Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your #1 Deer Hunting Tip?

I think this is the one most people screw up, because they are so excited. Wait a 1/2 hr to an 1 hour before going after your deer.

I had a buddy, I finally quit hunting with him, who would shoot a deer and run right up to it. It would take off and we would track all night. He did it every time!

Become one with nature....... Then marinate it

Double inside corners...Sweet!
    Converging hubs - Funnels with multiple fingers...Killer!
    As Bill dance would say with his rod tip...10 ta 2...Hunt by the clock 10:00am - 2:00pm...Amazing sucess!

Shoot straight!

sit still

A Positive attitude and/or belief in yourself and your hunting abilities....even when the going gets tough.....is the best ally a hunter can have!!!

Hunt the wind!!!

My best tip. USE A TURKEY CALL WHEN DEER HUNTING

If i can't get in quietly i will imitate turkeys walking and feeding threw the woods when i go to my stand. I have walked with-in sight of many deer that never even looked up to see for sure if it was really a turkey. Turkey sound just like a man walking in the woods. Make it simple and natural. I have also tried it when deer near my stand seemed edgy. Couple of soft yelps seemed to calm them right down and they went back to feeding. I guess they figure if a turkey is there it must be safe.

Don't forget to hunt safe from an elevated stand by wearing your safety vest/harness and remember to know your target and shoot in a safe manner.
    LH Hoyt AM32 Realtree Limbs/Blackout Riser, 70#/29", HHA OL5200X and Nockturnals.

Don’t let the heritage die with you!! Take a kid along and teach them!

Hunt the freshest sign that's not being hunted by other hunters. It doesn't matter how quiet and downwind you are if some other knucklehead is stinking up the whole area.

Enjoy.

IF your not seeing any action your not in the right place!! Move to where the action is.

You got be in the woods to kill a deer. talking and typing about hunting, doesnt get it done. Some days I went out in the woods that were less that "ideal" conditions ended up being the best days.

Practice shooting lots. Practice impossible shots through openings. The most successful hunters I know are great shots and are good at knowing how to kill the animal.

use the wind to your advantage and be very still.

From Roger Rothaar- the nose KNOWS!
    DOCTOR! DOCTOR! I broke my arm in two places! Doctor replies, "You should have stayed out of those places."

Best tip

When you are on stand, do just that. Stand the entire time and keep your bow in your hand, yes, the entire time. Sit only a few seconds if your back needs rest but never hang your bow. I kill a bunch of deer each year with my bow and that is how its done.
    Elite E35 and Tour. 28"/60#

First off, above all else make sure the deer you want is where your hunting. You could be invisible and in an air tight bubble, but you ain't getting jack if there's no deer there. It sounds obvious but I see a lot of guys hunting where there is no shooter bucks. The number one reason for getting busted is scent. Not only the scent from your immediate body, but the scent trail you leave behind. If you want a specific buck, you have to form a type of relationship with him. Scouting in person is the only way to do this. Not only learn his travel patterns but try to find out his personality. Does he travel alone or does he keep a stoolie with him as a decoy. From my own experience I have noticed that even during the rut, a lot of big bucks have a smaller buck lead the way, once he knows the coast is clear, he'll come out. So know your buck and his habbits ie escape routes and partners he may be traveling with. Know where he eats and where he goes to bed, and make sure he doesn't catch wind of you or your scent trail. Oh ya, keeping a spare release in your pack is a good idea because I went out a couple days ago and after about 20 minutes into my quad ride I remembered I left my release sitting on the seat of my quad. Lucky for me when I looked down it was under my foot on my foot peg. My back up release is now in my pack. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 173BC View Post
    First off, above all else make sure the deer you want is where your hunting. You could be invisible and in an air tight bubble, but you ain't getting jack if there's no deer there. It sounds obvious but I see a lot of guys hunting where there is no shooter bucks. The number one reason for getting busted is scent. Not only the scent from your immediate body, but the scent trail you leave behind. If you want a specific buck, you have to form a type of relationship with him. Scouting in person is the only way to do this. Not only learn his travel patterns but try to find out his personality. Does he travel alone or does he keep a stoolie with him as a decoy. From my own experience I have noticed that even during the rut, a lot of big bucks have a smaller buck lead the way, once he knows the coast is clear, he'll come out. So know your buck and his habbits ie escape routes and partners he may be traveling with. Know where he eats and where he goes to bed, and make sure he doesn't catch wind of you or your scent trail. Oh ya, keeping a spare release in your pack is a good idea because I went out a couple days ago and after about 20 minutes into my quad ride I remembered I left my release sitting on the seat of my quad. Lucky for me when I looked down it was under my foot on my foot peg. My back up release is now in my pack. Good luck.
    I sit most of the time and hang my bow all of the time. Never had it cost me deer. I have shot several while sitting there nice and comfy in my seat though

We all no its best to prepare stand sites well before the season but we also know it always doesn't work out that way. If I do have to cut branches I like to rub dirt over the fresh cut. This way it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and will help it blend in naturally. Also make sure any locks used to lock up your stands are well camoed. I had a nice buck bust me once cause he caught the glare off my lock from the setting sun. So basically pay attention to details and you will put your tags on more bucks.

#1 is time put on stand.
    Nock On TV

Quote Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
    Must be present to win!
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8whitehunter View Post
    Can't kill them unless you're out there.
    Amen!!!! Be there
    I live by my own rules (reviewed, revised, and approved by my wife).. but still my own-

stay scent free as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
    I sit most of the time and hang my bow all of the time. Never had it cost me deer. I have shot several while sitting there nice and comfy in my seat though
    I think you picked up the wrong quote for your post, but I sit down 85% of the time too.

its cheaper to buy meat at the market,, so have fun when your out there take a camera and make memories,,, you cant buy those!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast