Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana rut?

Indiana rut?

Here in northern Indiana with a very wet and hot summer every thing is way ahead. The farmers are way ahead on picking the crops. My ? is do you guys think the rut might also be maybe a week early or so.

Not in my experience. Weather does not affect the rut as much as most people think.

i think this year will be late rutt due too the last full moon in november...probably start chasing in late october but not peak till around thanksgiving..but that is for southern indiana, nothern may be differ but i dont think too much..

Im in Northern Indiana also, and Deer and Deerhunting Magazines rut predictions the last 2 years has been dead nuts here. The rutting moon is almost 3 weeks later this year than last, so its showing the contrary of what you said about earlier, but usually the week of n0v 4-14 here is 10 days you want to be in the woods! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mockster31 View Post
    Im in Northern Indiana also, and Deer and Deerhunting Magazines rut predictions the last 2 years has been dead nuts here. The rutting moon is almost 3 weeks later this year than last, so its showing the contrary of what you said about earlier, but usually the week of n0v 4-14 here is 10 days you want to be in the woods! Good Luck!
    No it's not! The rutting moon actually falls in October this year. And weather will play a HUGE factor in how much daytime rutting activity that you see. But the rut (seeking and breeding phases) will occur, as always, during the first two weeks of Nov.

watch out for quick flurry of big buck sightings halloween weekend then the end of the first week of nov. pick back up. Just be in stand with high temps in the 50's preferably colder. good luck

better check yours facts on the rutting moon, its when i said it was.

NO...same as usual....
    Hoyt Alphamax 35
    Muzzy BH
    Fuse Quiver

regardless of days we all can predict im going be in woods all i can from now till end of season...last yr here in southern indiana rutt slowly went by for me not alot of aggressive action as i usually see.

Checked them several times. The rutting moon is the second full moon after the autumn equinox. Check your moon calendar and get back with me........

Quote Originally Posted by buckmadness75 View Post
    regardless of days we all can predict im going be in woods all i can from now till end of season...last yr here in southern indiana rutt slowly went by for me not alot of aggressive action as i usually see.
    It was hot and the corn was standing. The majority of rut activity was happening at night and the corn was hiding a large portion of what was happening during the day.

Rut moon this year is the 23rd of October. I'd be in the woods from the 23rd of Oct. til about Nov. 15th.

Rut moon is always the second full moon after the first day of fall Dont let anyone tell you different!!

The buck in my profile pic was shot Oct 29th in 2007, the rut moon was the 26th that year.

As long as we have good cool weather this year, those days will be absolutely killer IMO.
    08' Bowtech 82nd Airborne with all the goods! 331 fps @ 29" 65# 334 grain arrow.
    GOD, FAMILY AND THE OUTDOORS!

Autumn equinox was September the 22nd. Here is the full moon calendar for this year

Thursday, 23 September 2010, 11:17:12 am
    Saturday, 23 October 2010, 03:36:30 am
    Sunday, 21 November 2010, 06:27:24 pm

As you can see, the first full moon after the autumn equinox was September the 23rd and the second one will be October the 23rd.

Rutting moon is sunday nov 21, not harvest moon,RUTTING moon, I promise. Its just a date, but kind of a reference point.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer 28 View Post
    Rut moon this year is the 23rd of October. I'd be in the woods from the 23rd of Oct. til about Nov. 15th.

Rut moon is always the second full moon after the first day of fall Dont let anyone tell you different!!

The buck in my profile pic was shot Oct 29th in 2007, the rut moon was the 26th that year.

As long as we have good cool weather this year, those days will be absolutely killer IMO.
    x2... Last week of October and the first 2 weeks of November is where its at.
    -Steve

ATHENS ACCOMPLICE 32
    55#, 25" draw, slick trick razors
    truball pro diamond extreme

not to steal ur thread Brucez, but just made 110 percent sure, autumnal equinox was sept 23, and two full moons later would be nov 21, this coincides with every hunting publication or reliable website. I know it seems late but thats what it is,nov 21

not to steal ur thread Brucez, but just made 110 percent sure, autumnal equinox was sept 23, and two full moons later would be nov 21, this coincides with every hunting publication or reliable website. I know it seems late but thats what it is,nov 21
    Equinox:
    In the language of science, an equinox is either of two points on the celestial sphere where the ecliptic and the celestial equator intersect. For the rest of us, it's one of two times a year when the Sun crosses the equator, and the day and night are of approximately equal length.

At the autumnal equinox (Sept. 22, 2010, 11:09 P.M.), the Sun appears to cross the celestial equator, from north to south; this marks the beginning of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere.

Full moons:
    Thursday, 23 September 2010, 11:17:12 am
    Saturday, 23 October 2010, 03:36:30 am
    Sunday, 21 November 2010, 06:27:24 pm

so nov 21 it is? Right? sept 23 would be harvest moon, oct 23 hunters moon, nov 21 rutting moon. No doubt about it. Read Deer and Deer hunting oct issue, beleive me, Charles Alsheimer knows when the rutting moon is.

so nov 21 it is? Right? sept 23 would be harvest moon, oct 23 hunters moon, nov 21 rutting moon. No doubt about it. Read Deer and Deer hunting oct issue, beleive me, Charles Alsheimer knows when the rutting moon is.
    The hunters moon and the "rutting moon" are the same thing. They are both defined as the second full moon after the autumn equinox or the full moon following the harvest moon. I don't need to read Deer and Deer Hunting to tell me the rut is going to happen at the same time it has for the last 24 seasons that I have been bowhunting. Charlie a sharp guy and has found a niche but the rut is still gonna happen at the same time this year as it always has it the past and that has been proven by gestation studies year in and year out.

By all means though, you guys wait until Nov. 21st. to start heading out to the woods. I will be heading to NE Indiana on Nov. 3rd and I would like nothing more than to have the woods to myself

By the way, here is a quote from the man himself defining the "rutting moon"

ASSESSING THE MOON'S IMPACT ON THE WHITETAIL RUT
    BY CHARLES J. ALSHEIMER

For the last eight years, Vermont wildlife biologist Wayne Laroche and I have been researching the influence the moon has on the timing of the whitetail rut in the North. In its ninth year, the project is expected to run for fifteen years. Why so long, you ask? There are a number of reasons, but the primary factor is the fluctuation in the timing of the rutting moon (the second full moon after the autumnal equinox).

No doubt it is the second full after the equinox, and that is nov 21, do the math. Hunters moon and rutting moon are not the same by definition, hunters moon is firts full after the equinox. Ive been in the woods since sept 15,"urban zone". Not saying when the rut wil start or end, just clearing up definitions, thats all. Check any website, and it will tell you that this years rutting moon is nov 21, try it, type in 2010 rutting moon, and see. Good luck all. And I do agree anytime after oct 24th or so you will start to see rutting activity here in northern Indiana.

No doubt it is the second full after the equinox, and that is nov 21, do the math. Hunters moon and rutting moon are not the same by definition, hunters moon is firts full after the equinox. Ive been in the woods since sept 15,"urban zone". Not saying when the rut wil start or end, just clearing up definitions, thats all. Check any website, and it will tell you that this years rutting moon is nov 21, try it, type in 2010 rutting moon, and see. Good luck all. And I do agree anytime after oct 24th or so you will start to see rutting activity here in northern Indiana.
    You should check a couple of those sites out as well. You will see that the hunters moon and the rutting moon are both defined as the full moon that follows the harvest moon and or the second full moon after the equinox. The harvest moon is the full moon following the equinox. What definition do you find for the hunters moon? If you do some research you'll see that the "rutting moon" is just a term recently defined by hunters where as the term hunters moon goes back centuries though they both refer to the same full moon.

Trees in my area are getting shredded up pretty good and all but one cornfield/bean field in my area around is gone. Just waiting on them to get that out. The bucks are really starting to single up and be with does. Last week was still seeing the bucks in groups.

Quote Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
    By all means though, you guys wait until Nov. 21st. to start heading out to the woods. I will be heading to NE Indiana on Nov. 3rd and I would like nothing more than to have the woods to myself
    ill be heading up to miami county myself that week...good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast