a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: what is the best trail camera for the money

what is the best trail camera for the money

ive heard that moultrei is good but dont really know , if anyone has used one i ask r they worth buying or is there a better one ?

Depends on how you are using it. If over a feeder or a mineral block where the animals will be there for a bit, pretty much any of the lower end cameras will do the job - most of the time. If on a trail where speed is a premium, then it narrows down quite a bit and, in my opinion, most lower end cams are useless.

I use homebrews and if you don't know anything about them, scroll down and read some threads and look at some pics, you might get your interest peaked. Hopefully, some of the guys using commercial cams will jump in and give you their thoughts.

If your are considering

the Bang for yourr Buck factor - Homebrews are the way to go - now they don't cost $100 or anything, but they tend to outperform their commercial counterparts and if you get hooked up with the right builder the service can be beyond outstanding....

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

Camera

I have several different cameras, and he is my opinion and my uses. I am not making posters out of my pictures and use them as a hunting tool. The best bang for the buck and a workhorse of a camera is the Moultrie D-40/D-50. Pictures are good day and night, long flash range, good battery life and good videos as well. Natchex has them for $79-89 dollars I beleive. Not had good luck with the Wildveiws, and the Upper end Wildgame Innovations cams are not too bad but get several whiteouts in the change from day to night. You will get what you pay for as far as features, but for my uses the Moultie cams just keep on taking pics without problems year after year. Again this is my opinion.
    Jake
    TopShotArchery.Com Pro Staff
    Scott's Strings Shooting Staff
    Hoyt Katera, Fuse Stabalizer, True-Glo Sights, WB Rest
    64lbs, 29" DL, Easton FMJ Arrows, Rage heads

I've got some D40's helping collect dust under the bench. They hog up 6 D's every 2-3 weeks in the dead of winter. They are so slow you have to angle them down a trail or put them where an animal will stop for a couple seconds. If you are set on a camera you can use for something other than bait, get a homebrew or one of the higher end commercial cams like a cuddeback or better yet, a reconyx. For hunting purposes, speed matters more than photo quality, but its nice to be able to count the points. Just my opinion.

Cuddeback used to make higher end cameras; not anymore. They are in the same class with the rest of the crew of high capability, low quality control, high failure rate cameras.

In the commercial area, you have two choices for good quality control and low failure rates. You mentioned one, Reconyx, and the other is BuckeyeCam. You will pay a pretty sizable up front cost, but you will get a quality unit. Both offer black flash which has zero impact on deer.

For picture quality, you won't beat a homebrew, but unit quality and customer service is completely dependent on the builder. Because this is mom-and-pop type operation, it varies from junk to outstanding. If you build it yourself, it is as good as you are.

Thanks,

Jack

I now have 3 homebrews from 12-ringer and they are awsome ! I will never buy another commercial cam ! Just my 2 cents worth !
    "MONSTERS INC." Pro staff, home of the "BIG BUCK SERIAL KILLERS "
    -Centaur carbon elite- 51@28
    -Mathews Creed

Quote Originally Posted by yoderj@cox.net View Post
    Cuddeback used to make higher end cameras; not anymore. They are in the same class with the rest of the crew of high capability, low quality control, high failure rate cameras.

In the commercial area, you have two choices for good quality control and low failure rates. You mentioned one, Reconyx, and the other is BuckeyeCam. You will pay a pretty sizable up front cost, but you will get a quality unit. Both offer black flash which has zero impact on deer.

For picture quality, you won't beat a homebrew, but unit quality and customer service is completely dependent on the builder. Because this is mom-and-pop type operation, it varies from junk to outstanding. If you build it yourself, it is as good as you are.

Thanks,

Jack
    What he said...

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by yoderj@cox.net View Post

Thanks,

Jack

Nicely stated!!

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

In my opinion the best cam for the $$ is the new Moultrie D-55, got a few of them for $79.99 each. Great pic quality, both day and night, very easy to use/set up and awesome battery life. These days I dont see any reason to spend more than $100.00 on a cam. Pike

The best camera is one that works for you. Everyone is going to have good opinions on them. I loved and hated my Cudde excite(2006 model). I'm in the love stage right now. Like anything it only takes one bad apple to give the rest a bad taste.