Thread: hind end shot?

hind end shot?

Say you shoot a deer and it goes high through the tenderloin. If the deer turns and starts to walk away, would you take a hind end shot?

If I can tell that I shot the deer high non fatal, then it just walks away I might weight for it to give me a quartering shot, now I say I shot it lower through the guts, and it turns and walks way no shot at getting a quartering shot then yes just below the base of the tail would be getting my 100 grain magnus.
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff
    Elite Z28 30/60
    Chief Arrow Stick Out

Quote Originally Posted by DocMort View Post
    If I can tell that I shot the deer high non fatal, then it just walks away I might weight for it to give me a quartering shot, now I say I shot it lower through the guts, and it turns and walks way no shot at getting a quartering shot then yes just below the base of the tail would be getting my 100 grain magnus.
    What he said.

From what ive heard and seen, I believe close to 90% of ham shot deer get recovered.
    #1 Rage fanboy & poacher extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
    From what ive heard and seen, I believe close to 90% of ham shot deer get recovered.
    Not true at all. If the femoral artery is severed, then they will expire quickly. But, you do not have a 90% chance of hitting the femoral artery.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
    Not true at all. If the femoral artery is severed, then they will expire quickly. But, you do not have a 90% chance of hitting the femoral artery.
    Do some research, even do a poll on here from people with the experience. It WILL surprise you, if all the story tellers dont show up.

Even Fred Bear wrote about never losing a ham shot animal...

Even Fred Bear wrote about never losing a ham shot animal...
    I've heard from a few very experienced guys about this, and it is surprising, but everything I can find about it leads to that conclusion. Ham shot deer die.

The thickest blood trail I've ever seen came from a doe shot in the hindquarter with a 357mag.

That said, I've never taken that shot, nor would I recommend it. It does make me wonder though.

ive seen it accidently done a bunch but i dont think i could ever try it

If you hit the femoral artery, yes the deer will die quickly. But I would NOT recommend this shot and it is a long way from the lungs. Getting back to the question.....that is one I will have to think about. My goal is to quickly recover an animal. Tenderloin shot Id probably wait for another day, bad shot in the guts, id try to get another arrow into the deer.

ckc
    Heartland Bowhunter ProStaff

www.heartlandbowhunter.com

Jesus is my guide.

My experience, and I've hit two through the backstraps, is that you don't have time to get another shot off. They are gone like the proverbial bat outta hell.

Where did you come up with that stat?
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    Honestly, I just made it up for self satisfaction. As far as percentage I dont know a absolute number, but it is unbelievably high.

Go look up a thread called "Ham shots" on Bowsite. I know you post there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    Carbon Knight 60# at 29". Quad UltraRest HDX. Trophy Ridge 5 pin Site. Scheels Rogue Arrows. Rocket Steelhead 100's
    Assassin 60# at 29". RAK package.

Quote Originally Posted by tikaldah2000 View Post
    50% of the time, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by tikaldah2000 View Post
    No doubt! Post that stat on Bowsite- I dare ya....grin

Only twice in the time I have been bowhunting have I seen a hind qtr shot [more anecdotal evidence for the statisticians...wink] which is pretty good really.

One was a buck my buddy wounded in Nevada and I was on the spotting scope 1/4 mile above him. I saw the buck go 1/2 mile and bed. We snuck in on him, my buddy in front and I looped around behind. My buddy spooked him and I made a miracle 70yd ish running shot that hit the buck in the ham. didn't kill him, we still had to finish the buck another 3/4 mile down canyon but it did bleed continuously so we could follow his blood trail.

Another was a bull I called in for 2 buddies. They spooked him at 15 yds and when he ran back across a very steep "V" avalanche chute I stopped him at 55yds. Both buddies shot at the same time and then the bull took a step with both arrows 4" apart in the ham. On the hit, all I could think of is, "We won't see that bull until tomorrow morning" and then bull started wobbling in 30yds and went down

So to answer the OP question, Yes I would take any followup shot if i thought the original was a bad shot -THAT THE DEER WOULD NOT RECOVER FROM-
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

If it was within 30 yards or so i would take a neck shot after putting one through the straps if i had the shot. I just think putting one in the hind end just to get another arrow in the animal is little cruel. Not to say that it won;t cause further trauma causing the animal to bleed internally. At least hitting the neck is spine or major arteries hopefully resulting in a quicker death and easier recovery.
    Maxxis 35, 29"DL 80#DW
    Easton ACC Pro Hunter 300
    Black Gold Solaris 5 pin
    Quad HDX
    QAD Exodus

Don't just have the femoral artery, you also have the aorta that runs along the underside of the spine. Cut either one and deer is dead within seconds.
    Every man dies, few truly live.

4 out of three people don't understand statistics