Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone who uses a climber

anyone who uses a climber

if you use a climber, PLEASE tie the two together, use a five(or more) foot piece of rope, tie one to the top area where you sit and the other end to the back of the foot platform. would be easier if you did two pieces of rope one on each side, but use at least one. been using a climber for 15 years or so, and had my first bad experience with one. ended up sitting almost 20" in the air without a standing platform. dont know what happened or how. just know if i didnt rock climb once in a while, i would still be sitting in the tree.

Yeah that and wear a harness and attach it to the tree as you climb. AND keep your cellphone on your body, not in a pack that you can drop!
    Prostaff Member of Johns Customs Strings...AKA: Breathn... The best strings available!!

I have a 5 foot section of cord attach the two pieces of my Lone Wolf Alpha Sit and Climb. I don't like the factory setup.

I too have had to shimmy down a tree to get my bottom section.
    SH Archery & Custom Bow Tuning
    Dealer for Bowtech, Elite, Bear, and PSE
    2014 Bowtech RPM and Carbon Spyder 30

Quote Originally Posted by brash View Post
    if you use a climber, PLEASE tie the two together, use a five(or more) foot piece of rope, tie one to the top area where you sit and the other end to the back of the foot platform. would be easier if you did two pieces of rope one on each side, but use at least one. been using a climber for 15 years or so, and had my first bad experience with one. ended up sitting almost 20" in the air without a standing platform. dont know what happened or how. just know if i didnt rock climb once in a while, i would still be sitting in the tree.
    I know what ya mean and i have put 2 pieces on mine now after last saturday, was left sitting on my bar about 18 feet up after losing my bottom. Luckily had my cell phone and some signal strenth to call my brother so he could help me out.

Happened to me as well. Years of using climber, never bothered to tie em together. Got 24 feet up a couple years ago and tried the ole trick where you turn the bottom with your feet, you know, pick up on it a little bit and give it a turn, did it once, fine. The second time it dropped. Had to cal a buddy and have him come help me out. It was a long hour sitting on that little summit open shot seat!

I had a old api bowhunter tree stand, and i forgot to tie the rope 1 day, the bottom went about 8 feet down then luckley cought, so i had to bear hug the tree and slide down to it, Lost alot of hide on my belly. When i got on the bottom platform i was able to pull my gun up and poke the top peice lose. It almost knocked me off the bottom platform, Every time i put the stand on a tree i rember right away to tie it up now
    Bambi's mom was a management doe

Use to use just rope till I found these.

http://www.strapworks.com/Spring_Buc...s_p/sbs34l.htm

If you buy 2 10ft w/buckle pad it only cost $10 & well worth it. When climbing I leave them attached
    & loosened. One on each side. Gives 5' to climb. One you get to your desired height you just grab &
    tighten. Locks the top rock solid. It's like summit strap but w/the buckle pad it's a step above.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have two 4' sections of rope tied to both sides. Hearing all the horror stories on here changed my mind. The first year I used a climber I didn't have anything connecting the two sections. Last year when 20' up, got me thinking, what if the bottom falls out from under me? I have two pieces of rope connecting the two now. I also ratchet strap the bottom section to the tree.

Yeah i found a guy on a wma that lost the bottom section , so i tied 2 on mine aswell . Have any of you ever practice recovering your bottom platform when it slips . That is not a easy task , You may want to try it a few feet in the air in the back yard just so you can do it .

I have never lost a bottom but I always tie the rope to the bottom

Lone WOlf has the adjustable straps wiht a snap buckle on eack side fo the stand. The nicest set up I have seen
    Yes, I'm a Dinosaur.... Heavy draw weight, and fixed blade broadheads. No one ever complains about over penetration.
    Insanity CPXL 72#
    TradTech Titan II 62", BlackMax longs, 58# @ 29"
    TradTech Titan III 64", BlackMax longs, 42# @ 29"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill 2311 View Post
    Lone WOlf has the adjustable straps wiht a snap buckle on eack side fo the stand. The nicest set up I have seen

I agree.

makes you think, sitting 20 feet high with no safe way down

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhntng4evr View Post
    I have two 4' sections of rope tied to both sides. Hearing all the horror stories on here changed my mind. The first year I used a climber I didn't have anything connecting the two sections. Last year when 20' up, got me thinking, what if the bottom falls out from under me? I have two pieces of rope connecting the two now. I also ratchet strap the bottom section to the tree.
    I to strap the bottom in once at the height I will be hunting from, makes me feel very safe knowing absolutly nothing can go wrong

Happen to me many years ago, late 80's will never forget it. Have had the seat and platform tied together with my set up since then. Oh and dont forget to have an extra bow rope in your pocket..lol, the extra bow rope your buddy dont know about, youll need it some day

I use 2 pieces of paracord. I also keep an extra bow rope (also paracord) with a monster declawed treble hook for picking up things I've dropped. Pretty sad I've dropped stuff enough to warrant that, but there it is.

giarcher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by peeker View Post
    I use 2 pieces of paracord. I also keep an extra bow rope (also paracord) with a monster declawed treble hook for picking up things I've dropped. Pretty sad I've dropped stuff enough to warrant that, but there it is.
    Good idea with the treble hook for retrievals.

My stand came with straps and they have been on there since day one. I also stay attached with a climbing harness. I have a fear of falling over the top rail when standing up.

Lone wolf rock's
    Never had the problem, but I saw it 1st hand with my bil, 15 feet up. It was hilarious.
    I told dont go any ware I'll be rite back, had to get a BIG stick to push his stand to him.

Yep I have used 2 ropes shortly after Baker Stands got dumped for the old Amackers.
    I use the 2 pieces of para cord to snug my 2 pieces together making stand ultra quiet while walking to tree then attach top and bottom. Also always have real pull up rope, 250pound strength just in case I have to let myself down.

Great post guys, we all could be safer!
    Last edited by elkhunter2900; October 17th, 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added comment

I have never lost the bottom but I have lost the top. The first time I used a climber it had pins to adjust the cable. I got about 25ft up and had to adjust the top pin. Don't know what happened but I dropped it. Couldn't believe it. After about 4 hours my dad came down and he couldn't find the pin. So then after another 2 hours he came back with a bolt that fit in it. The tree was too big to try to bear hug and shimmy down.

A lot of times when I use climbers I always lower the top section of the climber down to the ground. I never sit down and I feel it doesn't look as bulky up in the tree.

I have them tied together, and I also carry a few screw in steps just because
    Team mongrel prostaff

i have always had a cord from my top and bottom sections i change it out every year so this never happens glad your ok
    "Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor expierence. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person" Fred Bear
    4TH BDE 25TH INFANTRY DIVISION 3/509TH PARACHUTE INFANTRY REGIMENT

My API grandslam has about a 3' rope on it. never had bottom drop but have had top kick out while climbing and yes ALWAYS use harness and rope
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT
    Black Eagle arrows
    QAD rest
    Trophy Ridge sights
    Crimson Talon XT broadheads

I've never lost a section but mine have always been tied
    2010 Bear Assault, doinker multirod (custom 11 inch) HHA ds 5519
    SIXX STRINGS ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    It may be brown, but it ain't fudge they are trying to feed to us AT members.

I lost the bottom one time when I was about 20 feet up but luckily ihad the 2 pieces tied togather!
    I pulled a bone head move by sitting on the bar of the top section and pulling both feet at the same time out of the straps of my old API climber. The bottom fell and honestly it was a bit scary!
    I was able to pull the bottom up no problem then hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast