, Lonewolf Sticks and Slick Tricks BABY

  16. #16
    I am thinking torque related ( that was my issue with the left shots and I'm a righty)

    Try a two finger grip with the index/middle finger around the grip ( loosely) and the other two folded in and between palm of had and bow handle.

    A) you cant death choke the bow handle any more
    B) it shifts your grip off the lifleline crease a bit.

    This is what fixed some of my bad habits

    D*

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In The Mountains
    Posts
    3,020
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    but what about a follow through? is that needed?
    ...YES...IMHO a "Dynamic Release" AKA Follow thru is critical for most to shoot properly...or to be able to get their "form" in somewhat the proper condition to perform well and consistently over time...especially if at some point you make the choice to start shooting tournaments...either 3D or spots...

    ...your bow hand and consequently your bow should after the shot "push" directly toward the target and your release hand should move in a "dynamic" fashion in exactly the opposite direction...

    ...this is also known as the "push/pull" technique and helps to create the proper and repetable balance between your two pressure points...

    ...can some shoot well without this type of follow thru??...YES...

    ...I mean heck, TED NUGENT even cants his bow and he still makes some good shots, at least the ones he shows ...could UNCLE TED do well with this technique on a field course...probably no so much...

    ...so yeah, you can go off the reservation and still do decent...but if you want to solve issues, become a much better shooter, then it's best to remove the problems from the equation

    ...and shooting with proper form/technique/follow thru is a darn good starting point...

  18. #18
    I find that when I anticipate the shot, my arrows drift left. If I have a nice surprise release with good follow through, my arrows are true. If I start gripping a little too much then my arrows drift right.

    Try to concentrate on the spot you are aiming at as you pull back against the wall or however you release your arrow.
    '09 Rytera Alien X/Extreme Sight/QAD HD/AEP Stab/TRU Ball Beast Wriststrap
    Target arrows: Easton Flatliner 500s - Hunting arrows: Easton FMJ 400s/Muzzy 3-Blade 100s

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DONDEERE View Post
    ...YES...IMHO a "Dynamic Release" AKA Follow thru is critical for most to shoot properly...or to be able to get their "form" in somewhat the proper condition to perform well and consistently over time...especially if at some point you make the choice to start shooting tournaments...either 3D or spots...

    ...your bow hand and consequently your bow should after the shot "push" directly toward the target and your release hand should move in a "dynamic" fashion in exactly the opposite direction...

    ...this is also known as the "push/pull" technique and helps to create the proper and repetable balance between your two pressure points...

    ...can some shoot well without this type of follow thru??...YES...

    ...I mean heck, TED NUGENT even cants his bow and he still makes some good shots, at least the ones he shows ...could UNCLE TED do well with this technique on a field course...probably no so much...

    ...so yeah, you can go off the reservation and still do decent...but if you want to solve issues, become a much better shooter, then it's best to remove the problems from the equation

    ...and shooting with proper form/technique/follow thru is a darn good starting point...
    Uncle Ted started with traditional archery. Canting is a hold over. Most of us modern archers have never touched a longbow or recurve. We'd probably be better shooters and more instinctual if we had.
    '09 Rytera Alien X/Extreme Sight/QAD HD/AEP Stab/TRU Ball Beast Wriststrap
    Target arrows: Easton Flatliner 500s - Hunting arrows: Easton FMJ 400s/Muzzy 3-Blade 100s

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In The Mountains
    Posts
    3,020
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher View Post
    Uncle Ted started with traditional archery. Canting is a hold over. Most of us modern archers have never touched a longbow or recurve. We'd probably be better shooters and more instinctual if we had.
    ...indeed, your remarks about Theodore Von Nugenburger are 100% correct

    ...word on the street says he only started using a peep not long ago

  21. #21
    Its all about the grip if your bow is tuned right it has to be your grip get a hand strap and when you draw back keep your hand open and just barley rest your fingers on the bow then shoot. Make sure you do the same thing every time, but this should solve your problem. Do this then squeeze your grip while looking at the sight and you should see the sight move left or right, after doing this you will be able to notice if that's the problem. Aim Small Miss Small Follow through! Follow through is the most important thing! And remember do the same thing every time the same way. Aim small miss small follow through!! Works for me and everyone I teach I hope it works for you!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens michigan
    Posts
    2,710
    You need to try shooting left that's what happend to me

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    south holland,il
    Posts
    1,232
    2 things it sounds like you are probably canting your bow to the left which would cause you to hit further left the farther back you get. also check you center shot do so by french tuning instead of a walk back. French tuning is quicker and i believe more accurate. Heres the link if you want to give it a

    try.http://www.dudleyarchery.info/articles/usarcher1FT.pdf

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    El Reno, OK
    Posts
    2,224

    For real

    You lost me at your sight, GET A PEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you fix that and still have a problem Check Your DL

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19

    Follow through

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    but what about a follow through? is that needed?
    Yes...If I do not follow through by pushing my bow hand straight towards the target, I have a tendency to hit left. I think it is because I tend to push out to the left with my bow hand, and when I release the arrow, the bow moves slightly left before the arrow comes off the string. This becomes worse when I have shot a lot and am getting tired.

    By my calculations, it takes less than 30 thousandths of an inch bow hand movement to move the arrow off an inch at 30 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •