Archery Talk Forum banner

What Is Your #1 Deer Hunting Tip?

10K views 99 replies 95 participants last post by  mba2010 
#1 ·
If you had to share just one deer hunting tip with a friend, what would it be?

I want to hear everyone's #1 deer hunting tip and then Im going to publish an article on my blog, Wired To Hunt, featuring the Top 10 Deer Hunting Tips From Archery Talk.

Share your tips here and then when I pick the top 10 and make the post, I'll let you guys know!

#5 ·
1. if you dont use or never tryed using a climber i would recomend it. it helped my hunting out more than anything i have done.

#6 ·
1. Pick you battles, It's better to hunt once with the correct wind the to hunt 10 times with the wind not in your favor.
2. If you have to ask yourself if he is a shooter, more than likely he isn't.
3. You don't have to hunt high to be successfull, just in the right tree with the right wind.
4. Invest in a comfy stand, the longer your in the stand the better your odds are (especially during rut).
5. Shower and keep your clothes as scent free as possible. that means dressing and undressing at you vehicle before and after the hunt.
Last but not least, you can't kill a big deer if they are not there. LET THEM GO SO THEY CAN GROW!

#8 ·
Must be present to win!
The harder I work, the luckier I get!
Be unobtrusive, have good entry and exit routes!
Stay mobile, deer pattern hunters quicker than most hunters pattern them!
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back!

#54 ·
I agree 100%

Another is: Use the landscape to your advantage by staying 1 step ahead of the animal.

#17 ·

remember to control your breathing, that will help keep you in the moment and slow your mind from racing when the time comes ...and the time will come . .....so be ready and breath.

#21 ·
OH, you saw The Patriot to? LOL

#20 ·
Well if you're going to be successful you have to first FIND the deer.

So:
1. early season find the FOOD, WATER, and COVER and you'll find the deer.
2. Rut- find known doe hangouts and Hunt the DOES and you'll find your bucks!
3. Always hunt the WIND...take no chances

#25 ·
Patience patience patience!!! oh and I love the pick a hair or feather that is what my brother told me 18 years ago when i started bow hunting and to this day as i am drawing on a deer that is what i say to myself rght before i exhale and squeez the shot off and that goes for gun hunting just as much as bow hunting.

#26 ·
I think this is the one most people screw up, because they are so excited. Wait a 1/2 hr to an 1 hour before going after your deer.

I had a buddy, I finally quit hunting with him, who would shoot a deer and run right up to it. It would take off and we would track all night. He did it every time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.