a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving the Archery Industry (part 2) - Announcing a Unique Bow Comparator

Improving the Archery Industry (part 2) - Announcing a Unique Bow Comparator

Hi guys,

This is the second part of the series of posts on improving the archery industry (here is the first part: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1231896).

Just wanted to let you know that over the last few months our team have been working very hard on bringing new useful services & tools for all archers.

We are very excited to announce a New and Unique Archery Tool: Compound Bow Comparator. In a nutshell, this tool allows for comparing bows side by side: pictures, specs (at the version level), editor reviews, pros & cons, user reviews & ratings, prices. Hope you will enjoy using this tool reguralrly.

This is how it works:

1) Go to http://CompoundBowChoice.com/

2) Scroll down and visit the 'Tools -> Bow Comparator' page
    (direct link: http://CompoundBowChoice.com/tools/comparator/)

3) Select up to 10 bows. Please note you can compare at the version level. For example, you can compare 2010 PSE X-Force Dream Season UF with 2009 Mathews Monster. The exact specs for the specified versions will be compared. Or you can compare different version of the same model (for example, 2008 Dream Season HF vs. 2009 Dream Season GX vs 2010 Dream Season UF)

4) Click the "Compare" button

5) Compare the selected bows - compare pictures, specs, reviews, pros & cons, ratings, and prices

If you want a quick example how it looks like here is a quick link (comparing 2008 Mathews DXT vs. 2010 Hoyt Alphamax 32 (Z3 Cam) vs. 2009 Elite Z28): http://compoundbowchoice.com/tools/c...&m2=115&v2=203

Can you please have a look and provide your feedback in this thread. Do you like this tool? If so, what do you like exactly. If not, what could be improved? We worked very hard to put it all together and we are more than happy to further improve this particular tool.

P.S. Stay tuned, more unique archery tools & services are coming. We are very excited about delivering even more useful services soon.

Dave

Guys, we need your feedback please to make it even better.

I think this is a great tool. I use a similar one for ballistics on ammo. I think this will be a very useful tool for someone looking for a used bow rather than a new one. I would rather have an independent review such as yours than from a fanboy. Having retail prices on the bows if it is made in the current year would help. Also listing something about their warranties would be nice. Hope you test most all bows too. I know there are a lot of start up bow companies in the last year or so, but I wouldn't want to miss out on something that could be the next latest, greatest!
    MATHEWS CREED
    27.5" 60 lb.
    GT 55-75

Yeah, it was great, right until I tried to choose GT500...
    No sponsors. No camera crew. No team.
    Just hunt with a passion for wildlife and wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by camosolo View Post
    I think this is a great tool. I use a similar one for ballistics on ammo. I think this will be a very useful tool for someone looking for a used bow rather than a new one. I would rather have an independent review such as yours than from a fanboy. Having retail prices on the bows if it is made in the current year would help. Also listing something about their warranties would be nice. Hope you test most all bows too. I know there are a lot of start up bow companies in the last year or so, but I wouldn't want to miss out on something that could be the next latest, greatest!
    Thanks very much for your kind words, buddy!

I completely agree with you that this bow comparator tool is useful for comparing used bows but i can also see how it can be used for comparing the new ones. For example, if you are interested in comparing specs of the new 2011 PSE Omen with any other bow from any brand you can always do that. Also, you can compare prices on both used and new bows. In other words we hope this tool will be very valuable for anyone wanting to compare any bows (including new and used bows).

In addition to our editor reviews, archers can post their own reviews on our website. We have a very rigid policy on approving consumer reviews. If a particular review comes from a fan boy and looks like "this bow is the best bow ever, and all other bows/brands suck" we will never approve it.

We will be rolling out a lot more archery related services and tools in the future. And we are very excited about making the industry better and helping you guys in as many way as we can.

Guys, if you have any ideas on how to improve this particular tool (Bow comparator) or any other tools on our website, or you just have some other ideas please share them in this thread - we will put them on our list of things to deliver in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMN View Post
    Yeah, it was great, right until I tried to choose GT500...
    Yeah, buddy, this is one of the challenges we face. I pomise this great rig will be there. Just want to kindly let you know that adding even 1 bow to our database is a very time consuming process. I will explain what i mean. While we have a great software platform for adding new bows quickly, research and compiling reviews, pros and cons, etc. is a time consuming process:

1) need to explore specs, find catalogs, use our admin tool to add all versions/modifications and double check the specs are correct
    2) analyzing feedback from shooters
    3) coming up with pros and cons
    4) making pictures
    5) looking for video reviews
    6) etc.

Anyhow, we plan to add all bows to our database in the nearest future. Maybe not all of them will be reviewed, but at least specs, pics, and prices will be available.

Stay tuned. We promise we will add more brands/models soon!

Nice.

I think it will be unique to use on new bows, (if you guys can review them before us and post specs, pics etc.). would be sweet if companys would let sights like this review and shoot the bows before us. Gotta increase the database though but thats a lot of work. overall,

Your site is already part of my favorites list. Good job. Looking forward to letting my friends know about your site.
    MATHEWS CREED
    27.5" 60 lb.
    GT 55-75

Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou View Post
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CDUBE View Post
    I think it will be unique to use on new bows, (if you guys can review them before us and post specs, pics etc.). would be sweet if companys would let sights like this review and shoot the bows before us. Gotta increase the database though but thats a lot of work. overall,
    Guys, thanks very much for your kind words.

CDUBE, unfortunately we can't provide a comprehensive review before a particular bow gets tested by hundreds/thousands of archers. We can only provide inital feedback from experienced archers but as you know it may turn out that a particular bow will have a problem in 6 months of usage or something. We plan to address such challenges by adding incremental reviews. For example, we can say that a 2011 version of a bow X was improved by adding Z and replacing Y.

We will keep improving our existing tools as well as adding more useful tools for all archers.

very nice i think I will bookmark it thanks
    PSE X-Force Axe 6 Hunting
    PSE Dominator 3D Target

This was a fun tool, just include more manufactures, models and more accurate pictures (don't use the same pic for different year models if there are changes in that model). I think you will see lots of archers spending hours on your site.
    ------------B.T. Guardian 07
    -------B.T. Constitution 08
    ---Elite XLR all black 09
    Hoyt Vektor Turbo 12

Quote Originally Posted by Atrof View Post
    This was a fun tool, just include more manufactures, models and more accurate pictures (don't use the same pic for different year models if there are changes in that model). I think you will see lots of archers spending hours on your site.
    Thanks very much for your kind words and suggestions.

1) We will keep adding more brands/models for sure! (time consuming process in terms of research/content)

2) Yeah, using the same picture for different versions is something we really want to change but once again, as i mentioned earlier, it can't be done overnight. We will be constantly improving our systems and this bit (adding version specific pictures) is on our TODO list. Maybe we will even need support from you guys. If we could organise a process when it would be possible for archers to upload their own pictures of different versions we would be more than happy to process pictures and add this feature much sooner.

With so so many exciting enhancements/new tools on our delivery list, it's impossible to make everything perfect at once. But we promise this website will be getting better every day (or at least every week or two - sometimes it takes a lot of time to roll out a particular feature - it took us a month to develop the comparator in terms of technology)!

Once again guys, thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions on how to improve the industry and make the above mentioned tools even better.

It may very well be a useful tool, but I can see someone at the keyboard multi-tasking like all get out. First, manufacturers change their minds (bows) more often than women (hope I can say that without getting my head ripped off) and everyone will be yammerin' for the new bows before they are reviewed. And the updates, failures, dislikes that come down the road?
    The dollar resale value I saw, some companies may get a little perturbed. Imagine a owner trying to sell a very nice bow and someone offers next to nothing because they saw the going price on your toy. The person trying to sell the bow will ticked off greatly and the person making the next to nothing offer will be nursing a sore jaw. And the one buying sees the bow he bought for $500 going for $175? What will he do, call the seller a rip off artist, ask for his money back? I can see hard feelings coming.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver Pro, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Deuce, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Stinger
    with Stinger back bars.

Find a way to give us the draw force curve for each bow. It will help us determine what a draw will feel like much better than an editor's subjective impression about how he/she feels about the draw.
    '09 Vanquish by Kevin Strother @ 29"/60#/75%
    '11 K & K Vengeance @ 29"/65#/80% on order
    Kaya KTB 29"/55#

looks like a useful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemiz View Post
    Find a way to give us the draw force curve for each bow. It will help us determine what a draw will feel like much better than an editor's subjective impression about how he/she feels about the draw.
    Also, let us know if the draw lengths are spot on or measure long. Also, maybe post real world speeds with string silencers, peep, and loop.

Great suggestion, buddy! This feature would be very useful. With the way our database is structured, we can add any info at the bow version level including draw curves. Thanks again for this suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry24 View Post
    Also, let us know if the draw lengths are spot on or measure long. Also, maybe post real world speeds with string silencers, peep, and loop.
    Good suggestion. Adding real world IBO speeds is also on our list. While depends on setup, i agree this info would very useful.

Guys, your feedback and suggestions are great! Please keep them coming!

For those of you guys, who have not provided feedback yet and who is happy to spend some time analzying the new tool can you please have a quick look and provide your comment in this thread?

Thanks!

This is a really sweet setup. I can see me using this to help choose a new bow. Being able to stack them all side by side seeing all the specs is nice. It was super easy to use, and read. Just needs more content.

Allow us to search for all bows that match a particular set of criteria (i.e. 7" bh, ATA 32-34, DL adjustable without bow press, etc...)
    '09 Vanquish by Kevin Strother @ 29"/60#/75%
    '11 K & K Vengeance @ 29"/65#/80% on order
    Kaya KTB 29"/55#

Allow us to search for all bows that match a particular set of criteria (i.e. 7" bh, ATA 32-34, DL adjustable without bow press, etc...)
    Artemiz, we have another tool that allows for doing things like that. It's also unique - it's called compound bow selector. This tool can be found on a number of review pages. For example, on the main reviews page (http://compoundbowchoice.com/reviews/). It is also used on compare price pages (for example, http://compoundbowchoice.com/for-sale/).

However, it doesn't allow for searching by DL adjustable without a bow press.

Great idea, Artemiz! Thanks!

I scanned over the replies so may have missed this, but one thing that (as a tech and shooter) you are missing is having the vertical nock travel checked on these bows. There are some that are really really flat and true and some that are so bad it is very difficult to get a guys arrows to tune....that would be very helpful to everyone researching, just the facts not reviewers opinions. I would imagine the bow manufacturers making the not so good nock travel bows would be against you doing this. And it would require actually having a bow in hand to check...I would not give the site much credibility based on spec and reviews alone knowing that 90% of opinions out there are just that, just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it's accurate...you want credibility, get the bows in hand to check. Cheers, Ryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast