a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade deer attractants

homemade deer attractants

PLease post what your homemade attractants are.

Here is one:
    Take a plastic jar of peanut butter and cut the bottom out. Take the lid off and use a drywall screw, fasten the lid to a tree or post about 3 feet off the ground. Screw the jar onto the lid, and you have an instant attractant with peanut butter.

Mollasses or salt on stumps is a good one.

search for "deer candy" someone posted that 2 seasons ago i think. i made some one time. seemed like it would be a great attractant.

cherry kool-aid sprayed on vegetation
    RIP ZAP 11-11-2010

Apple cider spray around the stand

Another method that attracts deer is mixing peanut butter, brown sugar and molasses to a consistency that is thin enough to drip in blobs off a spoon, but thick enough that it is not able to be poured. If weather permits, dig a shallow hole and pour the mixture into it to serve the deer

2 ounces anise oil, 1 ounce pure vanilla and 1 tablespoon peanut butter. Keep it in a small sealed container and dab liberally on a 4" strip of cloth. Hang the cloth over a limb within shooting range of your stand"

anyone have the link for the deer candy I searched and didnt see it? How well does the kool aid work? I have also heard spraying vanilla flavoring on trees and stuff around your stand works.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt 07 View Post
    anyone have the link for the deer candy I searched and didnt see it? How well does the kool aid work? I have also heard spraying vanilla flavoring on trees and stuff around your stand works.

I just tried the Koolaid deer lick.
    2 lbs powered sugar
    2 lbs baking soda
    2 lbs of mineral salt or table salt
    3 packs of Grape Koolaid

Here are some pics, I only had the camera out for about 3 weeks and had over 200 pics on the card.

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...9&#entry314319

Quote Originally Posted by BowmanPa View Post
    I just tried the Koolaid deer lick.
    2 lbs powered sugar
    2 lbs baking soda
    2 lbs of mineral salt or table salt
    3 packs of Grape Koolaid

Here are some pics, I only had the camera out for about 3 weeks and had over 200 pics on the card.

http://www.hagshouse.com/forums/inde...9&#entry314319
    Unfortunately we can't view the pics without being a member there.
    Archers Against Cancer - Shooting for a Cure!
    Event Founder and Organizer!
    Help Us make A Difference!
    Supporting the "Gene Goodreau Patient Assistance Fund"

just wondering if using peanut butter and stuff like the koolaid mix would be considered bait?

its legal in VA to use stuff like buck jam Cmere deer and the like but you can't use salt licks and piles of apples and stuff like that.

I got a hot spot I wanna try this yr for bow season and been looking at legal methods of attractants.
    May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Sorry to say but any kind of baiting in Va. is illegal. Other then food plots, all other products must be removed from the woods by Sept. 1.

Is the Cmeer Deer and buck jam and stuff considered baiting or attractant?

Only thing I have every used is doe in estrus, and some vanilla spray. So looking at what my options are other scents.

When you talk about Deer Candy you say mineral salt...is this trace mineral salt?
    What works the best table salt or mineral salt?

Quote Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper View Post
    just wondering if using peanut butter and stuff like the koolaid mix would be considered bait?
    its legal in VA to use stuff like buck jam Cmere deer and the like but you can't use salt licks and piles of apples and stuff like that.
    I got a hot spot I wanna try this yr for bow season and been looking at legal methods of attractants.
    Really? It's legal? ummmm can you point me to where it says in the regs that you can?

Krypt Keeper.... you might wanna rethink your methods...

It is unlawful for any person to place or distribute food, salt, minerals or similar substances, to feed or attract deer from September 1 through the first Saturday in January, both dates inclusive. Nor, upon written notification by Department personnel, shall any person continue to place or distribute any food, salt, mineral or similar substances for any purpose if the placement of these materials results in the attraction of and/or feeding of deer. No part of this regulation shall be construed to restrict bona fide agronomic plantings (including wildlife food plots) or distribution of food to livestock.

For those that are using the homemade deer candy how often to you have to refresh it?? Also does one the the salts work better then the other?
    Bob

it's illegal in Va to use any bait after Sept. 1st.

And as for the "Deer Candy" - I couldn't find the old post either. But like I said, i made it once, and it consisted of using

Apple Cider
    Peanut Butter
    Moloassas
    Brown Sugar

Cooked it all down to where I could fairly easily pour it into a bucket of Corn and mix it up. The mixing part with the corn is tough, but it eventually got all the way through. Then just dumped the corn on the ground.

See learn something new everyday. Been hunting almost 20 yrs in Va and never knew all that Cmeer deer and stuff were illegal. Never have used them before but was actually curious about attractants this bow season after not getting anything with a bow for the last 3 yrs. Thanks for the PM Alex. also.

I knew people who used corn feeders and salt licks had to have their stuff gone by Sept 1st but never did think about the other stuff.

Funny how the shelves are always filled with it at stores yet, yet its illegal to use it.

4lokking make sure you are not using that in MO. Most of that stuff is against the law in the state of MO, this was copied from the MDC website.

Deer may not be taken with the use of dogs, bait, electronic calls, electronically activated calls or live decoys. Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait, however, mineral blocks with food additives are prohibited. An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait. It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.

The following was also copied from the MDC code booklet (available anywhere that a hunting/fishing license is sold and online).

(G) With the aid of bait (grain or other feed
    placed or scattered so as to constitute an
    attraction or enticement to deer). Scents and
    minerals, including salt, are not regarded as
    bait, however, mineral blocks with food additives
    are prohibited. An area is considered
    baited for ten (10) days following complete
    removal of bait. Hunters can be in violation
    even if they did not know an area was baited.
    It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes
    others to be in violation of the baiting rule.

I personally have been told that basically all that means that anything other than salt is illegal. Although the wording is a bit open to minerals, pretty much everything else is out of the question.

Steve

I don't hunting over the bait site or put any bait out to take a deer....I'm trying to get some good pictures of the deer in my area. I hunt over in IL. A state that has big nice deer

Thanks for point that all out Steve

OK, Sept. 1st. we got that. Now how about some recipes.

For actual deer lure/attractant made from real deer, do a search on the Internet for "Johnny Thorpe". He has several DVD's out that show you how to make gland lure from deer and other animal glands. The "buck lure" works like a charm. I think you can find the DVD's over at alanprobst.com.

Quote Originally Posted by bsites9 View Post
    it's illegal in Va to use any bait after Sept. 1st.

And as for the "Deer Candy" - I couldn't find the old post either. But like I said, i made it once, and it consisted of using

Apple Cider
    Peanut Butter
    Moloassas
    Brown Sugar

Cooked it all down to where I could fairly easily pour it into a bucket of Corn and mix it up. The mixing part with the corn is tough, but it eventually got all the way through. Then just dumped the corn on the ground.
    Why go though all that trouble when deer will eat corn with nothing on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne View Post
    Why go though all that trouble when deer will eat corn with nothing on it?
    i have no idea

Krypt Keeper Im not sure if it would be the same in VA but up here in WVA I was told by a DNR officer that a bait is something that the deer can consume........So if you sprayed cmere deer on plants and it dried then it would be something they were actually consumeing. So I would think it would be just as leagal as using any type of deer pee or the like.

Question Issue

The thing I keep seeing here is that people are applying koolaid, mollases, or vanilla to their corn. Where I hunt, you don't have to do anything to your corn. It will always be gone in three days. No matter how much you put out. I'm looking for cheaper methods to feed these deer as this gets expensive. Especially, if you have multiple stands to bait. Can I just pour Koolaid on stumps and be done with it? If so, will the hogs come too? I'm certainly not interested in baiting hogs. I have enough problems with them as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast