Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Made Walk-in fridge (deer fridge)

Home Made Walk-in fridge (deer fridge)

Got started on my project of a walk-in fridge today and I'll be taking pics along the way and showing them as it progresses and then what it looks like when it's completed.

It will be 4'x4'x6', fully insulated and covered with vapor barrier. It will be cooled with a 10,000 btu air conditioner which will be controlled by a CoolBot, which should be arriving this week.

Here are the pics from today as it is in it's beginning stages.. I'll update this post as I get more done and take more pics.

Archers Against Cancer - Shooting for a Cure!
    Event Founder and Organizer!
    Help Us make A Difference!
    Supporting the "Gene Goodreau Patient Assistance Fund"

Great start I've been building the same thing only a little bigger at 6.5' by 7.5' by 8', got to make sure the air conditioner will get cool enough most will only cool to 50 degrees or so.

ttt
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).
    3rd BTN, 9th Marines---Semper Fi!!!
    2010 Elite Judge 70# @ 26"...415 grain arrow at 275 FPS for 69#'s of KE.
    67 1/4" Osage Self bow 51#'s @ 26"
    Paulie G. http://www.vortexoptics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Jurgenson View Post
    Great start I've been building the same thing only a little bigger at 6.5' by 7.5' by 8', got to make sure the air conditioner will get cool enough most will only cool to 50 degrees or so.
    With the CoolBot installed I'll be able to keep my fridge at a steady 37 degrees without any problem. Mine will also be totally portable. All the sides and roof will be lag bolted together. Need to move it, no problem, just remove the lag bolts and take it with you to hunting camp with a generator

That's pretty sweet never heard of the coolbot before, should work great!

Today I managed to get all the walls, the roof and the door insulated and completed. I have to be honest, I'm pretty thrilled how this is all coming together because working with wood is definitely not one of my strong points. Usually I can measure things 10 times and still screw it up........lol

Start of insulation - I'm using an R14 insulation.

Insulating Walls

A/C Wall

Roof with deer hanging hooks

All walls, door and roof completed!!

Home Made

What is the "coolbot" and can anyone install it or do I have to have my ac unit converted by an ac techincian? Thanks
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Quote Originally Posted by ILOVE3D View Post
    What is the "coolbot" and can anyone install it or do I have to have my ac unit converted by an ac techincian? Thanks
    Absolutely anyone can install it and there are no conversions to do to your AC unit at all. What the click > CoolBot does is, it allows your ac unit to run at lower temps then it normally would be able too.

Just a friendly suggestion!!!
    From past experience cote the inner walls with a cheap pickup bed liner, blood soaks into the wood and insulation making for a hell of a smell when the ac goes off, it also make clean up easier and is another layer of insulation, we eventually started doing the outsides to. It keeps them perfected better from the elements.

great idea!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Quest Hammer 28"/70#, QAD Rests, TrophyRidge Sights, Alpine Quivers, TruFire Releases, G5 Broadheads, BowJax Silencing, Beaman Arrows, Blazer vanes

ttt
    Marty Poole
    Team #30 - Crimson Vanes
    facebook.com/huntfish25
    SHOOT A BOWTECH 05 ALLEGIANCE DUALLY 80bls XX78 2219 29" ARROW WITH 125 MUZZY 3 BLADE BROAD HEAD. 590G AT 263FPS 91 KE's 20 yards - 80 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Arrow View Post
    Just a friendly suggestion!!!
    From past experience cote the inner walls with a cheap pickup bed liner, blood soaks into the wood and insulation making for a hell of a smell when the ac goes off, it also make clean up easier and is another layer of insulation, we eventually started doing the outsides to. It keeps them perfected better from the elements.
    Actually, walls will be coated with Varathane for that exact reason . Definitely makes for easier cleanup.

Today everything got 3 coats of Varathane. Tomorrow I have to install an outlet in my garage for the AC unit and then hopefully I will be lag bolting everything together.

Just a suggestion on the coolbot deal, if you want to save 1/3 the cost look for freezer controllers much like these.. I think the first one is rated at 12 amps and the second one is rated at 15 amps but dont remember but depending on what size window ac your gonna run will fatcor in... http://www.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-1110...=pd_sbs_misc_2
    http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTR...I_P183C100.cfm

Now, are you saying to use one of those INSTEAD of the CoolBot or run one of these with the CoolBot to help control temps?

http://www.storeitcold.com/

found this on line sounds like he's on to great things.
    PSE Bows/ Bow madness, Phenom,
    MFAA/NFAA member

Hey Maxtor,
    I thought I would give you a heads up, on the coolbot, I was reading there "How to make a cooler section" and they say not to use fiberglass insulation, I noticed that is what you where using. I am planning on making one of these next year, and love the coolbot idea. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
    Now, are you saying to use one of those INSTEAD of the CoolBot or run one of these with the CoolBot to help control temps?
    Yes, use this instead of the coolbot.. Just hardwire the thermostat wire bypassing the thermostat and than plug the window ac into this controller and plug your controller in and set what perimeters and temp you want and turn the window ac to stay on all the time.. This controller will give power to the window unit when it needs to cool down, and shuts power going to the window unit when its at temp.. These freezer controllers are pretty much the same as the coolbot and just as easy to hook up if not easier..

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country View Post
    Hey Maxtor,
    I thought I would give you a heads up, on the coolbot, I was reading there "How to make a cooler section" and they say not to use fiberglass insulation, I noticed that is what you where using. I am planning on making one of these next year, and love the coolbot idea. Good Luck.

Yes, you're right, they do say that on their site. But they are referring too HUGE fridges and ones that are being kept outdoors and run through the warmer months. Mine is much smaller, being kept in a garage and only being run in the fall. A friend of mine has a fridge basically like mine (not run by a coolbot but a much more expensive unit) and his is done the exact same way as mine as far as insulation and bigger. We've been using his fridge for about 8 years now and it's amazing how good it works and there are absolutely no signs of any moisture getting in like they describe. Again, they refer to units being run outside. My fridge will be the 4th one now between myself and people I know and they all run perfectly and have no issues. The only issue I've seen is one of the guys used the wrong brand AC unit the first two times and he burned them both out.....lol
    That rigid foam insulation costs a fortune in my area. The coolbot site says to use 4" of insulation, which would cost around $100 per wall here. That's a bit too pricey for me when I already know the fiberglass insulation works perfectly for what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by q2_hunter View Post
    Yes, use this instead of the coolbot.. Just hardwire the thermostat wire bypassing the thermostat and than plug the window ac into this controller and plug your controller in and set what perimeters and temp you want and turn the window ac to stay on all the time.. This controller will give power to the window unit when it needs to cool down, and shuts power going to the window unit when its at temp.. These freezer controllers are pretty much the same as the coolbot and just as easy to hook up if not easier..
    Wonder how this one would handle freeze up problems. From studying the Coolbot it seems to have a frost sensor to go into a defrost (off) mode.

I'm not a Coolbot plant, as a matter of fact, I just heard of it here in this post. I do sell walk in coolers and this thing seems like a hell of a good idea.........

Quote Originally Posted by mmwtdh View Post
    Wonder how this one would handle freeze up problems. From studying the Coolbot it seems to have a frost sensor to go into a defrost (off) mode.

I'm not a Coolbot plant, as a matter of fact, I just heard of it here in this post. I do sell walk in coolers and this thing seems like a hell of a good idea.........
    I know the coolbot has the ability to "override" the ac unit and allow it to run colder than it normally could without doing harm to the ac. Wonder if the two systems that q2 hunter posted have the same ability? I just know that a couple friends here run these coolbots and they love them. To me, the extra $ was well worth the reassurance.

I would think running a fan across the window ac would help with freeze up, besides you would want a fan running inside keeping air movement going.. Im in the process of building a walk in cooler my self, I actually got big cooler panels and just cutting them down to size.. Once I finish getting the cooler built I will be ordering the controller I posted link to and will find out for myself...

This looks awesome

Just a thought you could use FRP board (the stuff on the walls in restaurant kitchens sold at lowes or home depot) on the inside its food safe I think

I believe the coolbot is tricking the window ac thermostat with a probe that shows warmer than what the temp is.. My idea is you dont have to do that using the controller I posted about and just bypassing the thermostat on the ac unit..

Quote Originally Posted by q2_hunter View Post
    I believe the coolbot is tricking the window ac thermostat with a probe that shows warmer than what the temp is.. My idea is you dont have to do that using the controller I posted about and just bypassing the thermostat on the ac unit..
    I agree with that.

I think it just adds a frost sensor to override asking for cold when frost has built up.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast