View Poll Results: Hands Down Best State To Manage And Harvset A Mature Whitetail Deer?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ohio

18 14.75%
  • Iowa

52 42.62%
  • Wisconsin

10 8.20%
  • Minnesota

3 2.46%
  • Illinois

12 9.84%
  • Kansas

14 11.48%
  • Oklahoma

0 0%
  • Kentucky

4 3.28%
  • Nebraska

0 0%
  • Other- Explain

9 7.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is The Best State To Mangage And Harvest Mature Whitetail Deer?

What Is The Best State To Mangage And Harvest Mature Whitetail Deer?

I hear in all these different magazines on how such and such is the state you have to be at this year. Or this state produces the best whitetail deer. This state has the biggest bucks. It runs through my mind. The ones that I hear he most are Ohio, Kansas, Iowa and Illinois. What do you guys think is hands down the best state to manage and harvest a mature, big whitetail buck?

Iowa because of the huge tracts of rural land with prime food sources and water.
    Ohio is a very close second.

I've never hunted outside of Ohio so I may be bias...I would like to hear from the people that have hunted a lot of the states listed

ttt.
    I want some people's opinion!

ttt.
    Will be back 8th period!

Kansas or Iowa. Your question was manage AND harvest. Ohio is awesome and I truly love Ross and Pickaway county but it can be difficult to pattern the open farm country deer and get within bow range and if you gun hunt its muzzleloader/shotgun only and after the rut. Kansas and Iowa are more harvest friendly. I have hunted all over the east coast and west to western Nebraska and being from N.C. ALL of the ones listed are awesome to hunt for me.

Wish I knew....but I can say NOT Virginia
    BowFreakZ Archery
    Sticking it to them one shaft at a time!!!
    Check us out on the web!!!
    NRA - VCDL - GOA - SAF

Haha, I gotta say for Indiana to not be included in this poll is quite interesting. If bucks are properly managed in Indiana it competes with the big boys. We just don't get any respect...Buckmasters magazine had Indiana ranked 4th in the nation for the buckmasters record books.
    Bear Archery Carnage
    Easton ST Epic
    Apex Gear Bone Collector
    Trophy Ridge Revolution
    Smoke Ramcat

Kansas

kansas... you are limited to only 1 buck tag per year.. lots of 3 year olds left to walk that would be shot in a 2 or 3 buck state.
    Eating tasty animals since 1966

kansas... you are limited to only 1 buck tag per year.. lots of 3 year olds left to walk that would be shot in a 2 or 3 buck state.
    same in ohio, ohio has, no rifles, corn and beans everywhere, and a short firearm season
    Horton Summit
    PSE Bow Madness MP
    Remington 870

KS, IA, North MO, ILL
    "Git 'er Done!" - LTCG

ttt

I think it's safe to say NOT NEW YORK!

I don't think you can pick a state, because if you are able to manage your herd (keep the buck/doe ratio intact, make sure there is adequate nutrition, food and water) You should be able to manage and harvest a great deer. That being said it's near impossible to manage deer on public land, but the states you listed all produce great public land bucks due to the fact that they have great nutrition for the deer. So put yourself in the right place at the right time and you'll have success. Just my 2 cents.

Missouri is a for sureNO!!
    Huntin' Rig G5 Prime Centroid 65# 28"draw, QAD Dropaway, HHA 1 Pin Sight GoldTip Velocity with Slick Tricks.
    The differnce between having a buck at bow, and rifle range, is the differnce between seeing and touching a woman!
    HUNTING SEASON IS HERE!!

Honestly, any Midwestern State would qualify and they are all very close. I live in IL so I do have some experience here and I've also hunted Northern MO. I can tell you Northern Missouri takes a backseat to no one as far as size AND numbers of trophy deer. I bet Iowa is outstanding and I would love to hunt there someday! Kansas would be sweet as well!

In my Parish in Louisiana there have been several thousand acres put into CRP and WRP. There are 15,000 acres around my property that are 90% enrolled. This is going to be a VERY good tract of land in 5 more years when the cover gets thick and trees get established. most of the acres here are 10-15 feet tall and producing acorns where there are sawtooths. Everyone around is being selective on which bucks to harvest, and everyone is shooting bucks no younger than 3.5 years. This is just a small area of the state, but it is well on its way to being a very very good pocket of deer hunting in Louisiana, AKA: Sportsman's Paradise

Iowa! But id love to have land in Ohio or Kansas as well maybe even somewhere in Canada.
    Waiting on an Iowa giant

06 APA suphan

ttt

canada

i'd have to say canada

I would be willing to test these theories if anyone wants to donate a tree to hang my stand in "Inquiring minds want to know"
    Sling what ya bring........

Wonder why Missouri is not on the list? lol

ttt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast