a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to become a prostaff

how to become a prostaff

can anyone help me with this

Last edited by rodney482; August 31st, 2010 at 11:05 PM.

imo... you want to shoot well, and win tournaments, or be successfull at taking game and have a pro shop or company come to you...
    2008 PRO ELITE.... INDOORS..2010 ALPHA BURNER.... HUNTING..2012 ELITE ANSWER.... ALL PURPOSE..

go to a dealer and ask if you can shoot for different companies

first thing you need to do is make a name for yourself. Until the general archery public starts paying attention to what your doing, sponsors will not pay attention. Advertising dollars are limited and they go after people who the hunting crowd want to emulate. That being said, shoot straight, work your ass off, stay true to yourself and hope you get damn lucky along the way!
    Mathews EZ7
    Easton A/C/C Pro Hunter Arrows, Trophy Ridge Alpha V3 sight, Ripcord rest,
    Sims Modular Stabilizer, Vapor Trail Strings and Cables, TruFire Judge release,
    100gr Rage 2 blade broadheads
    TEAM 20 UNDEERTAKERS

Learning how to spell would be a start (prostaff).. Just jerkin' your chain, no harm intended. I really have no clue how to even get started.

Quote Originally Posted by DREAMSEASON286 View Post
    Make a resume and send it into the different manufactures. They usually have a way to apply on their websites.

Also, it's best to be picked up by your local shop and do the shop shooter deal first.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

sure fire way to become a prostaffer is to consistantly take really big , world class bucks and not the ones out of some lodge u can pay for...... and u will get noticed , u can do it and i hope u do , good luck ! if u all remember chuck beaty the guy who shot that 39 point buck out of ohio which the mount went for over 1 million dollars he helped ole willy primos sale the can call , i think if someone could do that it could land him a prostaff job in a hurry !

Having the gift of gab is the most important.After all,you are a salesman for a company.They are looking for salesmen,not shooters.

Now,being a pro shooter on a national level with a bow company,takes a little more success.BUT,you still need to be a salesman.
    AT motto,if you can't dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Theres different forms of Pro Staffers. Some are actually field staffers and dont really need to do much of anything except shoot that product and promote it. The word Pro gets thrown around a lot by people who shouldn't be using it IMO.

My wife has won 8 state titles, 3 sectionals, and 2 national titles. Started a youth archery program and coaches a 4h archery club. She's done a lot for archery and is a great shooter. She has 1 sponsor (string).

So good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper69 View Post
    Theres different forms of Pro Staffers. Some are actually field staffers and dont really need to do much of anything except shoot that product and promote it. The word Pro gets thrown around a lot by people who shouldn't be using it IMO.
    +1 .

To borrow a quote from someone on this site....There are to kinds of Prostaff - Professionals and Promoters. The requirements for the 1st are self explainitary. The requirements for the 2nd are big lips and BS a mile long.

The better question is why do you want to become a pro-staff member? The reasoning behind it could effect how you become one....if its just for discounts get a job at bass pro, otherwise just get really good and then let the companies know, someone will pick you up.
    Nothing to see here

How does one come up with a "Archery Resume"?

I don't think that putting down that I like to shoot and hunt will cut it. I mean that only takes up one line.

Does one have to shoot in a lot of tournaments and win them all to even be considered?

I just asked a similar question in the womens forum. Like was said above, you need the gift of gab to promote whatever product and you need to at least go to shoots and do respectable. I don't think you need to win them all, but you need to place in at least one (prerequisite for the shop I want to get on with). Basically what I got from it was practice, practice, practice, go to shoots, shoot league, be friendly, use products you like and talk them up. Put together a resume and go to shops and companies who have products you believe in and apply. Your resume will be the shoots you go to, what you do in the community to promote archery, and the people you meet who could give you a good reference. I suppose that once in a lifetime buck wouldn't hurt either!

someone please answer me this

If your not competing in the pro claass, then why would you want or EXPECT to be on a pro staff?

Just common sense
    June 26th is a day of shame for America. Please have mercy Lord, they know not what they have done.

Ok hope this advise is helpful, having been sponsored by a major outdoor retailer in another shooting sport. You go to as many shoots as you can. Win or be in contention. Have a very possitive attitude and be liked and respected by your fellow competitiors. People will start asking you how you do this or that, what kind of gear you use and recomend.
    Be helpful and knowledgable. Try to be helpful but not overly biased, you have no idea who might be watching you for an endorsement. You wont want to piss off the bow manufaturer who's thinking you might be a good fit for them and then you say their stuff is crap lol. Be aware that if you are succesful you will need to guaranteee them a certain number of shoots per season and use their gear. You cant wear a Hoyt hat and then shoot a Mathews Bow.
    I wish you luck but one more piece of advise. Beware the stress and pressure of changing a hobby or love into a business. Alot of the fun goes away when you HAVE to win versus you want to win.

Tex
    MCTEXANS
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter Tru Ball Staff Stingray Stabilizer Staff Harvest Time Staff
    Athens IBEX 70# 29.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Mctexans View Post
    Ok hope this advise is helpful, having been sponsored by a major outdoor retailer in another shooting sport. You go to as many shoots as you can. Win or be in contention. Have a very possitive attitude and be liked and respected by your fellow competitiors. People will start asking you how you do this or that, what kind of gear you use and recomend.
    Be helpful and knowledgable. Try to be helpful but not overly biased, you have no idea who might be watching you for an endorsement. You wont want to piss off the bow manufaturer who's thinking you might be a good fit for them and then you say their stuff is crap lol. Be aware that if you are succesful you will need to guaranteee them a certain number of shoots per season and use their gear. You cant wear a Hoyt hat and then shoot a Mathews Bow.
    I wish you luck but one more piece of advise. Beware the stress and pressure of changing a hobby or love into a business. Alot of the fun goes away when you HAVE to win versus you want to win.

Tex
    The is the best advice right there. Dont bash other companies, at all costs. I was at a shoot a couple weeks ago and a shop owner that is looking for an Elite staff ahooter was there. I was talking about my stabilizer and he came over to look at it. I had no idea who he was till after I got done showing a guy and him the stabilizer, and asking them if they would like to shoot it a little. Needless to say, we got talking about a possible a possible Elite position for his shop. You just need to be careful how you are talking because you may never know who is listening to you speak.

thanks for the advice guys and gals

Quote Originally Posted by DREAMSEASON286 View Post
    you can be on athens or many other prostaffs on this sight, string makers, stabalizers, etc.......
    All you do is send them a resume, and in return you get to pay the same as anyone else for there products and you promote them and give them free adverisement. But at least you get to have a list at the bottom of your posts.

You were given a lot of good advice in this thread but these two may be the best

shoot straight, work your ass off, stay true to yourself and hope you get damn lucky along the way!

Good luck
    Rick
    Parks Outdoors,Brookfield, MO
    I never Beat nobody but myself! and when I learned to beat myself, not many could hang! - THE HOOD
    So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by J Whittington View Post
    someone please answer me this

If your not competing in the pro claass, then why would you want or EXPECT to be on a pro staff?

Just common sense
    most of the pro staff shooters I now shoot the hunter class. And they are never in the top half of the list after the shoots.
    There is a huge difference between being sponsored by a company and being a pro staffer. First of all if you are sponsered you get there product free, and in some cases they pay you to use it. A pro staffer gets a tiny discount (which in my experience I can get it cheaper through pretty much any online store) and has to promote the product, where there clothes (which you are also paying for) In my experience a huge waste of time, and usually always costs more in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sagecreek View Post
    Make a resume and send it into the different manufactures. They usually have a way to apply on their websites.

Also, it's best to be picked up by your local shop and do the shop shooter deal first.
    +1. This is how a friend of mine got in with the Fred Bear staff. Don't forget though....you need to include good quality video and photos of quality successful hunts. They want to see that you are worth their sponsor $ !! Careful with blood/gore in photos and videos. These companies shy away from that as they are too risky...
    '08 PSE X Force 6 HF 60# / Bucknasty Strings & cables / Easton Flatline 400's / Slick Trick magnum 100's
    2009 Bowtech 82nd Airborne 60#
    2010 Bear Attack 70# Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by dpattarcher View Post
    you can be on athens or many other prostaffs on this sight, string makers, stabalizers, etc.......
    All you do is send them a resume, and in return you get to pay the same as anyone else for there products and you promote them and give them free adverisement. But at least you get to have a list at the bottom of your posts.
    BINGO Most of the guys claiming Pro Staff status are promotional shooters not professional shooters. A guy I was talking to yesterday was bragging to a few people that he was on the PRO staff for 4 or 5 companies. he couldnt remember the actual #. The same conversation he mentioned his high game score of 5 spot was 293. Now there is nothing wrong with that score but professional staff material? Not in my book
    Energy 35 Max1 and Pulse Ninja because they work for me Waiting on a Ninja Victory

Have you shot your bow today?

I ask again

Why would someone want to BE ON, or EXPECT to be on a prostaff if they are not competing in the pro classes.

shouldn't they be called shop shooters, or shop reps..etc...
    June 26th is a day of shame for America. Please have mercy Lord, they know not what they have done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast