Thread: Horton Explorer XL 150 users

Horton Explorer XL 150 users

Just bought my first crossbow. Have lots of questions. First of all i would like to hear from owners there thoughts on this crossbow. Got any pics of game you can post?

I am looking at shooting 20" cabelas bolts and 100grain broadheads. Trying to decide on a broadhead. I have read alot of good things on Slick Tricks and also some expandables. Your thoughts?

I have the red dot scope what do you guys have your three dots sighted for?

How often do you wear through a string?

Thanks,
    Dan

I just bought the same horton...looking for info also.

I think that if you go on Crossbow Nation and ask Guide Girl, that she can give you some feedback. I think that she was shooting one and was using Muzzy Phantoms. As far as broadheads go, I think that you need to just try some. I shoot the Horton Summit 150 which is a similar crossbow. Slick trick magnums and Muzzy MX-4's both shot real low. Spitfires flew well for me last year, but I think that I am going to try some Grim Reapers and NAP Shockwaves this year.

Smile

I shot the Horton Legend 150 and I use the Cabelas Stalker X bolts. I used Muzzy 100gr 3 blades the last 2 years. Each time the POI would be different. I recently tried the 125gr field poits and they hit the same exact spot where I'm aiming. I also just switched to 125gr 2 Blade Rage's 2 weeks ago and love them so far. I air up at least 20 fist sized baloons every time I shot and have not missed 1 yet. These things are amazing. Horton told me my speed would be about 260fps but I havn't checked it out yet. I love this combo with the Stalker X's and the Rages my total weight is 425gr. 300bolt and 125 broadhead. Hope this helps a little.

explorer was my first xbow, i have trt 175 and legend 175 now, i wished i had never sold it, it,s quieter than the bows i have now and shot just great..i killed 2 does with it with good penetration shooting 100grn 3 blade muzzy,s with 2219 arrows and moon nocks..was very easy to handle in blind or stand and not clumsy feeling, easy on strings and could hand cock easy..i still may get another cause that was one tough little xbow..BTW i put a crosshair scope on mine and liked it much better than dots...but that is all personal preference

Thanks for the info guys. I am probably going to try Slick Tricks as I have read alot of good on them out of xbows. I am a low budget guy so trying alot of things is not feasable. I shoot expandables out of my regular bow because I don't want to deal with the broadheads not hittine were my field points do.

I shot the xbow a ton when I got it and my serving broke already. But that was before I started reading alot and realized waxing the string and slide was important. I am guessing this is why my serving broke so quickly.

I picked the xbow up from a guy at a yard sale and it was never shot for $60. I am going to Ohio for the first time in Nov. and can't wait to shoot a deer with it.

For those of you shooting the red dot scopes what distance do you sight in the three dots?

if i remember right setting top at 20 ,after that each dot was 8yds because of bow speed...20,28,36..but you may have to put your dial-a-range on 1 to get this..my forgetter is working tonight so i can,t think of the exact way mine was set up

In the book that came with mine, it said the dots were 20,30 and 40. I'm assuming your settings are more accurate from experience. Thanks for the info.

I agree with Buckbill on the yardage. Thats about where mine is to. The book says 20,30,and 40 but at 40 I'm a couple inches low.

Practiced with my bow at 20 yards until I was confident. When this deer showed up my shot was a long one. Bottom dot aimed on the spine and dead centered the bolt in the deer.My very first deer, a doe, and I shot it from my kitchen patio. We were watching the deer eat at a corn pile and my wife said" why don't you shoot one". So I snuck to my shop and grabbed a broadhead. In my shorts and no shoes let an arrow fly from my crossbow at 44 yards and I was standing in my kitchen with the screendoor open!!!! My mom and dad are visiting and they both said"You missed it". Well, I found the arrow and it was a double lung pass thru and soaked with blood. Deer ran about 75 yards and died!!!! I am still jacked 5 hours later! Only have my camo on cuz I needed long pants and sleeves on to look for her.heres some pics. By the way, I'm 52 y/o and have never killed anything other than a squirrel!Deer ticks are crazy....all over me! But worth it! GO BEARS!

that's great, i'm feeding some corn to deer in my back yard. when i ever get my broadheads in from ebay i'm gonna try and get me a nice doe for the freezer. haven't seen any bucks since season started tho, they probably coming in at nite.

Did ya get ya one yet?

haven't got one yet, but got fooled this morning. i hunted till 11 then went in for dinner, my wife looked out the kitchen window while i was eating and said a big doe in back yard. she was about 60yds away to far for me as i haven't practiced past 40, no way to get in range so i took a few picks with camera. i'm going back in a few days, i would try tomorrow but i got to go to the docter in the morning, wednesday tho i'll try again.

Just shot my first buck monday, a small 4 pointer....from the same spot in the kitchen. Was hunting at he other end of my property and had given up. On way up the hill I spotted a small buck at my cornpile in back area. Snuck in front door, had wife sneak patio door open and wham....he went about 20 yards fell, got up and then twirled back to ground. Gave him 45 minutes and found him 20 yards from where he was hit. For what its worth I used a walmart bolt and a walmart broadhead! Not an endorsement, just saying.No camo cuz I was in a blind. Here's a pic

BIGBADDAD, Great job, what broadhead did you use on that guy. Walmart sells lots just wondering if you could tell me the name.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.

It was a set of 3 that had a rating of 8.7 or 8.4 on the pack...can't remember the brand name. They had all different packs and styles of this brand.3 blade fixed.

I went to an archery shop and tested about 5 different broadheads. Bullseyed with a medtec G5 100 grain.