Thread: How long does the human scent last in the woods?

How long does the human scent last in the woods?

from just walking down a trail to get to your blind/stand?

someone said on here a couple days or so

I have heard up to three days. No idea if it's true or not. As strong as their nose is, it wouldn't surprise me.

im not real sure bout human scent, but my dogs ran to a tree the other day that i had tied a hog to 2 weeks ago. they were going nuts tryin to get wind on what direction to go.
    2010 DESTROYER 350
    29" 70#
    GOLD TIP VELOCITY PRO 300
    G5 SIGHT
    QUALITY ARCHER FALL AWAY REST

I read on a post it lasts about 3 days but that could be wrong.

Not really sure. I checked a trail cam Wednesday afternoon. On Saturday morning I watched a doe feeding near the trail cam then she ran a few yards away when she was near the cam. She didn't feed anymore near the cam.
    Team #24- Team Center Punch

Depends on conditions and other variables. Rain will clean things up. Cold weather means less scent. Deer will also react differently in the big woods where they rarely get human scent, as compared to populated areas where they often come in contact with scent. I got a good lesson about 6 years ago. Watched 3 coyotes hit my scent trail, rubber boots and sprayed down, 6 hours old, they turned tail, run back where they had come from at full speed.

this is a debate topic honestly, I really (imo) dont think anyone can give a honest set answer. There would be to many varibles like strength of smell, weather etc etc. I have had many different situations when it comes to scent, I cant just give you one set example. My best advise is to keep any human scent to a minimum. I know it sounds kind of lame, but really it is the easist way

Scent stays on the ground and on the things we touch for about 2-3 days. When it rains, it is mostly washed away. Going to my stands, I wear Elimitrax boots and gloves. I spray the bottoms of the boots with deer dander.