a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Jennings carbon extreme bow questions

Jennings carbon extreme bow questions

Greetings to all,
    I am brand new to this and have no idea what im doing, i bought a bow at a local pawn shop, it is a jennings carbon extreme (only gave 65 dollars was this too much?) and i do belive the draw length on it is too long, if i draw it back and look through the peep sight i can see all 3 of my pins and most of the sight. how do i make this shorter?

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Does it sound like this
    Length (Axle to Axle): 40"
    Speed: IBO: 288 fps AMO: 230 fps
    Brace Height: 8" Let-Off: 65%
    Mass Weight: 4 lbs 14 oz.

Rather heavy and long, used to be somwhat popular, Just seen one for sale for 150 bucks so if you got yours setup thats not to bad, check out the strings and cables before to much shooting they may need replaced though. Im not sure how to adjust the draw but someone will be along to help ya out with that

The draw is only changed with modules for the cams. To find them though, you'll have to find a pro shop that has been around a while that has bear/jennings parts. There is nothing wrong with the bow...>It was a leader in it's day. For a starter bow you did fine. The bow came in only two limb wt sizes.....either 50-65lbs...and 65-80lbs. If all the writing is still on the bottom limb sticker label...it will tell you the draw it was started with and the weight of the limbs max.
    In God we Trust all others pay CASH

I message from my phone...so posts are short and sweet . No need for grammar , figure it out man.

i actually was able to remove the string using a ratchet strap as a sort of rigged up bow press, and it measured what it is supposed to according to the sticker on the bow. I am fairly good at picking things up and understanding the technical stuff just have no idea where to start. what do i look for to see if the cables are in good shape? they are not frayed and the black insulation stuff is not broken or anything. do i need to take it to an archery shop to make sure its safe to shoot?

I've shot probably as many arrows as anyone out of a Carbon Extreme. Actually a dozen (bows,not arrows!!) or so of them over the years. Not saying it CANT happen, but I never had an issue with cables. I,d go with a good visual inspection, specifically where the cable bends sharply around the module. Put a new string on it and enjoy! You can also put metal nocks on the cables to act as a draw stop, do some searching on the new Mathews Triumph and you will see how it's done. They are placed so they contact the cable slide. Many people think because the bow has a few years on it , it is OUTDATED!! Look at the specs of most of todays bows designed for top accuracy and you will find dimensions almost identical to this. It's a great bow, maybe a little finicky to tune usually in the grip. The first thing we used to do was take off that rubber grip and throw it away, thins up the grip for less torque. The WALL or lack thereof , probably its worst trait. I believe 29" was the shortest module available. Also check all the screws in the cams and make sure they are tight. Mark limb bolts, they are bad to back out!

Quote Originally Posted by wagonryda View Post
    Greetings to all,
    I am brand new to this and have no idea what im doing, i bought a bow at a local pawn shop, it is a jennings carbon extreme (only gave 65 dollars was this too much?) and i do belive the draw length on it is too long, if i draw it back and look through the peep sight i can see all 3 of my pins and most of the sight. how do i make this shorter?
    Find out what draw length you need and give Bradleyp here on AT a PM, I just got a module for a Jennings bow I needed he may have just what you need, he has a ton of mods for different bows.
    CREED PSE DNA E35 HHA QAD rests CARTER Roost Raiders winners of the 2009 Turkey contest
    Life Endowment Member NRA 32nd Degree Mason
    Tom Takers Winners of the 2011 AT Turkey Contest, 2014 Undeertakers

I have a jennings carbon extreme also as my first bow. My accessories are all outdated but the bow shoots great. I have the same issue with my modules. Check the modules and there will be a number on one of them. I have an E2. I contacted Midwest Cimmarron Archery. 815-678-7371. They carry modules for them. They are very helpful and knowledgeable with the bow. Call them hopefully this will help you.

The draw length modules range from E1=32" through E6=27" in one inch increments and are held to each cam by two hex head screws. The draw length can also be adjusted by changing the slot the steel cables are in. Furthermore, the screw and nut assembly which secures the string to the cam can be installed in either of two holes on each cam. The spec sheet I have lists axle to axle as 40" and AMO bowstring as 58 1/2" Fast Flight. As someone has noted, the limb bolts tend to back out from vibration and putting blue loctite on them works well. I also had to put red loctite (very carefully) on the inserts the limb bolts screw into in the riser as they started to back out. Tuning was initially a little frustrating until I found the arrow was moving down the string on release and used string nocks both above and below the arrow nock. Do not use petroleum based grease on the axles as the bushings in the cams are Delrin and will swell if exposed to petroleum products, then the cams and axles turn as one and wear out the holes in the limbs rather quickly. The limb rockers are cast metal and white lithium grease works at that location. The limb rockers are held to the limb by cast integral pins. I have seen a broken pin at this location which compromises the limb alignment. There should be pads between the limb rockers and the limbs to eliminate noise. Norb Mullaney tested the Jennings Carbon Extreme and published results in the April 1991 issue of "Bowhunting World." Rated velocity was 232.10 f.p.s. with a 540 grain arrow at 30" draw length and 60# draw weight. Hope this helps. Good luck.