Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License For Camera Man In Iowa????

Orange County, NY (Future Iowa Resident!)

License For Camera Man In Iowa????

I was talking with some guy from Iowa the other day and he told me that a DNR Officer told him that a camera man that is filming a hunter in Iowa must also have a hunting license in order to film the hunter?? He said that if the camera man is actively involved in the hunt then he must have a license!! The reason I ask this question is that my brother is flying out to Iowa to film me for 3 days while I am out there hunting. He does not have a license. We will be hunting on a private farm and he will be up a tree next to me filming for me! He will not have a bow with him! I find it hard to believe that he would need a license also!! Did anyone ever here of this?? I think I am going to call the DNR later.

I have never heard of this.....but I live in VA.

I would call the DNR for sure
    BowFreakZ Archery
    Sticking it to them one shaft at a time!!!
    Check us out on the web!!!
    NRA - VCDL - GOA - SAF

I struggle to believe that but will wait to hear what the DNR tells you...
    In the magic of the autumn woods, my soul is nourished.

Im gonna raise the bs flag on this one.

I've often wondered the same thing. What about when my buddy is calling in elk for me? or what about those who are helping drive deer without a license? Is seems to me that if you don't have a method to kill something then you can't be hunting. But, I know law enforcement doesn't see things the way I see them.

I live in Iowa and I don't believe this to be true. Your brother video taping the hunt is not being actively involved in the hunt. If he's not driving deer to you or shooting, then he doesn't need a tag. If you'd like to find out for sure, call DNR officer Virginia Ashby. Her number is 712-260-1003. I'm sure she'll tell you the same thing.

If the person with you is driving deer, carrying a weapon, or influening the way the deer behave in any way, then they would have to have a license and they could shoot also. Just video taping your hunt, don't think that's necessary.
    Potential is interesting, performance is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by EG01004 View Post
    Im gonna raise the bs flag on this one.
    I agree also!

all the film crews that come here, I'm sure they don't all have tags~100% sure
    I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.

Pretty sure he will need a hunting license..
    I was told that just helping "look" track a deer down ALL will need one.
    JBK BOWSTRINGS With the 24 Month Guarantee on All sets of strings!
    www.jbkstrings.com

2014-2015 Team #24 - Team Center Punch

He shouldn't need one. So if you take a kid hunting so they can whach they need one too? So what if your fishing and your woman is sunbathing in the same boat same thing? I wouldn't sweat it, I know that the film crews dont all have tags, specialy since takes a little time to get drawn in Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSwitchback View Post
    Pretty sure he will need a hunting license..
    I was told that just helping "look" track a deer down ALL will need one.
    so I can't have my neighbor help me hang a deer?...lol or my wife came along and take a picture in the field...Com'on man

Oh wait,,I got my wife (IOWA) buck tag in my wallet..lol

I talked to the game warden about this,because my son was going to film me. He said he did'nt need one if he is just filming. He said he cannot help in ANYWAY, like calling,helping with yardage, set up the blind, he even said he can't hand the bow to me in a blind.

if you don't have a weapon, you're not hunting... that was the impression i was under.

If that's the case, everyone who takes their 5 year old into the woods to sit with them, is making them a poacher??? that doesn't sound right.
    Team 11- Caped & Quartered

Yes, we're just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by vortecman View Post
    I talked to the game warden about this,because my son was going to film me. He said he did'nt need one if he is just filming. He said he cannot help in ANYWAY, like calling,helping with yardage, set up the blind, he even said he can't hand the bow to me in a blind.
    cuz THAT's enforceable...
    Team 11- Caped & Quartered

Yes, we're just that good.

I just reread the Ohio laws pertaining to this subject. I think it would all hinge on wether or not the cameraman "AIDS OR ASSISTS" the hunter in ANY way. Does he whisper that a deer is in sight? Does he aid in blood tracking? Can he communicate with the shooter with intercom or cell phone, and use them to aid the hunter? This third item is illegal in any case at any time! But if he is aiding or assisting, I would guess the letter of the law says he needs a license.
    Before jumping on my interpretation, go read it yourself. You might see it a different way. Maybe some GWs can chime in on this one.
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

OK Guys, I contacted the DNR in Iowa! They told me that it is legal for my brother to be with me filming! The key here is that he can not actively be participating in the hunt! Such as calling for me, rattling antlers, does bleats and such. As long as he is just sitting in the tree with a camera just filming, it is legal!

Question Answered! Thanks for all of the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by rebbie View Post
    OK Guys, I contacted the DNR in Iowa! They told me that it is legal for my brother to be with me filming! The key here is that he can not actively be participating in the hunt! Such as calling for me, rattling antlers, does bleats and such. As long as he is just sitting in the tree with a camera just filming, it is legal!
    make sure to tell your brother not to let you know when that 160 buck is walking behind you......................lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Hood View Post
    make sure to tell your brother not to let you know when that 160 buck is walking behind you......................lol
    That's a good one!! Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 410gage View Post
    I just reread the Ohio laws pertaining to this subject. I think it would all hinge on wether or not the cameraman "AIDS OR ASSISTS" the hunter in ANY way. Does he whisper that a deer is in sight? Does he aid in blood tracking? Can he communicate with the shooter with intercom or cell phone, and use them to aid the hunter? This third item is illegal in any case at any time! But if he is aiding or assisting, I would guess the letter of the law says he needs a license.
    Before jumping on my interpretation, go read it yourself. You might see it a different way. Maybe some GWs can chime in on this one.
    That is the way I understand the Ohio regs also

Ya it is kind of a dumb rule in Iowa. Legally he shouldn't even spot deer for you, ie if he catches one out of the corner of his eye that you don't see he shouldn't tell you that one is coming.

Same as if I take my wife pheasant hunting she cant worked the dog she has to walk behind me so she doesn't flush birds. Duck hunting is the same as far as calling spotting birds.

I believe it's participating in the hunt or at least what it used to say in the books, participating sitting in a tree stand with a camera is not aiding your hunt...

Driving, calling is a different story but filming isn't hunting or participating

That makes no sense. . . The license is for hunting. . if the person is not in possession of a weapon, how can they "hunt"?
    By that logic, if someone fills their tags, and is done hunting for the year. . they cannot go out, sit in a pop-up blind alone, and try to call in deer to take pictures of them?

Good thing the laws don't work like that in Michigan, there would be a lot of illegal people. .

make no sense, we can party hunt with guns and after you fill your tag you can still hunt the whole season and shoot deer for other people, till everyone is tagged out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast