Archery Talk Forum banner

hind end shot?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  eastx 
#1 ·
Say you shoot a deer and it goes high through the tenderloin. If the deer turns and starts to walk away, would you take a hind end shot?

#2 ·
If I can tell that I shot the deer high non fatal, then it just walks away I might weight for it to give me a quartering shot, now I say I shot it lower through the guts, and it turns and walks way no shot at getting a quartering shot then yes just below the base of the tail would be getting my 100 grain magnus.

#9 ·
If you hit the femoral artery, yes the deer will die quickly. But I would NOT recommend this shot and it is a long way from the lungs. Getting back to the question.....that is one I will have to think about. My goal is to quickly recover an animal. Tenderloin shot Id probably wait for another day, bad shot in the guts, id try to get another arrow into the deer.

ckc

#10 ·
My experience, and I've hit two through the backstraps, is that you don't have time to get another shot off. They are gone like the proverbial bat outta hell.

#16 ·
If it was within 30 yards or so i would take a neck shot after putting one through the straps if i had the shot. I just think putting one in the hind end just to get another arrow in the animal is little cruel. Not to say that it won;t cause further trauma causing the animal to bleed internally. At least hitting the neck is spine or major arteries hopefully resulting in a quicker death and easier recovery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.