Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Mission Craze

  1. #1

    Mission Craze

    The new Mission lineup is out, and I like the specs on the Craze as a starter bow for my 12 year old son. Ultimately plan on him bowhunting with me in about a year, maybe less as pigs are year round here.
    Anyone who shoots the Craze, I'd like to hear your impressions of it.
    Things I'm curious about are:
    - Smoothness of draw?
    - Any big hump in the draw cycle, or a gentle transition?
    - Good valley near the end to relax and settle in?
    - How quiet/noisy is it?
    - Are the components overall still a decent quality, or did they scrimp by to get a low price?
    Thanks!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    West Central Florida
    Posts
    3,231
    should be a fine youth bow..with lots of adjustment.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    2,553
    40 pounds of weight adjustment. now thats an awesome starter bow!

  4. #4
    ttt

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Mississippi, United States
    Posts
    1,072
    If its anything like a Menace you should be just fine. It looks like a menace with a few more doo-dads

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base MO
    Posts
    274
    I just bought one for my wife and with the 70 lb limit I bought one for me as well dre a 72 pound set one at my archery shop and loved the ease and the smoothness of the bow

  7. #7
    Huntinlabs, great to hear, thanks. What do you think of the valley at the end? Large enough for a beginner to be comfortable in? And how fast does it jump out of the valley...huge fast takeoff, or a gentle transition?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, KY
    Posts
    447
    Hey Gary K... I shot the craze today. I am getting one this weekend for my fiance. This bow is Perfect for a beginner and for many years to come. The draw is not only smooth, but very smooth. Currently my fiance shoots my old drenalin, i bought her 50lb limbs, but even backed all the way out she can not get it back easily when she is wearing full gear and thermals due to the breakover being so harsh. The Craze is the exact fix she needs! There is almost no breakover and not exactly a "valley". It just feels as though it gently gets easier to draw at the end of the draw cycle. Even without an obvious breakover to the valley, the bow does not seem to want to jump at full draw which is great for beginners. The bow I shot had no stabilizer, no limbsavers, or any other type of noise/vibration supressors and yet the bow was extremely quiet and only a very slight twinge of hand shock, which will most definately be eliminated with a good stabilizer. This is a bow that will be just as affective for your son at 12 years old as it will be when he is 22 years old because it will go all the way from 20lb-70lb depending on draw length. I appologize for the lengthy post, but I hope this answers your questions!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tpentecost83 View Post
    I shot the craze today. ...
    Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks!
    Sounds like the bow for my son, will probably order one soon.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIDWEST
    Posts
    172
    I had a Mission X3 last year and loved it. Only sold it because i "needed' a new bow. It was smooth and had a real quality feel to it. The price is right, get it.
    Diamond ICEMAN Crackerized
    Spot-Hogg SDP wrapped and lighted
    Hostage Pro rest
    Octane 7" Stabilizer & Quiver
    Easton Bloodline arrows

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Elko MN
    Posts
    234
    not to get off topic.. but i shoot a eleminator 2 .. now they sell it with a roller .. for the same price. i love the elim but i might have to go shoot this to see if it would be worth trying. or wait it out for something alot better
    Mission Eliminator II , Schaffer Opposition Sight and rest , Easton axis 400's, Rocky Mtn Iron Heads

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, KY
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by ride509 View Post
    not to get off topic.. but i shoot a eleminator 2 .. now they sell it with a roller .. for the same price. i love the elim but i might have to go shoot this to see if it would be worth trying. or wait it out for something alot better
    I also am shooting the eliminatorII. IMO for the money it is the best bow on the market. I actually switched from mathews to mission because the Eliminator is so smooth. I have shot the new venture which is basically the EliminatorII with a roller guard, a string stop, and a different cam. The venture has a little hand shock, but is overall a great shooting bow. You should definately shoot one, but be sure to take your current bow with you to compare.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Muskegon, MI.
    Posts
    3,049
    The new Missions are good Mathews bows for the budget minded consumer, we have them and I have shot them. But there are much better bows for less out there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rockford, MI
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by jrip View Post
    The new Missions are good Mathews bows for the budget minded consumer, we have them and I have shot them. But there are much better bows for less out there.
    If you dont mind could you name a couple that you feel are better? I will be looking for a new bow for my son. He is about to out grow his Micro Midas and I am not ready to drop the big money for a top end bow yet. He will be 10 and he is already pulling 38 lbs comfortably.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Muskegon, MI.
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly View Post
    If you dont mind could you name a couple that you feel are better? I will be looking for a new bow for my son. He is about to out grow his Micro Midas and I am not ready to drop the big money for a top end bow yet. He will be 10 and he is already pulling 38 lbs comfortably.
    The most surprising bow I have shot thats intended for older kids is the bear Young Gun. 40-50# up to 27" draw length and very fast for a kids bow.... very fast. We sell the package for $399 and the only thing you need to add is arrows tips and a release. Look for a Bear dealer in your area and check it out.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jrip View Post
    The most surprising bow I have shot thats intended for older kids is the bear Young Gun. 40-50# up to 27" draw length and very fast for a kids bow.... very fast. We sell the package for $399 and the only thing you need to add is arrows tips and a release. Look for a Bear dealer in your area and check it out.
    So what makes that a better bow? Not being sarcastic, I really am curious. The Craze will grow up to 70# and a 30" draw, so will work into adulthood, whereas a 27" max bow will likely be outgrown by many before then. The rate my son is growing he'll be at a 27" in a year or two, easily, and he's only 12 now. Are the components of the Young Gun significantly better? Better build quality? I don't have bows nearby to look at, so have no way to tell from here.

  17. #17
    The Craze is going to be exactly that.....This bow is awesome. I set one up today and played a bit with it. The draw is great, the back wall feels good and the adjustability.......outstandin g. A grown man could take this bow hunting in Alaska after a Yukon moos, get home and his 10 year old daughter could take it out in the backyard and shoot some arrows. And everyone in between could shoot it.

    From budget minded point of view this bow is a great choice. Not to take things away from other "package" type bows but this one is awesome. The fit and finish looks great, the new camo is AWESOME! and for 269 bucks for a bare bow....great. Hats off to Mission on this bow, I think its going to be a great seller.

    OH......I will be using one for bowfishing this spring as well!! at 29 inches it will adjust from 31-70 pounds.....31 pounds and a silky smooth draw....watch out carp!!
    "Amateurs practice until they get it right.....Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Muskegon, MI.
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
    So what makes that a better bow? Not being sarcastic, I really am curious. The Craze will grow up to 70# and a 30" draw, so will work into adulthood, whereas a 27" max bow will likely be outgrown by many before then. The rate my son is growing he'll be at a 27" in a year or two, easily, and he's only 12 now. Are the components of the Young Gun significantly better? Better build quality? I don't have bows nearby to look at, so have no way to tell from here.

    Build quality, shootability, quietness, feel.... dont get me wrong the Craze is a serious bow thats very adjustable that shoots pretty darn good, but it is built really cheaply. Plastic limb pockets and stamped steel limb tip covers for the axle mounts that are only held in place by the axle and a groove in the limb? C'mon Matt we learned how to build this crap decades ago in high school shop class and did a better job of it too.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whiteman Air Force Base MO
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by tpentecost83 View Post
    Hey Gary K... I shot the craze today. I am getting one this weekend for my fiance. This bow is Perfect for a beginner and for many years to come. The draw is not only smooth, but very smooth. Currently my fiance shoots my old drenalin, i bought her 50lb limbs, but even backed all the way out she can not get it back easily when she is wearing full gear and thermals due to the breakover being so harsh. The Craze is the exact fix she needs! There is almost no breakover and not exactly a "valley". It just feels as though it gently gets easier to draw at the end of the draw cycle. Even without an obvious breakover to the valley, the bow does not seem to want to jump at full draw which is great for beginners. The bow I shot had no stabilizer, no limbsavers, or any other type of noise/vibration supressors and yet the bow was extremely quiet and only a very slight twinge of hand shock, which will most definately be eliminated with a good stabilizer. This is a bow that will be just as affective for your son at 12 years old as it will be when he is 22 years old because it will go all the way from 20lb-70lb depending on draw length. I appologize for the lengthy post, but I hope this answers your questions!
    Exactly how i was going to say it very very very smooth and quiet

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    In Allegany State Park, NY
    Posts
    3,643
    I just got them in the day before yesterday and have already sold 2 to grown men . The bow is sweeeeeeeet!

  21. #21
    from kids to adults, this bow looks like it will do it all. Should be a popular bow this year.
    Aim LOW

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, KY
    Posts
    447
    Not to mention, Mathews lifetime warranty is second to none! They stand behind the products as well as or better than anyone else in the industry. If the craze was not the best bow in its class, they simply would not have released it!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    399

    Plastic??

    Quote Originally Posted by jrip View Post
    Build quality, shootability, quietness, feel.... dont get me wrong the Craze is a serious bow thats very adjustable that shoots pretty darn good, but it is built really cheaply. Plastic limb pockets and stamped steel limb tip covers for the axle mounts that are only held in place by the axle and a groove in the limb? C'mon Matt we learned how to build this crap decades ago in high school shop class and did a better job of it too.
    Plastic?? Look closer, that's a composite material. Glock used it in guns and I never heard a complaint. Mission has been using it for years on limb pockets and I've never heard of a problem. It's all perception.

    Nothing wrong with the Craze. It's alot of bow for the money. If you're looking at any lower end models in any brand they aren't going to have all the bells, whistles and technology of the high end. That doesn't mean they are built cheaply.
    Member of PSAA, NFAA, PFATA.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Muskogee,Ok.
    Posts
    73,539
    I saw and drew this one. Actually a really good bow for youth. Mathews did good on that one. Love the adjustment.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Muskogee,Ok.
    Posts
    73,539
    Quote Originally Posted by tpentecost83 View Post
    Not to mention, Mathews lifetime warranty is second to none! They stand behind the products as well as or better than anyone else in the industry. If the craze was not the best bow in its class, they simply would not have released it!
    Lifetime as long as you own the bow. Not the life of the bow.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •