Thread: Centralnchunter Parker Cyclone Review

Centralnchunter Parker Cyclone Review

Thought I’d post a review of my personal experience with a new Parker Cyclone.
    As of this writing I have shot it 201 times. I have had the trigger latch “reset” on me nine times. This is where after the shot, somehow the trigger latch closes/locks as if it has been cocked. You have to press down the anti-dry fire device and pull the trigger w/the safety off to release the latch. Parker is sending me a new trigger assembly and I will send the one that’s in it back to them. My fathers Buckbuster hasn’t had this happen but once that I know of.
    Trigger pull is 8 lb. Little heavy for my taste. I prefer 3-4 lb trigger pull on my hunting rifles and even less on varmint rigs.
    I have not done any real accuracy testing, but this thing is plenty accurate to hunt with. It’s accurate enough that I shoot only one bolt at each target dot. Once I shot at the same dot thinking what’s the chance of hitting the other bolt? Well come to find out, a pretty good chance, it didn’t robin hood but put a scratch down the length of the bolt.
    Cocking: Have not/will not try to hand cock. Roller rope cocker works well but was very noisy until I put some Rem-oil on the roller and pulley axle shafts. After the oil was applied the roller rope cocker is nearly silent. The crank works well to cock it but has a flaw IMO. I bought the crank mainly for use while in a tree stand. There is no means to attach the crank body to the Cyclone to hold it in place while you release the catch lever and pull out the rope. I took a #64 rubber band, doubled it over and use it to keep the crank secured to the buttstock while I pull out the rope and attach the hooks to the string. I sighted the scope in using the roller rope cocker. While practicing the use of the crank I found that the bolt consistently hit the target one inch to the left. It’s not a big enough deal that I’m worrying about it. I sighted it in at twenty yards with the bolt hitting half an inch to the right using the roller rope cocker and the bolt hits half an inch to the left when I switch to the crank.
    The 3x32 IR/multi-reticle Hawke scope is adequate. In bright daylight the red/green illumination does not show up, but really the illumination is only needed in low light conditions anyway. For what it cost, I’m happy.
    I bought the 3dot dual color optic but haven’t used it on the Cyclone yet. Playing around with it I think it also would be adequate for hunting use. In bright daylight the green doesn’t show up quite as good as the red, at least to my eyes. For what it cost, one shouldn’t expect too much. I would say it’s on par with other red dot scopes I have played with in this price range.
    To me, the center serving on the sting was not put on tight enough. Shortly after use the serving stated separating. After every ten shots or so I use my fingernail to push the serving back into place, protecting the string from the latch. I have ordered a press, serving tool and crossbow serving so I can re-serv the string myself and not have to wait on a “pro shop” to do it. I will be making my own string jig.
    I did not like the fore-end grip that came on the Cyclone. I installed the vertical folding grip from Parker. I like it!
    I installed the adjustable cheekrest but encountered a problem while using the crank device. The cheekrest goes so far back to the buttstock that the crank will not fit flush to the end of the stock. While using the crank as is, the crank pushes on the cheekrest. I’m sure that extend use like this would break one of the adjustable cheekrest parts. I cut some material off the rear of the cheekrest so the crank would fit properly onto the buttstock.
    The Red Hot arrows are holding up just fine.
    The Cyclone does not fit the Parker soft case perfectly. The case is not really shaped like the contour of the Cyclone limbs. The Cyclone is kinda stuffed into the case around the end of the limbs. I’ve had the zipper separate on me a couple times because it doesn’t fit all that well. No lasting damage yet to the zipper, but I would prefer a better fitting case. I may end up getting another case and giving this one to my father for his Buckbuster.
    One part of the crossbow quality that surprised me was that the picatinny rail is not “mil spec”. Parker does not state that it is mil spec, but I Assumed it was going to be.
    Mil spec: Slot width .206”, Slot depth .118”, Spacing .394” = Parker pica tinny: width .189”, depth .106”, spacing .395”.
    I bought a rather expensive quick detach sling stud for using a bipod in the sitting position. I had to grind/file the crossbolt on the qd mount so it would fit in the slot of the rail. It now fit’s the Parker rail like a glove, but I hated grinding on it all the same.
    The trigger assembly raises nock end of arrow approximately .018” up off of rail. Not perfectly in line, but close. Closer than a few others have experienced that I have read about. Some have “shimmed” the trigger group to get it perfectly in line, but mine is close enough for my shooting abilities.
    Performance:
    Speed- With out the stock string suppressors installed, rail lubed, and a bolt with an all up weight of 416.7 gr, I have got an average of 327 fps.
    Noise- Db meter outside, three feet in front of and slightly to the left of the crossbow, three shots per test group- are as follows:
    1. W/O Stock String Suppressors- 80.5 db / 326.9 fps
    2. W/Stock String Suppressors Slight Pressure on String (suppressors just touch string at rest)- 79.5 db / 325.4 fps
    3. W/Stock String Suppressors Aprox. 2lb Pressure on String- 78.5 db / 328.3 fps
    4. W/Stock String Suppressors Aprox. 2lb Pressure on String & UltraMax’s on Limbs- 77.5 db / 324.4 fps
    5. W/Stock String Suppressors Aprox. 2lb Pressure on String & UltraMax’s on Limbs & Bolt Retention Spring Dampener- 78 db / 323.9
    6. W/Stock String Suppressors Aprox. 2lb Pressure on String & UltraMax’s on Limbs & Bolt Retention Spring Dampener & Limbsaver Insulator Strip on Each Side of Barrel Centered Under String at Rest- 78 db / 325.8 fps
    I did not use the string leeches. I have read where guys have had trouble with them lasting on their crossbows, so I decided not to fool with them. The Limbsaver insulator strip was tried just to see if there was any noise/vibration on the barrel. There was no decrease in sound intensity. They were cheap enough so I figured what the heck I’d give it a shot.
    The fps is an average of three shots. Test group three surprised me. One of the three shots were faster than all of the shots from groups one and two. The second shot was just a couple tenths off from the fastest shot in group one, and the third shot was inline with the velocity of the three w/o suppression.
    From start to finish there isn’t much reduction in the intensity of the sound the crossbow produces. At best there is a reduction of 3db. What has been greatly affected but I have no means of measuring is the duration of the sound. With all the shooting I done before the noise reduction testing I got a pretty good ear of how the crossbow sounded. The Parker and Limbsaver suppressors took the sound from a “twaaanng” to a “twang”. There was a slight reduction in arrow velocity but with the power level we know have with our modern bows I feel it too be pretty negligible.
    Overall I am happy with my purchase.
    Billy

Attached Images Attached Images

Cyclone

Well done review.
    Here's mine. It's a '09. Chrons out at 340 fps using 440 gr arrows.It hit the advertised 365 pfs with 400 gr arrow but sounded stressed so I upped the weight. This one was purchased pre-sting stopper days so I made mine. Works well but I agree that it doesn't do much for noise. Made it mostly for protection is case of partial dryfire (had the first bow blow up from a cracked plastic nock).
    Trigger could be lighter, though I worked mine and got it down to 4.5 lbs.
    My first Parker, a Terminator, used to pre-cock on occasion. I found it was from not pulling the string all the way up forcefully, i.e hooks came down after string passed ADF devise but string wasn't in place to be captured. Knowing that has prevented problems with this one.
    Arrows are my own GT Lazer II, 110 gr brass insert, machined aluminum moon nock, 2"Blazer or Fusion vanes, and 125 gr FT or Slick Trick mag.
    This is my 'speed bow' and it fills that role well, esp given it's price (<$600). It takes turns getting used with two Excals. Make my own strings, string stretcher, string jig and and bow press, etc.
    Holler when you get to reserving, if you think I can be of help.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

20 yd accuracy test

Well, this afternoon I tried to shoot some groups to check its accuracy. Or more appropriately my accuracy using it. This was off a bench using a sandbag under the vertical forearm in the folded position and the target at twenty yards. Of course we all want one hole groups, but for my ability, pulling on a 8 lb trigger, and being new to crossbows, I’m content with these groups. Until I can figure out how to make them even smaller.
    Let’s see If I can explain this properly…. Five different arrows were used. Each group was with the same arrow. Ex. Group one was with the arrow with a one marked on it, group two was all made using the arrow with a two marked on it, ect. There is no five because I lost #5 arrow shooting free hand at fifty yards, and well, I missed. It’s somewhere in the woods behind the house…
    Smallest group was arrow #6, 0.795” on center. Largest group was arrow #3, 2.666” on center. Average was 1.3002”. Arrows # 1, 2, & 6 all shot good. Arrows 3 & 4 not so much. I can not see any obvious difference with these two arrows compared to the other three.
    Later.
    Billy

centralnchunter, what did Parker say about your trigger latch, is this a common problem? My Cyclone does this sometimes too. Do you know what causes it to happen? When you get your new trigger assembly installed, let us know if this solved the issue. Thanks.

Great report ... my thoughts ... #1. More issues than I'd care to deal with. #2. Seems like arrow quality issues. I'm putting my money on you being a better shooter than 1-1/2" groups at 20 yards. #3. The one thing that worries me with using two hooks to cock the bow instead of a "sled;" is the potential for one hook to pull differently than the other. I bought a Parker Sidewinder crank to try on my Strykeforce and it seemed that at full draw with such a steep string angle, one hook was always jutting out at a different angle than the other. I don't know that it WAS a problem, but it looked like it COULD be a problem. Thanks again for the detailed report!!!
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr RamCats, & Firenocks. Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

partrolman602

Re Premature hook set.

I'm of the opinion that it's 'partial cocking' getting the string up past the anti dryfire device (DFI) but not far enough past the hooks for them to engage behind the string. Try pulling up more forcefully the last several inches.

centralnchunter

Re Red Hots

Have not tried the Red Hots but they seem to be less FOC than I expected (like 12% according to those that measured it) the arrow I describe above checks in over 20% and flies very well.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

The Red Hots w/100gr tips I have come out at 11.something percent. Already in the hunting season, and it's good enough to kill a deer at 50yd's with the bolts that fly true. Later on I intend to try some heavier tips to get a little more FOC. I bought six 100gr broadheads, so they will just have to serfice for this season.
    I replaced the fletching with NAP twisters and aligned them with the broadhead blades and they fly the same as the fieldpoints.

patrolman602, Call Parker. They will tell you to take it to a dealer. If you would prefer to do the R&R yourself, tell them so. I gave them my credit card number and they held on to it in case I didn't return the original trigger assy. If you don't return the original trigger, they will charge you $175 for the replacement. The replacement trigger has 160 shots on it and hasn't malfunctioned once.