Thread: Bow Square??

Bow Square??

I was looking for ideas for making my own bow square. I'd like to know what everyone on here does. if anyone has any pics or suggestions i'll appreciate it.

you best bet is to spend a couple dollars and just buy one, you'll have a hard time making everything square and unless you have an aluminum square your square will be to heavy for the string...

I glued part of an arrow into one end of a 9" (or any convenient lenght...the longer the better) half round oak moulding so that the nock would stick out about 3/4". In the other end of the wood I tapped a 10-32 thread to accept a thumb screw who's head is on the same side as the nock. To use you simply nock the arrow as usual then adjust the thumb screw till it contacts your string on either the top or bottom. You then move to the opposite end and adjust. Continue alternating untill the thumb screw touches the string on both the top and the bottom and you will have your arrow perfectly square to the string. The neet thing about this set-up is that is extremely accurate. In my case the rest is 6" from the string and the thumb screw does an 18" sweep so there is a 3 to 1 magnification....in other words, if the screw is touching on the bottom but .03" away at the top, your nock point is .01" high. Another way I've used this tool (and probably the smartest) is to lock down the thumb screw with a jam nut to record the loop position on a perfectly tuned bow. It now becomes a verticle tune gage that can be used after a loop, center serving, or string change, to get you back to where you were.

Bought one at wal-mart for $6. IMHO they are too cheap to not just buy one.
    2010 Bear Assault, doinker multirod (custom 11 inch) HHA ds 5519
    SIXX STRINGS ADDING X's TO EVERYTHING WE DO!! www.sixxstrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fletched View Post
    It may be brown, but it ain't fudge they are trying to feed to us AT members.

Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    Bought one at wal-mart for $6. IMHO they are too cheap to not just buy one.
    exactly.
    Exo Mountain Backpacks
    Darton Archery
    Lone Wolf
    Havalon Torch
    Kifaru

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex69 View Post
    I glued part of an arrow into one end of a 9" (or any convenient lenght...the longer the better) half round oak moulding so that the nock would stick out about 3/4". In the other end of the wood I tapped a 10-32 thread to accept a thumb screw who's head is on the same side as the nock. To use you simply nock the arrow as usual then adjust the thumb screw till it contacts your string on either the top or bottom. You then move to the opposite end and adjust. Continue alternating untill the thumb screw touches the string on both the top and the bottom and you will have your arrow perfectly square to the string. The neet thing about this set-up is that is extremely accurate. In my case the rest is 6" from the string and the thumb screw does an 18" sweep so there is a 3 to 1 magnification....in other words, if the screw is touching on the bottom but .03" away at the top, your nock point is .01" high. Another way I've used this tool (and probably the smartest) is to lock down the thumb screw with a jam nut to record the loop position on a perfectly tuned bow. It now becomes a verticle tune gage that can be used after a loop, center serving, or string change, to get you back to where you were.
    Do you have any photos

Quote Originally Posted by hog7 View Post
    Do you have any photos
    Will try to get some pics in here tomorro.....she's not purdy, but she's extremely accurate!!!

Is it tomorro yet ;-).......here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by keith2010 View Post
    I was looking for ideas for making my own bow square. I'd like to know what everyone on here does. if anyone has any pics or suggestions i'll appreciate it.
    I made this square out of 3mm aluminium 10yrs. ago with cutouts for fletches etc. still use it occasionally .

Wait until after deer season, and wal-mart will put all of their archery stuff on clearance. It can't be that much for a square? I think I only gave 10 or so dollars for mine at a pro shop. Unless you are real bored? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bhuntin View Post
    Wait until after deer season, and wal-mart will put all of their archery stuff on clearance. It can't be that much for a square? I think I only gave 10 or so dollars for mine at a pro shop. Unless you are real bored? lol
    I purchased mine too, but sometimes it is more about makin your own than money.
    "...If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it" Bill Cosby

"I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose." Woody Allen

Both of those are awesome ideas. I have a couple busted arrows that i'm going to try to make one like that with. Again awesome idea

Quote Originally Posted by tiuser View Post
    I purchased mine too, but sometimes it is more about makin your own than money.
    That, and also the fact that you know whay you've got. If you have one of the cheap blue anodized units, I recomend checking it with a master square. The one I had was not square. I believe that when they stamped in the lines it was not held under enough pressure and the material stretched in that area causing the out of square condition. Not sayin there all out of square but it sure can't hurt to check.

The one I got from wal-mart this year is terrible piece of "----" I am going to try to modify it and make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex69 View Post
    Is it tomorro yet ;-).......here ya go.
    Thank you