Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maitland USA Zeus Review

Maitland USA Zeus Review

Hereís my review of the Maitland USA Zeus.

I only recently learned of this new company while on AT. While checking out the website www.maitlandusa.com I realized that they were only a few miles from where I lived. So I called up Maitland and asked if I could come by and check out his bows.

While there I had a chance two shoot his 2010 model bows the Zeus and the Retribution. I went there with my attention directed more on the Zeus as it specs were what I was looking for as a 3-D only bow.

Maitland like many fellow ATírs was a pleasure to talk to and not just subjects pertaining to archery. His knowledge on bows left me with a good impression that this was someone who knew what he was doing.

After trying both of his bows and getting to know Maitland, I was thoroughly impressed and asked him to put together a black Zeus for me. Maitland left me a message the next day saying the bow was ready to go and I could come pick it up.

Now Iíve had this bow for a few weeks but I decided to hold off on a review until I had a chance to tune it and get some time putting arrows down range.

Below you will find some videoís of me shooting the bow at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. The videos were done on the same day and it was the first day I had shot the bow beyond 20 yards. I intended to sight the bow in past 20 yards but being the knucklehead I am I forgot my Allen Set (not the first time). So I ended up just shooting the bow for groups. Most of the videos were taken on the 1st group with some of the further distances being only after I had put a couple arrows down range prior. I think you will see that the bow is very accurate especially being that I am by no means a professional. It was also a bit windy and the arrows were my first attempt at fletching on my new Bitzinger fletching tool. Luckily it wasnít caught on video but one of my fletching came off in flight and I missed completely. This might have been the same arrow that was ending up as a flyer in couple of my groups or there is a very good possibility it was just poor shooting on my part.

I set the bow up with a Trophy Taker SS Pro rest, Axcel Armortech Pro (5) .10 pin sight, Doinker Field Stabilizer, Winners Choice Pre-Cut D-Loop, and a Specialty Archery Peep with insert.

The bow has 70lb limbs but I had it set at 68lbs in the videos. Draw length is 28Ē. I measured the D-Loop, Peep, and insert prior to install and the weight of these items came out to 18.7gr. using a Dillon digital scale. The Zeus also comes with string silencers so Iím guestimating total weight on string as being around 25gr. Not counting speed nocks.

I was shooting Easton ACC 3-39 arrows with a shaft length of 26Ē, 85gr Parabolic point, and G-Nock. Total arrow weight came out to 345gr. At 70lbs I chronoíd 3 arrows and my speed was 291fps.

Now Maitland rates the Zeus at 313 IBO but doing the calculations mines coming out a little faster when taking in to account draw length, arrow weight, and weight on the string.

I measured the brace height at 7Ē, and the ATA at 37Ē.

Now that Iíve gotten the specs out of the way, here are some of my personal observations of the bow.

The bow is very quiet as it comes from Maitland. It sounds a lot louder in the video then when youíre up next to it. Part of this is the rest Iím using as it makes a lot of noise. This is going to be my 3-D only bow so Iím not concerned about the noise made from the rest.

The bow is vibration free and dead in the hand and the grip is very comfortable and repeatable.

Thus far this has been the easiest bow for me to hold on target. Itís a bit heavier then some but it is very well balanced and very comfortable to shoot for long sessions. I ended up removing 2 of the 3 Dawg weights from the Doinker stabilizer as the bow is well balanced without the extra weight.

The draw cycle on this bow is as smooth as can be and although I considered the speed cams that Maitland has planned for 2011, the feel of the 2010 cams were perfect for the intended use I have planned for them. I can shoot this bow for hours at 70lbs without getting fatigued. And at a modest 313 IBO thereís not much you canít hunt with at that speed and itís still fast enough to assist with errors in judging distances.

The wall on the bow is very solid and easy to hold against with little to no flex. The valley is very nice, Iíd even say the best Iíve felt on any bow. Itís not so short that you feel the bow will rip your arm off if you come forward just a touch, and itís not so long that you can cheat yourself and relax right before the shot. Maitland has found the perfect feel for the valley.

As we all know most bows can shoot arrows in to the same hole when not influenced by human hands or the environment. What I find makes one bow more accurate over the other is the ability to hold it steady on target. This one has that attribute. Iíve now had a chance to put several arrows through this bow at 20 yards and Iíve become pretty consistent at being able to get my arrows to touch or break a thumb tack at that distance. For this being my first day with it past 20 yards I was very impressed and expect my groups to improve at distance with some more practice

So to sum it up I will say that Maitland is a first rate company with a great owner and I envision a long and prosperous future for his company.

Please stay tuned for my review of the Maitland Retribution I have on order.

The videos: Please forgive the quality of video as I was using my camera and it has lousy video quality with an annoying clicking sound when it focuses. I couldnít do anything about the ugly bad actor either, I tried to get Tom Cruise to play me but his hourly rate is more then I make all year.

Very nice
    SH Archery & Custom Bow Tuning
    Dealer for Bowtech, Elite, Bear, and PSE
    2014 Bowtech RPM

Nice+1

Got the first one watched. Awesome group Dave !!!

Got the popcorn popping and the beverages chilling. My "To Do" list is on hold for the day.

Awesome review also. Every word was Spot On !!
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler
    Viper Sights, NAP Rests, Easton & Beman Shafts, Limbsavers, Tru-Ball.

mirrors what i feel about my zeus
    SH Archery - PM Scottie/PA here on Archerytalk
    Bowtech Archery Dealer-----Stryker Xbow Dealer
    PSE Pro Series/Mainline Dealer
    60X Custom Strings, Vortex Optics, QAD, NAP and more---Call anytime 724-487-4974
    Supra Max, Full Throttle, WTB 29/50 Full throttle if anyone is looking to sell PM me

Looks like a very nice bow, I will have a look at the 2011 models with the speed mods. Thanks for taking the time to put up the videos.

I only wish I had done the video's to a higher quality. I need to pull my video equipment out of storage although I don't know how much better it would be. Seems all the video equipment doesn't work to well with the newer programs. I guess thats how they make money. Still I'll see what I can do when I get my Ret.

Thanks for the comments.

Sigsauerp229.....Great review on an awesome bow. Thankyou for sharing this with us
    Maitland Zeus Matte Black (50 - 60lbs)set 55lbs @ 28" DL.
    Doinker Dish 12" Black Stabilizer. Magnum 300 Black Custom Wrist Sling. Sure Loc QC1 Sight Black (4 pin).
    Limb Driver Split Limb drop away rest. Short & Sweet S1 Release.

Would like to know how the Ret. compares with the bunch of bows in your sig.

Nice review, they are definitely a pleasant surprise when you get one in your hands.
    SCORPYD VENTILATOR 125 >>---->Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50mm, 22" Black Eagle Executioners 432gr., 351fps., 118lbs. KE
    Black Eagle Arrows >>------> Pro Staff

Can't wait to get home to watch all of these.

Very nice bows. I would like to have one to play with.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Quote Originally Posted by sagecreek View Post
    Can't wait to get home to watch all of these.

Very nice bows. I would like to have one to play with.
    Sage, shooting arrows through them is like eating potato chips, you just can't stop at one.

FF
    SCORPYD VENTILATOR 125 >>---->Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50mm, 22" Black Eagle Executioners 432gr., 351fps., 118lbs. KE
    Black Eagle Arrows >>------> Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by FallFever View Post
    Sage, shooting arrows through them is like eating potato chips, you just can't stop at one.

FF
    Man aint that the truth!!!

SIG...Awesome review and thank you for taking the time to put these videos together for everyone to enjoy!
    Drape's Archery...The Best Archery Shop In Western NY!

Great review buddy, cant waite to get togethor one day to shoot when we both are not busy. Cant waite to see the new bow, and finally meet you.

Thanks alot for taking the time to make these videos for us. I am very intrested in the Maitland bows one day when I get back on my feet!

Well done review. I'm looking forward to receiving my Retribution in time to compete on Camp Lejeune. Rob has designed a very nice "shooter".
    "Good Judgement comes from Wisdom, Wisdom comes from bad Judgement"

OK, I want a Zeus, camo w/black limbs, 60# 30" and a blue one for my target setup.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

I wish I wouldn't have peeked at this thread.

I wanted a Zeus before; now I am salivating like Pavlov's dog over the darn thing!
    My enemy is made of foam and mocks me.
    Bow in hand, I stalk my enemy with extreme prejudice and inexorable resolve.
    Ego vadum vindicatum victoria super meus hostilis.

Quote Originally Posted by sagecreek View Post
    OK, I want a Zeus, camo w/black limbs, 60# 30" and a blue one for my target setup.
    Get in line buddy and wait like the rest of us
    SH Archery - PM Scottie/PA here on Archerytalk
    Bowtech Archery Dealer-----Stryker Xbow Dealer
    PSE Pro Series/Mainline Dealer
    60X Custom Strings, Vortex Optics, QAD, NAP and more---Call anytime 724-487-4974
    Supra Max, Full Throttle, WTB 29/50 Full throttle if anyone is looking to sell PM me

Thanks for the positive comments. It was my pleasure doing the review of this bow. Being a new company I felt this bow deserved some attention for all of it's great attributes.

Elk4me, sorry we haven't been able to get together lately, will set something up soon.

Belicoso, that's a lot of bows to compare against but here's a short comparison. It is more silent then all of them with the exception of the Strothers, which I would say it is about even with. The draw cycle is as smooth as the Strother but not as stiff. It is the easiest bow that I have to pull back maxed out. Maybe about even with the Inspire but I can't honestly compare those two yet since I just set up the Inspire and have maybe 10 arrows through it. The Zeus is the heaviest but it's the longest ATA and the the fact that it is so steady, I feel is due to it's well balanced weight. The Riser is also thicker and longer then others offering a lack in flex through out the bow. The Monster is about even in weight but the Zeus is balanced better. The Zeus is actually one of the best balanced in the bunch.

Holding this one on target for a long period of time is easy and it helps in the wind as I think you can tell from the videos, the bow was not moving much. If you watch my shirt in some of the further distances you can tell it is getting pretty windy.

If I had to drop all the bows I have by half the Zeus would stay and just from my little time with Maitland's Retribution I'd have to say it would be on that list as well. The other one that would stay is my Infnity and then I would have to think about the 4th. I can easily put the Maitlands on that list though, so I think that says a lot. Bare in mind that I've also gone through most of the 2010 bows (no longer in my sig) and the Maitlands just work very well for me compared to a lot of these other bows.

I'm not saying it's the best bow company out there. I'm not a fanboy of any company, honestly I love them all. I've had PSE's, Hoyt's, and several others and they are all great but I can't own them all so I keep and shoot the one's that fit my needs and that just feel comfortable to me.

By doing this review I just want to let others have a chance to try out this great new company as you might find it fits you as well as it does me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
    Great review buddy, cant waite to get togethor one day to shoot when we both are not busy. Cant waite to see the new bow, and finally meet you.

Thanks alot for taking the time to make these videos for us. I am very intrested in the Maitland bows one day when I get back on my feet!
    Seems I have a meet-n-greet with a couple of ya.
    Stable full of Hoyt Bows... Home of the White Alpha Triad !! (Alpha Elite, AlphaBurner, Alphamax 35)
    Spot On Bowstrings, Fuse Carbon Blades, Doinker Stabilizers (Doink On), Axcel Sights, AAE, Scott, Bow Rattler

Quote Originally Posted by Hoythunter01 View Post
    Seems I have a meet-n-greet with a couple of ya.
    Got a 3-D shoot coming up next month. I know what I'm bringing.

Thanks

I can't wait, but have to for now!!! Come the new year it's ON!!!
    2010 Black Ops Sentinel FLX (Baldy's Strings and tune)
    2014 Black Ops Bowtech RPM 360

good review, cannot go wrong with the zeus.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 34
    Axis Traditional arrows
    2010 Maitland Zeus

Quote Originally Posted by SIGSAUERP229 View Post
    Got a 3-D shoot coming up next month. I know what I'm bringing.
    Keep me posted on the date and time of this shoot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast