Thread: Can use my fingers to shoot a regular Compound Bow?

Can use my fingers to shoot a regular Compound Bow?

Forgive my noob question. But I am new at bow hunting and I want to learn all I can before I go out into the field.
    A friend sold me his Fred Bear Whitetail surpreme bow. It is currently set at a 30 draw length and draw weight is 60 lbs. I tried using a trigger bow release, but after a coulple of accidental releases I am scared to use one now. I feel more secure using my fingers to draw. My question is will there be any long term negative effects on my fingers? Also yes I do use a archers glove. Thanks

you can use a glove but you wont get the accuracy and consistance not to much sore fingers, get a good trigger release and make sure to keep your finger behind the trigger until you are ready to fire, just like a gun (keep on "safe" and finger off trigger til ready to fire)

I just read an interview with Chuck Adams. He said he uses a tab because it is faster to shoot (nock an arrow and draw and fire) than a release. He also added that at the distances he shoots his accuracy is not affected that much.

There is nothing wrong with using your fingers. I like it much more and it makes me feel more connected with the bow. There is a "Finger Shooting" section with a lot of very helpful, experienced folks, far more so than myself.

The one thing I will say is, don't let finger shooting be your crutch or excuse for being a mediocre shot. If you really want to shoot fingers, put the time in & I think you'll find it very rewarding.

i shot fingers for years before going to a release. i started with a glove but after calouses built up i ditched the glove so i could have a better feel for the bow. but that was 25 years ago i prefer a release with modern technology

There is nothing wrong with shooting finger style. Don't let anyone tell you that your accuracy will suffer. Once you learn proper form you can shoot as accurately as you want. Most of the folks here weren't around before releases. I will say though, that modern technology makes shooting easier for most.
    Rod
    ---------------------------------
    If we weren't meant to eat them, they wouldn't be made out of meat.

The older I get, The better I was.

a mechanical release is just that, m e c h a n i c a l, it's not a human's release so you won't have the consistency like previously posted going with fingers. i gave my friend my old bow and we were shooting and sometimes i would see him hit himself in the face and the arrow go 15-20 yrds. and stick in the ground, he was hitting the release accidently while drawing the bow back. i told him to keep his finger behind the trigger and maybe even push forward instead of pulling on it, with little to no help. using fingers is just another variable to throw off your setup when it could be a constant. bow hunters usually go from shooting a newer compound with a release and a range finder to shooting stick and string with a flint field tip, and end up like the guy off of strickland's wounding and loosing most of which he shoots at...BUT OHH NOO, THE FLINT DID IT"S JOB...lol, i don't understand this mentality that makes killing w/o retrieving alright, just so you can say you did it primitively... why don't these people try the rock, or a club if they want to hunt primitively? these modern advances are here for a reason >>they work<<

Yes you can and believe it or not tons of deer have been shot that way. It's just like anything else, you need to practice it to get it right.
    Pick a spot, a small spot!

yes you sure can i used to shoot fingers i now shoot a release just because i am better that way but my dad shoots fingers he tried a release and didnt shoot as well with it. he has a better feel using his fingers and he shoots a modern compound bow that way the shorter ATA bows make it tough though cause the string angles are alot more extreme and pinch your fingers the shortest he was comfortable with was a 37" ATA. accuracy will not suffer because you use your fingers its all in the practice
    Proud Shooter of Breathn Built bows
    John's Custom Archery Killing Staff
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo

On most of the older and less aggressive cam bows it shouldnt be a problem. The bow shop tech and I have heard this a couple other places is that on the newer very fast bows of today it is not a good idea because they are more likely to torque the string when pulling back and roll the string off of the cam. I havent seen or tried it myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by shec6135 View Post
    a mechanical release is just that, m e c h a n i c a l, it's not a human's release so you won't have the consistency like previously posted going with fingers. i gave my friend my old bow and we were shooting and sometimes i would see him hit himself in the face and the arrow go 15-20 yrds. and stick in the ground, he was hitting the release accidently while drawing the bow back. i told him to keep his finger behind the trigger and maybe even push forward instead of pulling on it, with little to no help. using fingers is just another variable to throw off your setup when it could be a constant. bow hunters usually go from shooting a newer compound with a release and a range finder to shooting stick and string with a flint field tip, and end up like the guy off of strickland's wounding and loosing most of which he shoots at...BUT OHH NOO, THE FLINT DID IT"S JOB...lol, i don't understand this mentality that makes killing w/o retrieving alright, just so you can say you did it primitively... why don't these people try the rock, or a club if they want to hunt primitively? these modern advances are here for a reason >>they work<<
    i understand your thought process and yes i use a release and sights but the other side of the coin is that any mechanical device is an opportunity for equipment failure in the woods. i keep my bow as simple as possible non moveable sight (single sight pin), non moveable rest. i would shoot fingers still but i simply shoot better with a release when target practicing. i could tell no difference in the woods shooting fingers vs a release i had trouble practicing with fingers simply b/c i thought about it too much and would let my fingers jump instead of making a smooth release.
    Proud Shooter of Breathn Built bows
    John's Custom Archery Killing Staff
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo