Thread: do deer move in light rain?

do deer move in light rain?

wanna go out this evening but we spose to be havin some lite rain

IMO.

Yes, they move well if the were going to anyway.
    They definately move right after a heavy rain, wheather they were going to or not.

marty

i love hunting a light rain or mist with slight fog and cool/cold weather...

In my experience, deer movement is not affected by light rain. I would rather hunt any day in light rain over high wind. I say go for it.

I see more deer in a light rain than at any other time. It's my favorite conditions to hunt in.
    Ashland County Ohio

we have 7mph winds and 17 mph gusts on top of that rain tho~

Quote Originally Posted by pse85 View Post
    we have 7mph winds and 17 mph gusts on top of that rain tho~
    so play the wind direction and be sneaky...high winds can get them on alert, but that doesn't mean they don't want to eat/drink/do the naughty...

plus the "high wind" actually will hide sounds of you walking, drawing, sneezing, etc...

good luck, have fun, even if you don't kill on the hunt, aren't you out there to just "hunt" and take it all in?

Hunt. Seen some of the most deer activity in a light rain...I personally find it to be one of my favorite weather conditions to hunt in.

Yes... go hunt
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Do deer move in light rain? BIG TIME!
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Little bit of a tougher call. I've experienced decent deer movement in winds up to 15-20 mph in VA but the deer are usually nervous. Past 20 mph deer movement really drops where I hunt and the wind really swirls due to the mountainous terrain. I would not compromise a good stand by hunting it in the wrong wind direction. However, if you have a stand that works with your wind direction then go for it as you cannot kill them on the computer.

Some of my best hunts have been light rain, I LOVE hunting a light rain. Bucks seem to move well here. GO!

thanks guys,

i guess i will go hunt this evening! im feeling lucky!

Yes, so do a lot of other animals.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

I love a light rain/sprinkle/mist. But I like it during the rut. Right now its early and pretty hot out in my area so Im passing on hunting for awhile...

Chance of rain tonight here. ll be in the tree. Sure beats being Hot.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by pse85 View Post
    thanks guys,

i guess i will go hunt this evening! im feeling lucky!
    good luck and hope you smoke one!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Chance of rain tonight here. ll be in the tree. Sure beats being Hot.
    DB
    70* is not hot DB, try south texas heat.

As long as its not a heavy rain, yes they move around. The same with snow. If it is snowing lightly, they move around just fine. When snowing or raining heavily, they will wait it out. Their senses are not as good when there is bad weather.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

It's a little warm here today..... forecast said over cast with rain.... was excited to get out..... but all I hot was hot sun.... going back out this evening to see if I can catch them heading to the fields. I like a light rain.... makes for a more enjoyable hunt for me... best if luck.

Largest bow buck I've ever shot was during a cold November drizzle.
    X Force BABY! Sword, Nap, Lone Wolf.

FREE CLEE!!!

yup , can't beat a light rain as far as movement goes
    Bowtech Air Raid 29" 55-65lb,PSE Top Gun Slider sight
    QAD Ultra Rest ,SVL X-Coil 3.5",Gold Tip 55-75 Ted Nugent edition arrows,100gr Magnus Buzzcuts
    -I am a trophy hunter....until something else walks out-
    USMC Infantry Combat Vet (05-09) OIF 5-7

If its a light rain your fine, they will move. If its heavy then they bed down and let the weather pass. Same thing applies to snow and wind, although deer are willing to move more in heavy snow then heavy rain or wind. Deer loose a lot of the effectiveness of their nose and ears when the weather gets bad so they stay bedded down until its better conditions.
    Athens Accomplice 32
    29.5"/ 60 lbs
    Athens Factory Staff

Team 26: Double Lung Deerdevils

When the rain is coming I make sure to be in the tree when it comes and as it leaves. Might take a break if it gets too heavy...So when it's rainging lightly I would be hunting!
    B2E Hunt Club, NJ......Eden Ridge, KY
    '05 Switchback 68# -260 F.P.S.-Scott Wildcat-Beaman ICS 340- QAD- Spott Hogg SLICK TRICKS 125gr...
    '09 Admiral 70#- Hunter Hogg-it .... QAD - ST magnums 100gr- Easton axis- Posten 8"

With 3 little boys ages 7,5, and 5 months, I hunt whenever I can, regardless of the weather. My wife bought me some really good rain gear, and never stay out of the woods due to rain.

May I suggest a good waterproof hat and gloves. That will make your hunt much more enjoyable. If you do not like the rain so much, head into the woods 2.5 hours before or after the sunrise/set. You will at least be in the woods during the most traveled times of the day.

I say just hunt!
    Carbon Element 67# 28.5
    QAD Ultra HDX
    Axcel Armortech HD