a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Deer Movement

New York Deer Movement

Has anybody else notice the buck movement has been slow here in Dutchess County? I think I have seen 3 small bucks. 1 spike, a small 4 pointer, six point and about 75 doe's since the season opened.

Bowtech Destroyer 350, 27" draw, 65 pounds, QAD HDX, Easton Flatline 400's, Peep, Treelimb Quiver 337 grains at 305fps

Was speaking with my father the other day, he and his 2 bowhunting buddies have seen very little so far. Very slow to say the least. This was in upstate NY around the Binghamton area. The good news is that the best couple weeks are right around the corner.
    Bear Agenda 6
    PSE DNA

South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
    My thinking is, we had a full moon for most of the first two weeks.. day time movement was slow... Now we are coming up to a great time to be in the woods... One other thing, if your area is like mine, you have a TON of acorns, that will keep deer from moving far from bedding areas....
    Shoot the buck first, then find out what he will really score.....

I was out opening weekend and didn't see a single deer. My brother-in-law whacked a doe on his property Sunday morning. All of our buck pictures are coming from non-shooting times, either late at night or early in the morning before 1st light.

I am hunting the Finger Lakes area, too.

i am hunting the southern tier, i have been out something like 5 afternoons and 2 mornings, i have seen only two bucks though and filled my tag on one of them. will be out filming for my buddy, and doe hunting this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mathew's Drenalin
    Great Plains Red River Recurve

Nice. I shoot a Drenalin too. Would love to take my first deer with a bow on it.

I've seen plenty of does. They don't seem too pressured. Something tore up some trees right by my tree stand, so I know they're there. Not chasing yet, judging from the passive attitude the does are displaying.

The wind has sucked this past week, and doesn't look like it's gonna simmer down until early next week around here.

Just got access to a small plot locally. Might let my big spot chill for a few days and see if I can pluck a doe out of this other spot. Need some meat!

Cove Valley is on farrrrrrr!
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cully View Post
    I've seen plenty of does. They don't seem too pressured. Something tore up some trees right by my tree stand, so I know they're there. Not chasing yet, judging from the passive attitude the does are displaying.

The wind has sucked this past week, and doesn't look like it's gonna simmer down until early next week around here.

Just got access to a small plot locally. Might let my big spot chill for a few days and see if I can pluck a doe out of this other spot. Need some meat!
    Winds look to be high by me too this weekend. 15-20 mph on Saturday and 10-15 mph on Sunday. Makes for a wild ride in the stand! I'm really glad I bought that HSS harness this year, too.

In Pa Im seeing alot of night time movement and chasing but not during daylight.

Been pretty slow but some monsters have been hittin the dirt. I had this guy 40 yards behind my tree at 6:30 am yesterday morning. All I could hear was sticks breaking but my camera caught him hitting a scrape.
    Its not about the kill, its the path you take to get there.

Hunted a honey hole this morning with a buddy in central Ulster Co. The place is torn up with new buck sign and trail cam pics to confirm what we are seeing on the ground. We sat till 10:45 and combined we saw 1 doe! It'll pick up Im sure!
    "when the turkeys aint gobblin.......it's tough to make em stop!"

Been hunting westchester seen alot of small bucks biggest being 85" 8 pt have let them all walk. Only seen some does about 60 lbs each hopeing to see some big ones this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc View Post
    Was speaking with my father the other day, he and his 2 bowhunting buddies have seen very little so far. Very slow to say the least. This was in upstate NY around the Binghamton area. The good news is that the best couple weeks are right around the corner.
    I can confirm this.

Been slow here too thursday sat from 6:30 til 10:00 no deer 2:00 til dark no deer
    PSE X-Force, G5 sight , QAD drop away , G-5 peep sight , Bohning 6 arrow quiver,
    Flatliner stab

I'll be out in Yates county next 2 weekends,a bad case of bursitis has me all doped up this weekend on vicodin and hydrocodon.....which isn't to bad.

here in columbia county not to far away from the dutchess county line I have seen a few bucks a 8 and a 6 and tonight a a doe came behind me and a little while later here comes a nice 4 pointer I grunted to him he looked but kept on going he was moving pretty good his head wasent down though and the doe went the other way my father seen the other night a decent 7 pointer with a doe 15 yards from him in the brush he couldent get a shot though they had him pinned Im sure its going to pick up here pretty quick best of luck

I'm in Ulster. The 5 deer I saw tonight made my total sighting 58 deer within 100 yards. Out of the 58 I've seen a nice 8, 2 small 6's, a small 5, a fork, and a handful of spikes.
    Team mongrel prostaff

Ive been hunting in Livingston county and it has been really slow. I too figured the full moon and bright nights would keep the day time movement to a minimal. But we are about to hit the magic time so Im pumped. Good luck to all.

Saw a bunch of does, a spike, and small 8 yesterday. Had a small buck grunting and following a scent trail on Thursday. It seems to be picking up. I'm in Orange County.

Opening weekend, I saw 7 different bucks and a bunch of does! I have 5 trail cams out and activity had been fairly high upto the first weekend. Last weekend, I only saw to 2 doe....the "October Lull" because of the full moon. I checked the trail cams last weekend and very few pictures. What pictures I did have were during the night or at daylight transition times. I will be checking cams today to see if activity has increased. If I was a betting man, I bet my cameras will have little activity on them still, however, things should pick up. Based on my research/information....

-Rutting activity should pick up this weekend for some hunters. Some areas will still be slow and some areas will be active. A small number of does may be coming in estrous this weekend/early this weekend which should increase bucks on the move.

-As we move through the week, daytime activity will pick up significantly. By the end of this week/next weekend, chasing should be starting to peeking and running into the following week. Depending on the buck ratio in your area, you may or may not see extensive chasing by next weekend.

There are tons of acorns in the woods this year. My nephew shot a buck opening weekend and the buck was full of acorns.

Good Luck All! I won't be in the woods until this afternoon!
    Hoyt National Staff Dead Centery Archery Products National Staff Victory Archery National Staff
    Bi-Delta Vanes National Staff Team Feather Vision Trophy Blend Scents Staff Viper Archery National Staff

mohonk preserve in New Paltz

Quote Originally Posted by B-G-K View Post
    I'm in Ulster. The 5 deer I saw tonight made my total sighting 58 deer within 100 yards. Out of the 58 I've seen a nice 8, 2 small 6's, a small 5, a fork, and a handful of spikes.
    Is the point system working there yet,do you still have to have 3pts. on one side.I miss hunting there,I run in to more people then deer now.I wished I could find some private land there to bow hunt.

Finally!

I was out for an evening hunt and actually saw something other then squirrels and chipmunks.

Highlight of the evening was a black bear. I was getting set up and heard a crash. I look up the hill and see a bear about 30 yards away. We stared at each other for a while and I nocked an arrow just in case. The bear then scrambled back up the hill. It looked to be trying to circle around me.

About 45 minutes later, I see it below me moving from my right to left. It lumbered across the flat, over some logs, and down a bank towards the creek.

Some time passes and it starts getting dark. I am just about to get down my tree and hear something. Up the trail come 2 young doe. They move about eating leaves. Being a novice, it was interesting to watch their behavior. I watch them for a while and let them pass. Eventually, they move up the hill.

I continue my descent and hear some more noise. A 3rd young doe pops up. I believe she either winded me or saw my silhouette because she gave a snort wheeze and off she went.

Again, being a novice and not having too much luck in even seeing deer, this was a great evening to be out.

Awesome!
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

Slow outside Syracuse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast