Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wear leather boots bowhunting

Anyone wear leather boots bowhunting

I always wear rubber boots when bowhunting dose anyone wear leather boots? I got a new pair of danner pronghorns last x-mas i never worn they been in my rubbermaid box with my rubber boots and i thinking about wearing them to the stand this season they would be more comfortable and easier to climb in then my rubber boots. Do you think a brand new pair of leather boots kept scentfree would work as well as a pair of rubber boots?
    MATHEWS Z7, 60 LBS.@ 26.5", X60 STRINGS, OCTANE STAB, AXCEL PRO SIGHT, ACC PRO 440, 85 GR. MAGNUS STINGERS = 360 GRS.
    ELITE Z28, 60 LBS.@ 27", X60 STRINGS, OCTANE STAB, AXCEL PRO SIGHT, ACC PRO 440, 85 GR. MAGNUS STINGERS = 380 GRS.

Clean them thoroughly with scent free detergent. Let them dry part way outdoors. Then spray with scent killer spray. Let fully dry outdoors and then put them in a rubber tote. Spray them down again before entering your hunting area. This is what I do with my Irish Setter boots. I have never had a deer spook crossing my path. I also wear scent pads with doe urine on them or some deer dander.

I only wear leather boots. I have one bad ankle and rubber boots just kill me so I have to wear leather for the ankle support. Never noticed a difference between rubber and leather. I always make sure to avoid crossing deer trails with either boot as much as possible.

I used to wear tennis shoes in early season. I washed them in sports wash, dried them in the sun, and packed them away in a storage tub with pine and cedar boughs. I watched a deer cross my path with nose to the ground and never showed any sign of having smelled me right before I arrowed him.

Leather boots are great for hunting. See my Pheebs Boot. Very comfortable and practical for hunting. By the way, what do u guys think about it?

I started bowhunting in 1969 and everybody wore leather boots during this time( or at least the ones in my hunting circle)There was no scent killer,or many of the products on the market today. I killed a lot of deer with a recurve and leather boots and no scent killer.

Hunt where I hunt and wear your rubber boots and lets take a look at your feet at the end of the day.
    Bernie's Brass Knuckles Staff
    Bowtech Insanity CPX, Bowtech Insanity CPXL Optifade Forest, Montana Black Gold sights, CX Maxima RED 350, PSE CF X Weave pro 300s

in the early season i wear leather boots because my feet get so hot with my insulated rubber boots

My favorite footwear is Minitonca knee high Moccasins. Only good when the weather is nice and dry. Never been winded. Love hunting in them.

Quote Originally Posted by mt_elkhunter View Post
    Hunt where I hunt and wear your rubber boots and lets take a look at your feet at the end of the day.
    What boots are you wearing in the moutains? How long do they last?

When I first started hunting I wore leather all the time, with out any problem. As a matter of fact I prefer leather. But now I hunt a big swamp and leather just won't work.
    PSE Bruin 60lbs @ 28"---PSE Sidewinder 60lbs @ 28"---Scotts Mongoose---Beman ICS Hunters 400---Rocky Mountain Snypers---Summit Cobra X4---Realtree Hardwoods---Summit Seat of the Pants.

Be Safe Shoot Straight

Quote Originally Posted by MATHEWS2005 View Post
    I always wear rubber boots when bowhunting dose anyone wear leather boots? I got a new pair of danner pronghorns last x-mas i never worn they been in my rubbermaid box with my rubber boots and i thinking about wearing them to the stand this season they would be more comfortable and easier to climb in then my rubber boots. Do you think a brand new pair of leather boots kept scentfree would work as well as a pair of rubber boots?

they will be just ok as long as you wear them for hunting only. but i prefer to wear rubber boots for whitetail hunting.

Tony
    2010 Hoyt Carbon Matrix, 2005 Hoyt Ultratec.

Sometimes I do.
    You have to understand that rubber leaves an odor also.

marty

Quote Originally Posted by mt_elkhunter View Post
    come on bud, not all of us have to hike 3000 feet and go 12 miles to hunt a deer or elk down.

yes i agree, i would never wear rubber boots for a Montana hunt, but for Iowa whitetail hunting they are great to use. most of us hunt small places, 100 acres or less and being carefull of scent is extremely important. so rubber boots are a great option.

Tony
    2010 Hoyt Carbon Matrix, 2005 Hoyt Ultratec.

I wear leather whenever possible since I hate the clammy feel I get from my LaCrosse boots. I only go to the rubber boots if I'm going to be crossing streams or swamps. Even when I have to wear rubber to get there, I sometimes schlep my leather Red Wings in so I don't have to sit in the sweaty and clammy rubber ones.

Never noticed a difference regarding a scent trail between leather and rubber.

I have always wore leather boots without a proplem I HATE rubber boots.

I got a pair of Redwings for work and a pair for hunting best boot IMO
    I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in somebody else's blood, and i have no problem going out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2010 View Post
    Leather boots are great for hunting. See my Pheebs Boot. Very comfortable and practical for hunting. By the way, what do u guys think about it?
    This is the first I've heard of them. From the picture in the link they appear to be flat soled with a tall heel, not something I'd want to hunt in. I prefer to have a conventional size heel with a good lug sole for traction. Sorry, others may like them, but these aren't for me.
    Thoughts entering one's mind need not escape one's mouth!
    As I age my memory fades .... and that's a load off my mind!

We Live In The Land Of The Free, Only Because Of The Brave
    2010 Elite GT500: 50&60lb, HHA DS-5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, VForce HV 400
    Hakuna Matata to all!

But I'm habitate to wear those kinds of shoes.

Yes. Danner Acadia's
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

I wear my Danner Pronghorns all season with no issues. They are great boots and very comfortable. I walk through quite a bit of mud and over the ankle water in mine with no leaking or excessive ware on the leather. Only time I wear rubber boots is if I am going in the swamp. Best of luck!

I have never used rubber boots and have had zero problems getting the job done.
    2008.5 Elite Z28 with Ripcord rest
    2008 Elite GTO with Rev cams and Ripcord rest
    2007 Diamond Black Ice

High up in a tree, maybe in Michigan, maybe not..
    Danner here and no issues. Take them to the dry cleaners and they can put them in this ozone machine that they use to clean sports equipment with (helmets pads) come out with no scent at all then use whatever cover scent you wish
    2011 MATHEWS Z7 EXTREME 73/29
    QAD HD Pro,Spot hogg hunter,
    389.92 grain Gold Tip Pro Hunter 75/95 with a RAGE Hypodermic
    Lone wolf stands

Danner Pronghorns for me. One pair is uninsulated, the other pair has 600 grams of Thinsulate.

I have a pair of Lacrosse AlphaBurly Sports that have been collecting dust and cobwebs for 2 years now.....and they still smell like rubber! First year I wore them I got winded more times while sitting in a tree than I ever have before. PM if you want them. I'll make you a good deal and I'll even clean them up first.....
    3 D350s and an Invasion

The only time I have ever worn rubber boots is to irrigate, and that was painful. Of course I wouldn't wear Danner Pronghorns either, I'd be better off wearing sandals. They have better traction and ankle support than the Pronghorns. After buying a pair, I cannot believe that they can consistently get that much money for them. Yes, I was a sucker..........but only once.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast