Carbon Express...EXPLOSION

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Carbon Express...EXPLOSION

A friend sent this to me today. I don't know if anyone has seen this yet but it's kind of graphic. Pics were taken at the hospital.

The guy said the arrow blew apart at release and the arrow and splinters of the arrow drove into his hand.

I'm not sure about any other details...maybe the arrow was cracked or cut or something.

I think I'll stick with my Gold Tips.
    Last edited by Rabbit; May 19th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
    "Infinite patience and practice are needed to make a hunter. He must earn his right to take life by the painful effort of constant shooting." Saxton Pope

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

SH.T you know that hurt Hope there's no permanate damage to his hand. Thats one thing about carbon arrows, or any other arrows for that matter, ya gotta give them a through inspection. I would think a little more often than your bow.

MoBowman ```--------->

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs down

Ouch!!!

Man, I hope he recovers with the full use of his hand.

Richard[

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Those arrows suck big time. Untrue and weak. They couldnt pay me to shoot those again.

bummer

I'll have to forward this pic to my buddy. He's always giving me grief for shooting "logs" 2315 Super Slams. Those SS's look purty good to me right now. Hand injuries are a major bummer. I hope for this guy's sake no permanent damage was done.

Yeah that had to sting.

I try to check my carbon's before every shooting session and again if I know I wacked a couple really good together. I'd guess it's possible for an arrow to have a defect and fail that bad, but it would probably be on the first shot out of the bow. Otherwise it was probably damaged along the way somewhere and the shooter didn't notice it.

When carbon fails it really fails I blew up a carbon crankset on my race mountain bike about a month or two ago, the pedal insert just pretty well exploded out of the carbon crankarm, didn't get any bad cuts but it was a long 5 miles home pedaling with one leg.

That said I've switched from carbon express to gold tips and have been impressed. The durability of the carbon express was always in question for me. I couldn't even get vanes off them without peeling carbon off the shaft ruining it. Haven't had one gold tip do that yet. However the gold tips are quite a bit heavier area, and more material usually means stronger and better durability.

wow, thats gotta suck. Hope there no damage (other then the obvious) and he gets better soon.

I dont understand how the shaft of the arrow can get into the hand like that if your hand is completely behind the arrow, can some one explain how this happens?

Wheni heard of arrows blowing up, i was assumiong the nock portion went through the from of the palm, but this look like the shaft goes through the back of the hand, hince fletching looks perfect... any one?

aj

Originally posted by rc_racer_007
    wow, thats gotta suck. Hope there no damage (other then the obvious) and he gets better soon.

I dont understand how the shaft of the arrow can get into the hand like that if your hand is completely behind the arrow, can some one explain how this happens?

Wheni heard of arrows blowing up, i was assumiong the nock portion went through the from of the palm, but this look like the shaft goes through the back of the hand, hince fletching looks perfect... any one?

aj
    Nahh, bet he is a leftie. Thats probably what caused the problem to start with. Cant trust those folks who use the wrong hand to do everything.

Thats gonna leave a mark.
    I remember when fiberglass was the composite arrow of choice,late 60's early 70's.. talk about exploding arrows!
    But really I have seen every kind of arrow blow, its something we need to be aware of, but not scared of,, be careful.

I think people should know more about the situation before automatically blaming Carbon Express.

Of all the times I've heard of this happening it has never been a gold tip, at least not that I've heard. does anyone else know differently.

ewwww

It hurts me and I just looked at the picture. I hope his recovery it quick and full. Makes you think about what cold happen.

I have cracked carbon arrows from a few mfgs, and that could have just as easilly happened with just about any shaft. To have broken like the one in the picture, there was certianly some damage to the shaft, and most likely would have been obvious if one checked it. Just like a cracked nock, you have to keep an open eye for possible problems. This was not the fault of the shaft, but opperator error.

I think people should know more about the situation before automatically blaming Carbon Express.

I AGREE WITH TAX LAWYER

rc_racer_007

Shooter was obviously left handed. The arrow apparantly broke in half near the LOGO area. The rear portion of the broken arrow penetrated into his hand. Very similar to my experience a couple of years ago. Mine went between thumb and forefinger and did no real permanant damage. His may be more serious due to location

Broken Shaft

I have been shooting Carbon Express 3D Selects for many years, and they are a great shaft. I have found them to be as durable as any shaft I have shot. I am up to 11 animals with the same shaft in the last 2 years. It appears that shaft mat have been damaged, and that is a possibility with any carbon shaft out there. I dont know if it is fair to condemn CE shafts without all the facts. I truly hope his hand fully recovers, and that all of us use this as a reminder to check our shafts for damage before using them. That is a nasty looking picture thats for sure.

Looks like an "anti Carbon Express" commercial to me. Who in their right mind, would leave the arrow stuck in their hand until they got to the hospital? Not me! Unless it was all the way through, which I doubt.

Even so, I think it could happen with any carbon shaft, however, I think the construction of the CE's lend themselves to this type of debacle. I've seen Bemans snap apart in 3 places after hitting a tree. I've seen CE's break being smacked together. I'll be shooting Gold Tips indoors this year, and I'm sure I'll see those break as well!

Moral of the story isn't "Don't by Carbon Express" its "Check your arrows before you shoot them.....especially if left handed... "

Bo

Same here, I've been shooting carbon express for the last 3 yrs ( terminator,hunters,terminator selects ) and never seen an arrow explode. Normally when you sideswipe a target or hard object the rear of the arrow breaks about 1" in front the leading edge of the vanes. Carbons are cool in that they are either broken or not. The above seem to be bad operator error in not checking his shafts more often. if he would have did this, then this injury could have been avoided.

As for durability, the carbon express are top notch and I can say that they are better in duability than goldtips from my experience.Also no problems with removing the vanes using a dull knife or scissor and not removing the carbon layer. The only bad thing I had with these arrows, where some funky glue issues with the insert that was not bonding correctly. So if I shot a 3D target the , the insert would loosen and drive inwards splintering the arrow end for about 1". My pro shop corrected that, when they contact the glue mfg and change the gluing procces.

Actually as I understand it you are much much better leaving any kind of serious puncture wound alone till you get to the ER. For a couple reasons.

First depending on location, not really a factor here, you will bleed like a stuck pig when you remove it. Your probalby not going to bleed to death from that arrow, but it certainly is stopping a lot of bleeding still being stuck in there.

Second, and probably the reason to do it in this case, is you can do a lot of nerve/tendon damage just ripping something like that out of your hand, much better to leave it in, and let a doctor inspect and remove it to keep the damage in doing so to a minimum.

I shoot gold tip 5575 xt hunters and had one explode on me this year. It was a new arrow maybe shot 5 times. I had slapped arrows in the target and two shots later it blew. So I think it could happen to any arrow. This picture really opened my eyes and I think I will be checking my equipment over a little more closely! Thanks for the reminder.

I had a Gold tip Xt 55-75 blow up on me a few years back, one half of the arrow went into our wood fence around our cattle gaurd and the other bounced off a few trees to my left, it had broke about 2 inches down from the end of the fletching. Glad it didnt go through my hand, it could have easy done so though.
    I have have seen carbon expresses do the same to

cx 300's

A couple of years back I was up at Cabela's in Dundee, MI. I saw those CE so I thought I would try some because there was a CE sales rep there and he talked them up so much that I just had to have them. Well later on that summer I was at a 3D shoot and I just barely skimmed a sapling that was about 1" in dia. The arrow still stuck in the target, as a matter of fact I even shot a 10 on that target. But we walked to the next target I stepped up to the stake and drew back, took aim, and when I released the arrow it completely blep up, and when it did it casued the bow to torque sideways (cant) severely in my hand. When this happened the string wacked my arm so severely that it was instantly black and blue. My fore arm became so swollen that it nearly ruptured the skin. I had a bruise for about 4-5 months and a rather hard lump after the bruise was mostly gone and that stayed for almost a year.

I will never recommend CE to anyone nor will I ever shoot them again. I have never had any problems with goldtips. I have shot them into trees and accidently thru a pole building with no problems. The only time that I had one crack and splinter was when I shot one into a sinder block to test a muzzy broadhead.

Originally posted by Tax Lawyer
    Well said Tax Lawyer!!!!!!!!!
    Hoyt Defiant Turbo Black Out.....Vortex Optics, Lone Wolf, Doinker, Scott Archery, Predator Camo, Hha Sight, Vaportrail Limbdriver, Easton Acc Pro Hunters, 30.06 Outdoors

Hidden Content (614) 491-8383

Originally posted by PSE_Maverick
    Those arrows suck big time. Untrue and weak. They couldnt pay me to shoot those again.
    I hope you are joking! if not that is a dumb comment.
    I would say the there was damage to the arrow. Been shooting CX for years infact I have six that are 5 YEARS old and still in good shape.
    Still bet it hurts!

I've been shooting the 3-d selects for the past two years and have not had a problem with them, this could of happen to any carbon arrow, thats why I always check my arrow before each shot no matter what, if I even have a doubt about an arrow I will retire it without thinking twice.

p.s. Very nice post Bo Hunter.
    Hoyt Defiant Turbo Black Out.....Vortex Optics, Lone Wolf, Doinker, Scott Archery, Predator Camo, Hha Sight, Vaportrail Limbdriver, Easton Acc Pro Hunters, 30.06 Outdoors

Hidden Content (614) 491-8383

I had one of the original Bemans blow upon release once. It sent shards of carbon fiber all through my bow arm. I shot them for a long time with no problem, and am convinced that carefully inspecting the arrows before each shot would have alleviated the problem.

Question Just wondering?

Originally posted by wind in face
    Thats gonna leave a mark.
    I remember when fiberglass was the composite arrow of choice,late 60's early 70's.. talk about exploding arrows!
    But really I have seen every kind of arrow blow, its something we need to be aware of, but not scared of,, be careful.
    Have you ever seen an aluminum arrow blow up? I haven't but thats not to say it hasn't. Incidents make me want to go back to aluminum and stay there. Sh?t that had to hurt!!

I saw the same here in France a few years ago with an ACC , so , like tax lawyer said , don't blame Carbon Express , it can happen with every shaft .

Re: Just wondering?

Originally posted by stehawk
    Have you ever seen an aluminum arrow blow up? I haven't but thats not to say it hasn't. Incidents make me want to go back to aluminum and stay there. Sh?t that had to hurt!!
    I did and it was crazy!! it broke into about 8 pieces. Everyone who was standing there nearly crapped in their pants

Re: Just wondering?

Originally posted by stehawk
    Yes I have seen an aluminun arrow blow, it was an xx75 out of a Jennings Star , my brother-in-law still has the scar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast