Thread: Missouri - baiting question

Missouri - baiting question

Hey Show Me State- can anyone clarify this for me. Buddy just bought a feeder and wanted to put it out so we checked online regulations.

- Use of bait while hunting—which includes grain or other feed placed or scattered so as to attract deer —is illegal.
    - An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait.

So hunting over bait or a baited area (10 day rule) is illegal but what is the definition of "Area"? Many states give a distance but I may have missed it. Anyone know? Now I'm worried if the neighbor has grain or a feeder across the property line it could still be considered the baited "Area"

Thanks!
    Mathew's REEZEN 65lbs 28"
    Trophy Ridge Matrix sight

I've often wondered the same thing. Their rules are so sketchy and bendable. I'd call the local game warden and see what they said. Then let the rest of us know.
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 25.5" 62#
    NAP Apache HHA OL5519
    CX Maxima 250 G5 Montec 100gr
    324 Grain Arrow 298 fps 64 ft-lbs KE

Funny you asked that...I have wondered the same thing for years. Sorry I do not have an answer for you.

bait cannot be within 200yds or visible sight.
    Rookie DIY Elkin 2014!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mofarmboy View Post
    bait cannot be within 200yds or visible sight.
    Was the yardage in the regulation guide, or was that from a conservation agent?
    THANKS!

i asked a game warden and he told me if the land u are hunting on....is baited then you cannot hunt that property at all for 10 days after the feed/bait is gone. The ONLY THING you can hunt over is MINERAL ONLY!!!! not even the "rutn' apples" so...best thing i've used in over 15 years of hunting is good ol' DEER CANE!~
    2014 Mathews Creed XS

Quote Originally Posted by ExitWound View Post
    Was the yardage in the regulation guide, or was that from a conservation agent?
    THANKS!
    this was in one of the reg. books........basically it lets people still supplement feed during hunting season without it being considered baiting......as if the deer here in mo. need anymore food enough acorns for 2 winters have dropped already!!!
    Rookie DIY Elkin 2014!!!!

so during gun season....guys can sit at 201 yards away from a corn feeder....there's no way...I'll have to call for a 2nd opinion. My neighbor got a ticket for having acorn rage at one end of his farm when he was hunting the other end...of 600 acres....They took a chopper over the farm and watched for guys going in to hunt that farm..I'll see if I can contact MDC this week
    2014 Mathews Creed XS

I'm not saying mofarmboy is wrong, but I read the regs every year and I do not recall ever seeing a 200 yard reg. It is my understanding... that legally an agent could write you a ticket no matter how far away you are if he felt those deer were using the bait and you were hunting a trail going to that bait. I know it sounds ridiculous and I agree. I think that is just one of those laws that needs revised. Also, you can be fined for someone elses bait here in Missouri. I would call, an agent before hand if I were you. Good Luck this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bownrut09 View Post
    so during gun season....guys can sit at 201 yards away from a corn feeder....there's no way...I'll have to call for a 2nd opinion.
    I would have to call for a second opinion as well. A 201 yard shot with a rifle isnt hard to make.
    Omen Pro 28/70, Victory, Magnus
    X Force Dream season 28/70, HTA, Magnus
    Lots Of Dead Deer

I am thinking that the 200 yard reg or visible sight is on another person's property ajoining your hunting area... not 100% however but seems like I had heard that before... from they way I read it you have bait on your land then you have to wait 10 days before going on the hunt... but I am not hunting a 2500 acre farm so my 45 and 20 acre plots of land are empty of bait...
    Diamond Black Ice///G5 Optix XR///NAP Apache Rest///Gold Tip Hunter XT 5575///Tru-Fire Hardcore release

Missouri... "Keepin it REAL" since 1998...

Proposition A - Felony to Bait or Fight Animals

Statute Details
    Printable Version
    Citation: Missouri 1998 Proposition A

Summary:
    This initiative petition passed in 1998 makes it a class D felony to bait or fight animals; permit such activities on premises under an individual's control; or promote, conduct, stage, advertise or collect fees for such activities; and makes it a class A misdemeanor to knowingly attend baiting or fighting of animals; knowingly sell, offer for sale, or transport animals for such purposes; own, possess, manufacture or deal in cockfighting implements; bear wrestle; permit bear wrestling on premises you control; promote, conduct, stage, advertise, or collect fees for bear wrestling; or market, possess, train, or surgically alter a bear for bear wrestling.

Section C. Bear wrestling-penalty.-Any person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of a class A misdemeanor:

(1) Bear wrestling;

(2) Permitting bear wrestling to be done on any premises under his charge or control;

(3) Promoting, conducting, or staging bear wrestling;

(4) Advertising bear wrestling;

(5) Collecting any admission fee for bear wrestling;

(6) Purchasing, selling, or possessing a bear which he knows will be used for bear wrestling;

(7) Training a bear for bear wrestling;

(8) Subjecting a bear to surgical alteration for bear wrestling.

Seriously though, you don't need bait, here are a couple of responses to the baiting issue in general, from a couple of MDC employee's...

"Baiting is a controversial issue, both in states that do, and do not allow it. There are a few items I think of when asked why baiting is not legal. First of all is the potential to spread disease. Deer eating from a bait pile are frequently nose to nose. Contrast that to a food plot or crop field where deer are in close proximity, but not nose to nose. While it is true that you can feed deer year round if you are not hunting them, MDC does not want to encourage the practice by allowing hunting over bait.

Another thing to consider is that a food plot provides nutrition for deer, as well as other wildlife for much of the year. Bait is generally placed in time to get deer coming in, then once the hunter is through hunting, the food goes away.

Finally, and most importantly - food is not necessarily the best attractant, especially when your neighbor has crop fields. It is often better to create cover and let the neighbor feed them. My advice would be to have your private land conservationist out to your farm and see what you can do to attract deer with what land you do have available. To find your private land conservationist, check the MDC website http://www.mdc.mo.gov or call your local NRCS office."

---------------------------------------------------------------

"We are blessed in MO that for the most part, we are not lacking food sources for whitetail deer. What is lacking over most of the state is quality cover. Food of course is necessary for survival but since it is not a limiting factor, most land managers should concentrate their efforts into managing quality habitat. Do not rule out native vegetation. Native Warm Season grasses provide many uses year round for deer. Bedding, nutrition, and thermal regulation are among the most important. Deer only spend a small percent of the day feeding on annual grains but browse often on native vegetation. By planting native grasses/forbs, shrubs, or managing your timber using Timber Stand Improvement techniques, you make your property more attractive to deer than just a pile of corn on the ground. You may also get a welcome surprise of more turkeys, quail, and rabbits on your property!
    Also do not forget to work with your neighbors. Unless you have access to manage thousands of acres, the deer you see while on the stand do not exclusively stay on your property. Deer may travel up to 1 ½ miles or more. By working with adjoining landowners, you can effectively manage more property and the deer herd you may share."

No Corn! (2) for AT.JPG

My problem with the ambiguous "area" definition is what if your neighbor has bait out and you didn't know it? You are still hunting illegally! It's understandable why the law was written, but by seems to me you could be prosecuted unfairly, which certainly wasn't the intent of the law.

I actually asked the MDC last year and they said it is up to the agent. If he thinks the feed is bringing deer by your stand then he can write a ticket.And he can write you one also just for having feed on the property.Its 100% up to the agent they told me.