Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker VS Mathews

Parker VS Mathews

Hey guys,
    I am looking around for a new bow. The two I have been considering between are a Mathews and a Parker. My buddy owns and LX and loves it and i am looking for either a Q2 or something like an MQ32. As far as Parker goes, I have fallen in love with the new Phoenix 34's. Any advice or suggestions on either of them? Thanks

I can tell you the Phoenix is going to be having some serious string serving problems . Have you looked at the cam lobe ?

You will also have a much better resale value with the Mathews line of bows .

Richard

I would agree with Meatco1. The Phoenix is a great bow, but I have reserved and made strings for several of them. The cam does tend to wear the power cable and it's serving.

Best advice is to shoot both bows and chose the one that feels best to you. No one else can tell you what will work for you.

good luck

You will also have a much better resale value with the Mathews line of bows .

Richard[/QUOTE]

True. How long are you planning on keeping the bow? I debated between the same two bows. Mathews holds it's resale way better - if your planning on keeping the bow a long time and are looking at price then the Parker is a good bow. If your gonna upgrade in a year or two then I would consider resale. However I shopped around and found that there wasn't that big of a price jump between the two when there new.

I would probably keep this bow a good while. I'm 16 and go out hunting with my friends a lot, and i dont have too much to spend on bows to be buying one every year or 2. I love mathews, but if i get one, i am hoping to pick up a used one...and same with the Parker. I mean, i havent had the chance to shoot any other mathews except an LX and i loved it. I'm 6'1 and 165lbs, so im lookin for a little bit longer ata. You guys know a good, all-around bow? And about how long will the serving last on the Phoenix 34?

P.S. I was considering the challenge of a Black Max 2, but heck, with 330+fps and a 5 1/2" brace height, the littlest movement would put your arrow quite a ways off...
    Last edited by bowhntr03; December 12th, 2004 at 12:32 AM.

new bow

I too just got a new bow. I am planning on keeping it for many years. My last new bow was 15 yrs ago . I could have gotten what I bought, off ebay, only 1 year old, for half what I paid for the new one. Why not? Because if you really plan on keeping it for quite some time, then consider that the new bows come with a Warranty. Something to seriously consider.

Hey guys,
    Just thought I'd add this in here. Ok, I am just getting into hunting with my buddies. I just shoot 3d with them right now for practice, but the bow I have right now is the biggest piece of junk you've ever seen. It's an OOOLD Darton bow i got off ebay for 20 bucks. It is louder than a rifle and is messed up beyond belief. Here's the details on this. It is set at 63lbs, I shoot it fingers, it is a dual cam, 42" ata, and the handle is a solid piece of wood. I do not use a sight, so i shoot instinctive, and i have a $9 arrow rest on it that is stationary and will not drop like it should, so i left it. Anyways, the limbs are warped(pretty bad from what the local shop said), the bolts are rusty and the wood is all messed up. Now, this is what is probably hard to believe for you guys, but I would give you my buddies e-mail to ask them. I can group arrows pretty darn good with this thing from less than 2" at 25yrds to around 3 1/2 at 40yrds. Now, think about everything i said previously, haha. Needless to say, i stopped shooting it after the guy at the store said every shot from then on would bring my bow closer to "literally exploding." haha, well, just thought I'd add that in there, so i figure i could probably do good with a Mathews or Parker. Well, thanks again,
    Take Care,

Hello bowhntr03:

Were it me, (I know it's not) I would be looking in the classified here on AT for a good used Mathews, Hoyt (cam & half), or Bowtech.

You will most likely find a very good price on a lightly used bow .

I would look to buy from a person who has a good feedback profile, before sending any $$, and I would pay only with a US Postal Money Order.

Just my opinion,

Richard

If your thinking about getting the MQ32, dont forget to take a look at MQ1. Both of those bows are pretty much the same but the only difference between is the axel to axel length & brace height. I shot tested them both. The 32 is a good bow especially for 3D archery while the MQ1 is better bow for hunting purpose.

Like what others said, shoot what your comfortable with.

Good luck with your bow shopping.

parker- mathews

Hay there bud, Its a tough choice I have a ultra-lite 35 and just bought a Mathews outback, I,ve heard that Mathews is the inoveator of new ideas, and they draw royalities from other manufactures, and not just Parker, and while Mathews will for sure bring a better resale they cost a lot more too. My Parker is very smooth,quiet, and consistant,it is a very nice shooter, now the Mathews I feel is a little heaver bow but it draws so smooth and is so quiet and is almost compleatly vibration free, but is heaver than the parker they both have nice fitting wood handles, with the mathews being the slightly smaller grip witch fits my 5'8" frame very nice, I will say that right from the get go I was grouping tighter and dead center more often than with the parker. I hope that helps LOL you need to shoot each to see what is right for you because like ford vs chev vs dodge mathews vs hoyt vs parker there are all top of the line bows, but when you feel it you'll know what you like in an instant GOOD LUCK

Not sure where you are at in NC, but if not too far from Chesapeake, VA, give me a PM.

Anyway, I handle a lot of both of these bows and if I were in your position, I would go with the Mathews bow for several reasons -- and I currently do not shoot either brand, so no bias.

For purposes of this discussion, I will be assuming both bows will be basically in new condition and of current models. The new Mathews bows have a lot more attention to detail than the Parker bows. The limb retention system is better, the cams are better, the risers are more highly machined, and even the strings are better (not that they are good, but they are actually better). Parker bows still use nylon bushings while Mathews bows all have bearings. The wall on a Mathews is so much more solid than on a Parker. Parker bows have been coming in very long on draw length (I have seen them up to 1 3/4" longer than stated on the tag) where as the Mathews bows have been coming in usually within 1/8" of the sticker. Both companies offer good warranties.

If you are looking for resale, then go with Mathews. If you are looking for a good hunting bow designed for HUNTING, then do not discount the Parker. It had to be one of the quietest, smoothest bows I shot last year.

The only reason I am shooting a Martin is these guys here at AT. They got me hooked

BTW, send that Darton back to the factory. I have a friend who just sent in a 10-15 year old Darton Lightning and they took real good care of him for no cost.

Dan

Parkers have many advantages for a young man

Parker allow you to grow with the bow for a module that cost $9.95 your bow can go from 26' to 31" as you grow

When you go to sell it any one can buy a Parker for a $9.95 Module if you have a 28" draw the they buyer has a 26" draw he can buy your bow That why you seldom see any Parkers onthe Market

a Mathews CAM set cost About $111.00 and they have very little adjustment

Last time I looked the Parkers are about $100 to $200 less too.

There are so many Mathews models that you have to shoot several to find the one for you.

Also Mathews has some Major issue with limb breakage.

Parker gets a about 3 bows a week in for repair.They have close to 200,000+ bows out there

They just done break...... Also Parker Factory staff is hassle free and at Mathews I hear there is always a hassle with any service problem or limb replacement.

One man does allthe bow repair and test shootign he is a senior top guy Johnny Parker

If you ever had a problem at Parker with a dealer or bow you can calland talk to th presidenet Bob Errett

Try that at Mathews.

Check the Polls here on Archery Talk

Mathews has the lowest percentage of customer satisfaction in the industry
    If I were a young man I would opt for a Parker. I have 5 Mathews too

TINK
    Parker fan
    Last edited by Africanbowhunter; December 12th, 2004 at 09:56 AM. Reason: errors

Try a BOWTECH please...you may change your mind about both brands. I'll say that I was a Mathews wanna be for a long time. What turned me off was the arrogance of dealers ie: these bows sell theirselves, I will rape you on the price and any repairs (thats how I felt most of the times). Seriously, check out a BOWTECH, make sure you look at the LIBERTY an JUSTICE if your looking for a SMOOTH drawing/shooting bow...not the fastest in the world but very practical for all around shooting. The VFT system is awesome. As you can see by my sig, I am still a DARTON fan (since 1990) but tried a BOWTECH and now I am sold on the whole concept and design. Their customer service is TOP NOTCH and any complaints against a dealer is seriously taken.

Good luck on your search...

Both are good bows. The string issue should'nt be a problem this year on the Phoenix. Parker went to a custom string maker and reworked the cam to help solve the problem with the serving. I hunted with a Phoenix 32 this year and just ordered a Phoenix 34. Shoot both brands and see which one you like. Every bow is different.

I would have to disagree with the "String issue" being fixed . Parker has, and continues to buy the cheapest strings on the market ($8.00 total cost for the string & cable) . The Phoenix cam design has, and continues to tear up the servings around the lobe .

bowhntr03, there are other Parker models out there with better cam designs . Be aware however, that all Parker bows come from the factory with the cheapest strings available . You will have to buy a better made string set to get the desired consistency out of any Parker bow. You might also take “Tinks” post with a “Grain of Salt”. Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, are the top selling bows for a reason. If you can find the model you like at a good price here on AT, buy it. You won’t be making a mistake.

Tink, you think you might be just a little prejudiced . This is a 16 year old young man, with not a lot of $$ to spend. The string problem alone on the “Phoenix” will continue to cost him $$ I’m sure he doesn’t’ want to be spending.

Richard

Don't think parker has not had it's share of limb proplems also.

Meatco, read my post again. Parker is not using $8 strings on the Phoenix this year. I'm talking 2005, my fault, I should of clarrified that. Stone Mountian Dakota. They upgraded and they've worked on the cam for 2005. Parker listened to all the complaints and bashing about there strings. If you want to be top dog, use better products. My Phoenix will be in Tuesday so I'll let the world know about the string and cam issue. I don't think you could go wrong with either bow company. I could give you pros and cons about many companies but I won't bash them.

Hello Jacko:

I read you post, but as far as I've heard Parker has not changed the strings.

I know Parker has tested several string companies including "Vapor Trail, Stone Mt. and at least two other string mfg's. All were not in the price bracket Parker wanted wanted to pay. Unless Parker has changed their minds in the last 3 weeks, there is to be no change for 2005 .

If you have something in one of Parkers 2005 brochures or other written text, please share it with us , as I’m sure Parker wouldn’t want that kept a secret. I’m all for a change in Parkers attitude concerning strings .

By the way, this is not a cheap shot, it is simply sharing common knowledge about the Parker Bow Company’s string choice. Now if only Hoyt would get the message !

Richard

As i said for a growing lad a Parker is a wise choice The Hunter Mag is a super bow and very fast

The ATA Speed on the Parker Hunter Mag about $325 is 239 FPS Speed onthe newest Mathews Switchback is 241 FPS about $750.

The Parker has a module you change for $10 the Mathews doesn't grow with the bow

They have new String for 2005

watch Jan 6th @ ATA TINK

Tink,

I understand you recommending Parker because of the easy draw change but why bash Mathews. Mathews backs their products just go on the Mathews website and look in the tech forum. If anybody has a problem with a bow Mathews tells them to send it in they will fix it. How many other companies have a website that you can talk to a factory tech and get answers?
    Rise and shine its devil dog time

Trophy Taker
    G-5 Optix
    Doinker
    Gold Tip
    Mathews Drenalin LD 28" 70"

tink get off the pipe mathews is one of the best in customer service

and u must be dreaming of a limb problem

also u shouldnt post about something you HEARD ABOUT

in the end u look rediculus i had limbs on my MQ1 replaced UNDER WARRANTY because they were scratched took mathews 3 days to send me my limbs
    THATS WHAT I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE

Jeeeezzzzz I thought you would be over this by now.......

Can't trust speed ratings on Parker bows, especially when they come in at 1 3/4" over the ATA draw length that the sticker says.

I can almost gaurantee that the Switchback when set up at the same specs as a Parker will blow it away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast