a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of coyotes?

How to get rid of coyotes?

Whats the best way to thin this guys out? Someone told me soak sponges in bacon grease & they will eat them & die because they can't pass them, I just don't believe it. I have trapped them in the past but was hoping for an easier way.

i don't know about fl regs, but in kentucky we have a year round season with no limit, so we shoot the heck out of them

Yep, a 7mm Mag should do the trick .. split them in two and be done with em.

Trapping is the best way I've found. I trap as many as I can and hunt them as much as possible in the off seasons, but it's still hard to get a handle on their numbers up here. As much as I hate coyotes I don't think I could feed them sponges. I've heard it works also but, that's a little too inhumane for me, even for coyotes.
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT, 66lbs, 28.5'', WB, Black Gold Amp, Fuse Quiver, Beman ICS Hunters, 100gr Thunderheads

Quote Originally Posted by Fldeerslayer View Post
    Whats the best way to thin this guys out? Someone told me soak sponges in bacon grease & they will eat them & die because they can't pass them, I just don't believe it. I have trapped them in the past but was hoping for an easier way.
    That sounds like a pretty cruel way to handle it, and you'd likely kill anything that finds the bait. Including dogs and fox.

Just shoot the damn things.
    Hoyt Vectrix

Get a Fox Pro and a 22-250 and have some fun.
    Bowtech Destroyer 350- 29in/73 lbs
    QAD Pro, Doinker D2, Hoggitt 5-.019/.010

Octane Bantam Weight
    Maxima Blue Streak Select/85 NAP Spitfire

I don't like the sponge idea either. As far as shooting them goes it's just not an effective way to get rid of them, they wise up to those calls very quick. I guess a combination of shooting & trapping would be best.

When I was a park Ranger in the Lower State of Sc a fella that lived next door had a 100 acre fox pen and he HATED yotes. He would take meat scaps and put them on a big treble hook and hang the meet 4 ft off the ground. The yotes would jump up and basically hang themselves. COMPLETELY against the law but he handled his business.
    God Bless America's Fighting men and women!!!
    "DO WHAT'S RIGHT, NOT WHAT"S EASY "
    Gold-Tip- Tru Ball - Bow Rattler - Proline Bowstrings - TWO BROTHERS ARCHERY
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Out here a lot of farmers will kill about 5 or 6 of them and throw them over their fence lines. They say the rotting coyote scares off the live coyotes. Don't know if it works though.

Feed them lots of lead
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

Quote Originally Posted by clbryant1981 View Post
    Out here a lot of farmers will kill about 5 or 6 of them and throw them over their fence lines. They say the rotting coyote scares off the live coyotes. Don't know if it works though.
    Alternatively, you could display their heads on pikes. We do that to warn potential trespassers.
    Hoyt Vectrix

Quote Originally Posted by jwcatto View Post
    When I was a park Ranger in the Lower State of Sc a fella that lived next door had a 100 acre fox pen and he HATED yotes. He would take meat scaps and put them on a big treble hook and hang the meet 4 ft off the ground. The yotes would jump up and basically hang themselves. COMPLETELY against the law but he handled his business.
    dang! thats pretty rough. rougher than the sponge method IMO.
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

Shoot or trap like everyone else said. The hooks, sponges, poison, and all that other crap will kill anything. I can't stand to see any animal, even one I don't like, suffer.

I don't know much about trapping but how about one of those cage traps, & a 22mag to it's head.

I had an old timer tell me the same thing. He claimed that they made such terrible cries while hanging that the the other yotes left the area. As others have said here, I will shoot every coyote I see but would never do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahog12 View Post
    That sounds like a pretty cruel way to handle it, and you'd likely kill anything that finds the bait. Including dogs and fox.

Just shoot the damn things.
    I agree, a bullet or and arrow should work just fine.

We had this one put to sleep.....permanently!!

Even coyotes deserve better than that fate.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb

Quote Originally Posted by clbryant1981 View Post
    I would say that is a old wifes tale. From everything I have read trapping is the only true way to really put a dent in the yote population.

ask around and find a local trapper. trappers are always looking for new ground to trap. I know I'm a trapper

I read an article about coyotes a few years ago, by a game biologist, that said that when coyotes invade an area, they will always be there. The article stated that if you could kill 50% of of the coyotes in an area, they will produce larger litters until the population is back to where it was. The only thing that we can do is kill every coyote, when given the oppourtunity, by any means neccessary. This will only keep the numbers down. I saw a documentary on coyotes about some pretty extreme methods that some western states use to keep the numbers down. One state not only poisoned them, but sent CO's out into the field during the birthing season to locate dens and pull the pups out to be euthanised. The first time that I ever heard of coyotes in my state was back in the 70's, and that was only in the western part of the state. Now they are all over and here to stay. 20 years ago, you could not throw a rock in the bushes without flushing a flock of turkeys in one county that I hunt. It was common to see huge flocks feeding in fields. Since the coyotes moved in, I'm seeing fewer and fewer turkeys each year. I normally only kill animals that I plan to eat, but I will not pass up a coyote if I'm given a chance to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
    Even coyotes deserve better than that fate.
    I agree. I don't have it in me to be that cruel to an animal. Even a coyote. Its just an animal out hunting and looking for a meal, to get him through to another day, just like us humans. I know that sounds soft, but he's only a problem to us cause we often are pursuing the same prey.

Now if he's posing a direct threat to me or others, then ain't nothing I wouldnt' do. Never bat an eye.
    Its not what I do.........Its who I am..

hire - drive - buy - be

AMERICAN

http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/

I don't dig the sponge idea either.

Hunt 'em! Makes for some fun the the off season.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

coyotes are ruining hunting in northeast PA, we shot less deer every year and yet the population continues to shrink rapidly from where it was 10yrs ago.. my uncle, where i hunt at but do not live near said just this spring he saw 3 times coyotes in the middle of the day with fawns in their mouth.... and turkeys, wont even go up to hunt them next year. used to be able to go anywhere without running into a turkey in the woods with birds everywhere in the spring now you can spend 3 days up there and hear a few distant gobbles and thats it.

seen a few coyotes deer hunting but never got a shot off, dad kill one last year. tried hunting them but dont have much time besides when im there for actual deer season. but something has to be done about these things

Thats pretty sick and cruel. I would much rather shoot them(i get about 1 a year while bow hunting). I don't care what the animal is, call me a softy but you would have to think how that animal lived its last minutes, being hung from a treble hook is disturbing to me.
    Bowtech Destroyer 340

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast