Thread: PSE's 2011 catalog cover photo

PSE's 2011 catalog cover photo

On the cover of PSE's new 2011 catalog, am I the only one that thinks that in the picture of the bow at full draw with the arrow, the arrow is cut at least 2" too long?

It's late or early and I am looking at the PSE catalog cover when it hit's me, that shaft is cut ridiculessly long for that bow. I would never cut that shaft that length. So what do you think?

http://www.pse-archery.com/09_line.php

I posted this in the tuning section because the question is about appropriate arrow length for the bow. If someone wants to move this thread to another spot, no problem by me.

Rick

Depends on what the user likes. I have mine cut to the middle of the riser. Some like theirs to stick out in front of the riser so they don't have to worry about gloves or whatever getting in the way of the broadhead. Personal preference I must say. And really, who is gonna be looking at the arrow? its the bow they are releasing after-all. I never once looked at the arrow.
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 25.5" 62#
    NAP Apache HHA OL5519
    CX Maxima 250 G5 Montec 100gr
    324 Grain Arrow 298 fps 64 ft-lbs KE

I don't think they were too concerned with the cut length.I think it's for showing off the products.If it were a actual hunter holding the bow back then yes, I would agree with you 100%.

I cut my arrow length to whatever spines correctly for my bow. If that is full length then so be it.....
    Owner of Pathfinder Arrow Wraps
    Athens Archery Factory Shooting Staff

Check out a video of the pros at vegas their arrows sometimes stick out 6" past the front of thi riser.

Looks about right for a fixed blade broadhead.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I cut my arrow length to whatever spines correctly for my bow. If that is full length then so be it.....
    Ditto! Some people cut there arrows to what they want them to be instead of what the bow needs them to be to shoot/group/BH tune to the best of its ability and then they wonder why they can only group 4" at 20yds instead of busting nocks

Quote Originally Posted by Clay34 View Post
    On the cover of PSE's new 2011 catalog, am I the only one that thinks that in the picture of the bow at full draw with the arrow, the arrow is cut at least 2" too long?

It's late or early and I am looking at the PSE catalog cover when it hit's me, that shaft is cut ridiculessly long for that bow. I would never cut that shaft that length. So what do you think?

http://www.pse-archery.com/09_line.php

I posted this in the tuning section because the question is about appropriate arrow length for the bow. If someone wants to move this thread to another spot, no problem by me.

Rick
    WHAT! who cares... its a catalog pic...

I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with the ever present "liability" issue. If they showed the arrow head inside the riser shelf, some idiot would sue them if they cut their hand stating they were going by the "brochure pictures"... Nothing goes out anymore without going thru the legal dept.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Wish more people understood this, don't know how many people go against my recommendation only to come back later asking "why don't my arrow fly good".

So everyone on this board cuts their arrows 4" longer than they need to be? None of you guys think that you can get a properly spined arrow cut to the length of the front of the rest plus at least 1" for broadhead clearance on a hunting bow?

Now, I was looking at the PSE catalog because I think that they make great products. I believe the bow on the front cover is a hunting bow, thus the camo limbs. I also think that if you do a good job of figuring out your ADJUSTED BOW DRAW WEIGHT, which takes into account measured draw peak weight, cam type, total weight of the head w/ insert, arrow length, type of release and IBO SPEED of the bow; that you can get a properly spined hunting arrow at a specific length.

Yes, if you have an stiff spine you can tame it down by making the arrows longer to match your set up, but why not buy the properly spined shafts at your required or targeted length?

That shaft is still too long for this guy on a hunting bow.

Rick

You can if you want, but many people just think they do when they don't when it comes to correct arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by rwells View Post
    You can if you want, but many people just think they do when they don't when it comes to correct arrow.
    Please explain how you select the proper shaft for a particular archer's set up. Please be specific. I'll even give an example. Since we were looking at the cover of the PSE 2011 catalog, let's select an arrow for someone shooting an Omen at 70 pounds with a 100 grain tip in a normal 11/12 grain insert, with a release aid, at a 29" draw length. For this example the shooter is shooting a Whisker bisket for hunting. You can pick the arrow manufacturer, but please let us in on how you would go about selecting the shaft for this client of yours. Thanks for the good exchange, I look forward to learning something.

Rick

@Clay34
    You didn't specify whether it is a heavy arrow for big game or a light one like Fatboy for 3-D contest
    The arrow has to flight straight to the target. There are a plenty of tests for checking this. The process of selecting components for a perfect arrow setup is a long one and personally i don't believe that regular sellers care about it (at least not in my country). For most of the shooters it is enough when the setup is more or less accurate. On the other hand those who care surely know what components they are looking for.

I have heard about FITA shooters (top ones) with the 5" distance between the tip and the arrow rest.

This set up is for a hunting bow. Just like the bow on the cover of the PSE catalog. This thread has always been about hunting bows and setting up the proper shaft for them.

i dont buy different arrows to get them to spine out at a targeted length. i have a certain brand of arrow that i always get and if they need to be 4" in front of the riser then so be it, if they are 1/64th" from the rest then so be it. With my hunting bow(M6) my "hunting" arrows(Victory VAPs) just happen to spine out so that they are about 1/2" behind the front of the riser. too many people worry about length and forget all about spine.
    Mathews MR7
    Mathews Triumph
    Mathews Helim
    Dead Center Archery Products,Whalens Release Aids

Quote Originally Posted by Clay34 View Post
    This set up is for a hunting bow. Just like the bow on the cover of the PSE catalog. This thread has always been about hunting bows and setting up the proper shaft for them.
    Don't get nervous.
    On a big game hunt it is better to shoot a heavy and thin arrows (like axis full metal jacket 12gpi). The advantage of a heavier arrow is a bigger penetration of the target, more silent release, etc. Of course fletching size depends of the BH type (expandable vs fixed).

Same hunter bows are used in a 3-D tournaments for shooting foam animal targets. The difference is that the range finders are forbidden. So shooters will choose a light arrow with a bigger diameter to have an advantage of getting a liner.

The thing is that it all depends on the purpose of the arrow. I've just given two examples, but there are more - bowfishing, small game, etc.

@LtlRushnArchr30
    I also don't keep all different kind of shafts. It is a better idea to change the FT or BH for a different one (85gn/100gn/125gn/150gn). It gives a plenty of options.

Quote Originally Posted by tsilvers View Post
    WHAT! who cares... its a catalog pic...

Exactly! jeees!
    2010 PSE Vendetta XL, Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2012 PSE Dominator 3D Doinker,CBE,Easton
    2014 PSE Supra Max, Doinker,CBE,Goldtip Arrows.