Archery Talk Forum banner

Glenn St. Charles Campfire "Such a deal..."

135K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  thudpucker 
#1 ·
Recently I was in Nebraska to perform four archery exhibitions at the Ponca State Park for a big EXPO they hosted. After the Expo Dick and Carol Mauch hosted me at their beloved Plum Creek Cabin for some Fall turkey hunting. While in town we recieved word that Glenn St. Charles had passed away.

Dick mentioned that they had built a fire when Fred Bear passed and that he wanted to do one in Glenn's memory. So Carol baked an apple pie (Glenn loved pie) and Dick found one of Glenn's old cedar hunting arrows with a bear razorhead. I built a nice fire and Dick, Carol and I enjoyed celebrating Glenn's life. Dick recited from memory "Death, the collector" by Edgar A Guest and then added the arrow to the fire. Carol had hand written Glenn's last words on a paper plate with the pie, "Such a deal" and tossed the piece of apple pie into the fire. Then we sat and enjoyed the beautiful fire. Many stories were told and it was a fitting fire.

The next morning I used one of my hunting arrows to dig through the fire and find the Bear razorhead among the ashes. I took it in and gave it to Dick. Next we layed it on St. Charles' book, "Bows on the Little Delta" and I snapped a photo. Then I went bowhunting.

When I returned we enjoyed some of Dick's famous sourdough waffles... he got the starter for these at the Little Delta around 50 years ago and has kept the sour dough starter going since then. The waffles were great. Now I see Fred, Lattimer, and St. Charles' addiction to hunting with the Mauch's. Wow, there are no finer hosts.

Next, per Dick's request, I got my 60# hunting bow and took the Muzzy broadhead I used to dig the Bear razorhead up with... I placed it on one of my special signature arrows (#36) and drew the bow back and shot it into the interior wall of the cabin. Dick had Fred shot the cabin in 1982 and I was honored to once again follow Fred's track's by also shooting the cabin. His arrow was outside, mine was inside. I reminded Dick that it was the first P&Y cabin I'd ever shot. He laughed and said Fred had shot it too and I added, "Yeah, but the porches weren't there then and now it's bigger so my cabin scored more..."

I was sad to say So Long to Dick and Carol, it had been a fine weekend among friends. The little cabin on Plum Creek is a beautiful place to be and now I see why men like Glenn and Fred loved it there. Dick and Carol are special folks and I hope to see them again very soon.

I am writing a column on these events with more photos, I wanted to go ahead and post some pics and info now.

That's the latest. Our thoughts & prayers go out to the St. Charles family.

Shoot Straight,
Frank Addington, Jr.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
So long for now

Asprinbuster and friends;

It's always hard to let people we love and admire go; Mr. Glen St. Charles was a gentleman who cannot be replaced and who's presence will be greatly missed; the people at this cabin that you stayed recently seem also very special; you are truly blessed to have such wonderful friends; it's great to know that a wonderful place called heaven awaits us to once again join around a campfire that will NEVER burn out;

Thank you for sharing and may we all in someway leave a legacy like Glen St. Charles;

#9 ·
Fred Bear signed the denim curtain outside his bunk at nthe Plum Creek cabin. That started something. So after that all over night guests sign the curtains... there are names like Nugent, Ann Hoyt, Ann Clark, Earl Hoyt... 10 Archery Hall of Famers in all. Anyway, here's Glenn's signature outside the bunk he slept in.

Attachments

#11 ·
Nice post.... Thanks!!

Just curious.... What is that under where you shot the arrow? It looks like a hunk of meat but I doubt that's the case and I can't figure out what the red things are.

#18 ·
wow, cool story. i was pretty sad to hear of glenn's passing. someday im gonna meet the mauchs', god willing. bows on the little delta is by far my favorite book of all time. pretty cool way to pay tribute i think.
i was hunting moose and bear in canada when i heard of glenn's death.

#26 ·
Frank - I just got done reading Glenn St. Charles' book "Bows on the Little Delta". Every archer should read this fine book. Not only is it interesting reading about Glenn's hunting adventures, it brings into clear focus the fact that archery hunting wasn't always an accepted form of big game hunting. If it weren't for St. Charles and the other forebearers of archery hunting, we might not be enjoying this fine sport as we know it today.

What a privilege it must have been to visit with the Mauch's and spend time at their ranch. Thanks again for originating this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.