Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many pounds to kill a deer

how many pounds to kill a deer

shot some friends bows when i was younger. aparently they were recurve
    can a recurve shoot good enough to kill a deer?

not to be rude or anything but i would search around next time and read a LOT before posting. you will learn a lot of the basics just by reading old threads. this will also keep you from re posting things that have been driven into the ground. it will also help you to get the feel of AT and the general direction that it is moving to.

if you are looking to shoot recurve then you might want to go to the traditional section of AT

Cossak shot some friends bows when i was younger. aparently they were recurve
    can a recurve shoot good enough to kill a deer?
    what do you mean by good enough to kill a deer? a 45-50# recurve with the right weight arrows is plenty to completly pass through a deer. are you asking if they are accurate? recurves are what everyone shot before there were compound bows, and stick bows before that.

thanks, i ask because i don't know any better and don't know anyone to ask.
    did'nt know about the search, don't look like a very freindly place so far.

sorry my typings not so good. the other forum seems nicer did.nt realize
    it was the same site.

Cossak, don't judge all of AT by the reply you recieved above. He must have missed his meds today. Most folks on here are friendly and will be glad to share their knowledge with you. I shoot a compound and don't know much about tradional bows. In Texas, you have to shoot at least 40 lbs to hunt deer. I have read of people killing deer with 33 lbs. I think most states probably have a minimum on draw weight and if you did a search on your states Parks and Wildlife home page you could most likely find that info. Or just post what state you will hunt in and someone from that state will let you know. Good luck and don't give up on AT

Mark

Here in Vt the min. is 40lbs. With the smaller poundgage you should shoot a fixed blade broudhead. We all learn by asking questions.

I harvested my buck this year with a 43# recurve and still had a heart and lung pass-through. Well tuned arrows and shot placement are the key to killing penetration.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cossak
    sorry my typings not so good. the other forum seems nicer did.nt realize
    it was the same site.
    Dude this place is very friendly,you'll want to stop your subscriptions to your hunting magazines after you start reading some of these threads,and all the people on here are more than willing to lend some knowledge your way.You got questions this is the place to get them answered!!! Just look out for BillyRay!!!! lol - just kidding!!!

Kudu taken with a 33# Jennings Compound Bow

Here is a 625# Kudu Bull taken by DR DEAN in South Africa Ii was the PH Bull ran 71 yards

She used a 333 Jennings an 1818 24SRTX alum arrow @ 450 grains & a MODOC warrior 2 blade BH

10 yard shot Arrow send in behind last rib, wet thru guts. Diaphragm. liver. lungs and stick in his heart . 33# Bow

It the arrow that does the killing, not the bow

Welcome

17,000 great guys and 3 jerks post here

TINK
    Attached Images Attached Images

i apologize for seeming like an a-hole earlier i didnt mean to come off that way . i was just trying to tell you before you said something andsomeone really did jump on your case about it.

90% of the people on AT are great people and more knowlegeable about archery than you would probably like to know(at this point anyway ).

welcom to AT. i hope the rest of your experience here is better than that that you got from my previous post.

once again, my sincere apologies to you for comming off the way i did.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchance
    i apologize for seeming like an a-hole earlier i didnt mean to come off that way . i was just trying to tell you before you said something andsomeone really did jump on your case about it.

90% of the people on AT are great people and more knowlegeable about archery than you would probably like to know(at this point anyway ).

welcom to AT. i hope the rest of your experience here is better than that that you got from my previous post.

once again, my sincere apologies to you for comming off the way i did.

Ahaaaa we"ll give you a second chance-2ndchance.

Welcome to AT&T & hope I'm not 4th jerk.

Yea with a name like "2ndchance", clever move to get away with it

a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

Its not necessarily the draw weight of your bow that will determine if you can make a good pass through on a deer even though it is a variable in the equation. It takes only about 40 pounds of Kinetic Energy to make a pass through on an average size deer. Heres the equation. Arrow weight in grains X Arrow velocity X Arrow velocity / 450,800. So if your shooting a 400 grain arrow at 225 fps. then your KE will be 44.9. So alll you need to do is really check your arrow speed with a determined arrow weight, irregardless of your draw weight. Hope this helps.

Are you going bit overboard here?

I think you need about 20# of KE for pass thru

Back in the recurve days a 45# Bear Grizzly recurve with a 2016 arrow and a Bear Razorhead at 28" had 29# of KE

Fred bear & other said 45# bows( 29#of KE) would cleanly kill all North American Game. for 40 years most men hunted with 45 to 55# bows for deer elk moose bear hogs etc

Most women cannot produce 40# of KE
    South Africa has 25# of KE required to take the smaller bucks IE Blesbuck Impala etc.

Where did you get 40# of to kill a deer? Please direct me to that info OK?

Thanks

Hump

Did you feel you 43# bow was inadequate?

Thanks TINK

Warthog taken with 38# Jennings Micro Carbon Extreme Bow I arrow Kill Arrow hit 7th rib Hunter Donna Rae Dean of VA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lbs

I saw a woman on a hunting show the other day take a speed goat with a 40# Mathews Black Max. She got a complete pass thru and it piled up about 75 yards away. I do know that here in Ohio the minimum allowed draw weight is 40#. I imagine that it varies state to state. I would use a fixed blade when shooting that weight though. If you could get a light enough arrow to get speed, and were still able to maintain a good amount of kinetic energy I suppose you could use a mechanical if you'd rather. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Africanbowhunter
    Did you feel you 43# bow was inadequate?

Thanks TINK
    What? are you kidding me? I am now adequately enjoying the fine venison from my 43#'er. But I did say it is a Black Widow, didn't I?

I killed my first deer (in 1949) using a 45 lb. Lemon Wood Long Bow of unknow manufacture. The Cedar arrow pasted comletely through the deer and the deer went about 40 yards.

Most states require a minimum draw weight usually 40-45 lbs.

Hope this help.

Welcome to the site!!!! If you can muster 50# you can kill many thing in north america . W/ low poundage bows shot placement and sharpe 2 blade fixed broadheads are a must.

P.s. Dont body shoot a turkey with a small broad head

"SDS" Short draw Syndrome and penetration

Hey all
    I suffer from "SDS" which makes it hard to get a lot of kenetic energy. I have had some shots that, that I feel, should have passed through and didn't so penetration is a major concern of mine.
    Anyway, Guys have killed animals throughout history with recurves and longbows so I say, get after it.
    My suggestion is
    1. Choose your shots well. "Close Kill Zone" shots.
    2. Use 2 blade cut on impact broadheads for the most penetration.
    3. Though slower, use heavier arrows for better kenetic energy.

A buddy of mine shot a doe in the shoulder from a stand. He said the doe walked about 40 yards away and started licking the arrow and ended up pulling the arrow out with its mouth, then licked a little more , then, started eating again. Wierd huh...

The info I've read about KE and the fact that it takes about 40 lbs. for a pass thru on whitetail has come from several sources including articles by Charles Alsheimer, Chuck Adams, and Roger Briski. All notable pro bow hunters. Grant it you probably can get a pass through with 20 lbs KE but only if you hit an area with no bone, or ribs and just soft flesh. When I was hunting with my first bow, a fiberglass Martin Warthog, boy am I dating myself, I was shooting 180 fps with 375 grain arrows for about 27 lbs KE. If I were to hit any ribs, shoulder or other bone my arrow would stop halfway or 3/4 of the way in. This would be with brand new out of the box Thunderheads or Muzzy's. So its possible that the 40 lb. KE is the common figure used to componsate for those not so perfect shots, but then again how many of us out there can humanely kill a deer without hitting anything but flesh, especially when the vitals are protected by shoulder, and ribs. Just ask the 170 lb, nice 6 point I hit 12 years ago in the U.P. who lived his final years probably with half an Easton aluminum shaft in his shoulder.

you know, it's posts like that last one that make hesitant to shoot a deer with a bow. I Just got into hunting, right now I shoot a muzzleloader, have had no deer go more than 10 yards before falling dead. So I have a question for all of you. How often do you not get clean kills with a bow? I don't have a problem with hunting with a bow, I just want to be assured that the animal doesn't suffer unduly before I fire a shot.
    Thanks,
    Mr. Z

Lady kills 13 big animals

Hey again,
    While it is preferrable to get a passthrough for many reasons. A lady from the proshop here killed 13 animals in africa. Im not positive on her specs but I do know that most were NOT passthroughs. She, again, chooses her shots well and with 1/2 her arrow in the vitals when they run just slices them up inside. The farthest one of them ran was 100 yards.
    Just thought I'd pass this on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast