Thread: Using an ozone generator to keep your clothes scent free

Using an ozone generator to keep your clothes scent free

Hey everyone, I've been doing a little research on ozone generators and they look like it may be a good way to keep your hunting clothes scent free.

Right now i use a Rubbermaid tote with baking soda in the bottom to hold my clothes between hunts. I know some people use mesh bags or other containers with leaves grasses and such to hold a little outdoor scent.

One ozone generator i see has a tube plumbed into it and is supposed to work with a garment bag but i think i could get it plumbed to the tote. If it puts out enough airflow i could make a false bottom to the tote and run the ozone up through the clothes and out a vent on top. I know there are different kinds of ozone generators made for hunting but i'm trying to improve on that and DIY at the same time.

http://www.jenesco.com/cart/html/Pro...ver-II-28.html

Does that sound like an idea that would work? Anybody ever work with ozone generators before?

With a 12v system all you would have to do is plug into your cigarette lighter on the drive to your hunting spot and in theory your clothes should be scent free by the time you get there. You could also use the tote to descent all your gear for a night. Even the inside of your truck. I know ozone is not safe to breath in high concentrations, but should be safe on clothes.

Would it be worth the extra time and money to do something like this? The older i get, the more i seem to be a scent fanatic.

Any thoughts on the subject?

I just don't see why people bother to go through all of this scent control. I am not saying its wrong, but it's really just a lot of wasted money in my opinion. Hunt the wind and be smart. You are going to lay down scent regardless so worry about stand placement early season and hunt the wind. If you only have the option to hunt a couple of stands in a small wood lot then scent is more critical as you will be in and out of there multiple times. Once the rut is on then scent is even less of an issue as the bucks only have one thing on their mind. I have had many a buck blow by me on the down wind side and not even raise their nose or slow down to care. To each his own so do what you feel is right.

Hunting the wind only does so much, if hunting the wind an the deer happens to appear behind you it still going to bust you. While hunting the wind an being as scent free as possible you still have an chance of maybe getting that buck that has eluded you for serveral seasons in the past. I have an LOG6 on order right now an can't wait to try it out once it arrives.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
    I just don't see why people bother to go through all of this scent control. I am not saying its wrong, but it's really just a lot of wasted money in my opinion. Hunt the wind and be smart. You are going to lay down scent regardless so worry about stand placement early season and hunt the wind. If you only have the option to hunt a couple of stands in a small wood lot then scent is more critical as you will be in and out of there multiple times. Once the rut is on then scent is even less of an issue as the bucks only have one thing on their mind. I have had many a buck blow by me on the down wind side and not even raise their nose or slow down to care. To each his own so do what you feel is right.
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT 28"@ 59lbs, 2011 CRX32 Blackout 27.5" @60lbs
    Darkhorse Stud arrows 400's 28" with Montecs or Rage 3 blades
    Darkhorse Archery Staff Shooter darkhorsearchery.ca ECO3/LOG6 Prostaff

The main reason i want to do this is it has been too warm here all of October. I sweat quite a bit as i have to walk at least a half mile to any of my stands. I don't have the time to wash after every hunt and need to get the sweat smell from my clothes.

Lots of products hit the hunting market all the time. Some seem like good ones to me, and some seem not so good. Being a guy that does 100% of the work on his bow, and builds his own arrows, I thought the G5 ASD(arrow squaring devise) was one of the greatest tools in recent years to hit the market.

As far as ozone generators go, I think they are another great product for many hunters. Not all due to different hunting methods, but for hunters that have access to electrical power on a daily basis, ozone generators are a great piece of equipment.

Yes, i sell the Log6 ozone generator, but I sell it because I believe in it. If I thought for a second it was a gimmick, I would have nothing to do with it.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Yes, i sell the Log6 ozone generator, but I sell it because I believe in it. If I thought for a second it was a gimmick, I would have nothing to do with it.
    Let me ask you a question about the Log6 generator.

I have checked it's website and think it could do the same as what i'm looking for. But the link i posted to has a generator with a hose the airflows moves through. Thinking along those lines...... i have a hard time imagining ozone passing through that small tubing into a sealed tote. Not saying that it can't but it doesn't seem as efficiant as airflow through a tube. Can you explain your thoughts on the two different types of "ozone transfer".

I do see that there are alot of good reviews for the Log6.

I can tell you I have plugged in the Log6 unit in my truck to get rid of the smell of food my kids
    have mysteriously hid in places before we could find it. For totes I've never seen an airtight tote
    unless it's a Hardigg/Storm or Pelican case with o-ring seal. You will still have some airflow using
    a rubbermaid or sterilite tote.
    Proudly Supporting Spot Hogg, SNA Bow Slings, True Spot Scopes, Vaportrail Archery, Hot Shot Archery, Bad River Outdoors, Norway Industries, Big Green Targets, PB Archery, , Wac’Em Broadheads, Archery Lessons Online, U-slide

Wouldn't you want some kind of airflow through the clothes rather than trying to push ozone rich air into a sealed container?

I got my LOG6 last fri. and it puts out enough ozone you don't want to be in a small room with it running, so far I like the results in getting..............

I am more curious what the long term effects of ozone are to your gear and clothes....
    BowFreakZ Archery
    Sticking it to them one shaft at a time!!!
    Check us out on the web!!!
    NRA - VCDL - GOA - SAF

the log6 absolutely works, and the tote doesn't need to be 100% sealed, as long as it has a decent seal to it then you're good to go. I now treat my hunting clothes with the log6 rather than washing them after each wear.

Quote Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
    Let me ask you a question about the Log6 generator.

I have checked it's website and think it could do the same as what i'm looking for. But the link i posted to has a generator with a hose the airflows moves through. Thinking along those lines...... i have a hard time imagining ozone passing through that small tubing into a sealed tote. Not saying that it can't but it doesn't seem as efficiant as airflow through a tube. Can you explain your thoughts on the two different types of "ozone transfer".

I do see that there are alot of good reviews for the Log6.
    The reason for the small diameter hose is because we are not dealing with a 10HP engine pumping the ozone through the tube. If we went with a large diameter tube there would be very little pressure to move the ozone downstream.

You can use the Log6 with the hose/hoses, or by simply detaching the hoses and using the unit in a closet, small room, or truck cab. :smile
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by weave View Post
    I am more curious what the long term effects of ozone are to your gear and clothes....
    There is very little doubt that ozone will have some detrimental effects on rubber and elastic when exposed long term. That said, even though I buy expensive hunting clothes and boots, I have never worn out the elastic or rubber before wearing out the garment. Used as directed, I doubt that anybody will ever see the effect ozone has on their gear....other than odor removal.

Cleaning service companies have been using ozone producing machines for years to clean all kinds of smells up. Hospitals use them also. If these places use them, then it would work great for hunting clothes too. I found one on eBay for $80, that I was thinking about getting. The ones made for the hunting industry, are overpriced just like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhntng4evr View Post
    I found one on eBay for $80, that I was thinking about getting. The ones made for the hunting industry, are overpriced just like everything else.
    Just make sure you check out the specs. One site i read said this "The Chinese typically rate their machines using pure oxygen as a source gas. Still others give an output achievable under “optimal conditions”. “Optimal conditions” can only be achieved using pure oxygen."

I have seen some people say they bought ozone generators that don't work well. I'm assuming they bought cheaper models.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
    I currently hunt a small lot of land and it is in a creek bottom. The wind is usually swirling anyways. If I had more land and the option of more stands I could choose from on which way the wind is blowing that would be great. I will be buying the log6 soon. It will help me gain just a little more advantage.

I used a LOG 6 all last week on a hunt in IL. Used only 2 changings of clothes all week. Ran them in a tote with the LOG 6 once a day. While you can never say anything works for certain, I absoluely believe it works. I had a 3yr old 130-135" 8ptr standing outside the window of my blind at 4-5 feet down-wind for about 4-5 minutes one evening and never got winded. Luck always plays a part as well but with stinky clothes, that would have never happened. And it'll save a ton of wear and tear on your clothes by not having to wash them as much. I'll use mine religiously from now on. I put everytihng in the box with them. Backpack, hats, gloves, HSS vest, you name it. Very nice unit in my opinion.

Dawg
    PSE FIELD STAFF / TRUBALL STAFF
    Me: 2013 Vendetta DC, Breathn-Built SH Patriot Supra DC, Breathn-Built Red Supra DC
    Wife: 2013 New Breed Lycan in Blk/Muddy Girl, 2012 Mathews Jewel in Lost Camo
    Son (19): 2014 Mathews Chill in Lost Camo

I've got a pair of Muck boots that are STINKY inside. I didn't realize how much odor those things hold. For the longest time, I was blaming my dog for the way my truck smelled, then I realized it was the boots. I read up on this Log 6 unit and decided that it may be just the ticket for things you can't wash like belts, My HSS vest, those boots, and also to keep from having to wash my clothes after every hunt. I ordered one and got it today. After getting home from hunting tonight, I grabbed a tote I was using to store some gear and set it up to use with the unit. I've got those stinky boots in the tote right now, I can't think of a better test for the unit. Its probably got another 10 minutes to go. I hope its as good as what I've heard, I guess I'll find out soon and post the results.
    Crazy 8's

Half life of ozone is 30 minutes. Time starts when the plug is pulled. Once the clothes are out of the container or about an hour in the container everything is back to normal. By the time you get dressed and start walking the benefit of the ozone is long gone. The source of the odors is you and the clothes are going to be scented up as soon as you put them on. There is no long term effect or protection from the ozone. So how does having scent free clothes 4 hours ago help you now?

I can see the benefit of it for something like boots you can't wash but for most clothes I can't see it.

Okay, I pulled my boots out of the tote and aired them out a bit. I cannot believe the smell is just gone! Before I started, I had my wife take a whiff. You should have seen the look on her face. I told her I was going to have her do it again in a half hour and she said no way! Well, I convinced her to take another whiff, and she couldn't believe it. She said that machine was worth every penny. I've got a power inverter in my truck, I think I'll throw my climber in the cab and give it 30 min of ozone. Barring any damage the ozone may do to rubber/elastic, I'm thinking this machine is a pretty good investment.
    Crazy 8's

Quote Originally Posted by BigBirdVA View Post
    Half life of ozone is 30 minutes. Time starts when the plug is pulled. Once the clothes are out of the container or about an hour in the container everything is back to normal. By the time you get dressed and start walking the benefit of the ozone is long gone. The source of the odors is you and the clothes are going to be scented up as soon as you put them on. There is no long term effect or protection from the ozone. So how does having scent free clothes 4 hours ago help you now?

I can see the benefit of it for something like boots you can't wash but for most clothes I can't see it.
    Yes, you START to absorb odor again immediately upon taking the clothing out of the container. If there is no benefit in using the Log6, then there is no benefit in EVER taking a shower, right?

Using an ozone generator is merely another step in the line of odor elimination. You still have to shower, and minimize sweating, and stay away from gas pumps, etc., but you can use a Log6 on your items that cannot be regularly washed, and the clothing that can be regularly washed, do not need to be washed as often now.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutStopper View Post
    Okay, I pulled my boots out of the tote and aired them out a bit. I cannot believe the smell is just gone! Before I started, I had my wife take a whiff. You should have seen the look on her face. I told her I was going to have her do it again in a half hour and she said no way! Well, I convinced her to take another whiff, and she couldn't believe it. She said that machine was worth every penny. I've got a power inverter in my truck, I think I'll throw my climber in the cab and give it 30 min of ozone. Barring any damage the ozone may do to rubber/elastic, I'm thinking this machine is a pretty good investment.
    Good deal.

Now your biggest problem is going to be keeping it from your wife. Once she realizes how well it works on household and car odors, she will want one too.

LOg 6

Just got the log 6 and there is no mention what the normal or optimal amount you set the timer for. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by gregcoya View Post
    Just got the log 6 and there is no mention what the normal or optimal amount you set the timer for. Anyone know?
    I set it for a half hour.
    Crazy 8's

I've been using the Hunter X for a few years and never have issues with being winded. Ozone will effect anything that has rubber in it such a bow holster. I read on here last year someone suggesting putting it in a ground blind, I would absolutely not recommend breathing Ozone because it is very corrosive and long term exposure is not recommended. Overall I am very happy with the Hunter X. I had been wanting one for a long time and when my German Shepherd got sprayed by a skunk that was the perfect justification for buying it with the wife.