Archery Talk Forum banner

Bear Mauler or Mathews Mission Venture?

Which bow is better?

10K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Speedykills 
#1 ·
Howdy,

I'm looking to get into getting a new bow and this would be my 1st. I'm looking at getting the Ready To Hunt Bear Mauler 2011, or the Mathews mission venture. Which bow would be best considering quality, noise levels, etc... I've shot the venture and have to say its nice but haven't shot the Mauler but like the specs better but only a little bit. In about 2 weeks I'll be able to shoot the Mauler. Any advice and information would be great.

Thanks,
John

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/mauler/
http://missionarchery.com/Venture-bow.asp

#2 ·
Haven't seen the mauler but shot and really love the bear assault. The assault is the first bow that I have picked up and shot in two or three years that made me say wow. Really liked the grip and draw cycle on the bear

#4 ·
I've shot 6 bows and 4 brands but the Mathews stuck out to me the most. I have yet to shoot any Bear but ordered the Mauler at Gander Mnt. so I can shoot it and if i don't want it I can go with something else. It seems that the polls are telling me to go with a Mathews over a Bear, heh.

#8 ·
yea the carnage would be nice but $499 for the bow alone is my price limit, about $600-650 RTH. I guess the large fan base of Mathews makes the resell of any Mathews go up. I noticed the Bear Carnage has the roller system similar to the Mathews Venture I'm looking at, so would that be something to consider on the Mathews? It also has 3 silencers whereas the Bear Mauler only has 2. The 4 FPS IBO between the Mauler and the Venture shouldn't make to big of a difference. If anyone has shot the Assault, the Mauler looks like it would be very very similar in design and I'd imagine has the same feel. Guess I'll have to wait to shoot the Mauler before I make my decision, don't wanna rush out and get the Venture without shooting the Mauler, might get disappointed if the Mauler feels better.

#9 ·
I believe you shot a few bows at my shop yesterday. The best thing you can do is shoot them both and judge for yourself. Just pay attention to as many aspects as you can, such as draw, noise, back wall, valley, etc. Bear has been putting out some really nice products for the money, but I'm sure the Mission series is nice as well.

Good luck on your decision,
Mike.

#11 ·
Yea, I definitely am. I liked the Quests and such but the Mathews had a better feel, at least to me. The Mauler though looks at least on paper as good or better so I know I'm going to at least wait and shoot the Mauler. I can say though that for the time being, I'm am not biased on either the Bear brand or Mathews brand.

#12 ·
I will update you on the order next week after I talk to bear. They did say they where on back order but should have some made by the end of this week, so hopefully it won't take to long.

#13 ·
I just looked at the mauler on their page first time I saw it but looks nice. Have you considered looking in the classified? Theree are some great deals in there; and I know of atleast one company that has a transferable lifetime warranty, if your bow breaks on a hunt will have a temporary bow to you in 24hrs, and shoots awesome to boot. Just throwing it out there. Good luck in whatever you decide.

-Chuck

#14 ·
He is talking about Elite archery and yes, if you buy a used bow, get an elite.. awesome bows, transferable warranty. That is another option.

#15 ·
I have no experience with Mathews, but for the money, Bear's lower priced bows are just as good as the higher end one. I shoot a lower priced bear and the only difference between mine and a Truth 2 is 1 string stop, and they dont cut as much weight out of the riser. They dont skimp on the important stuff just because its a cheaper bow. And as has been said in another thread, their CS at Bear is top notch. Theyve over-nighted me spare parts Ive asked about, like rubber stoppers, cable rod, just stuff Ive asked to buy to have extra of, they stuffed in an envelope and sent it out free.

#17 ·
First off, you cant go wrong with either a Bear or a Mathews bow. I have owned both and although I prefer Bear better, there is nothing wrong with a Mission bow.
If Mikegb88 is your local dealer, you have nothing to fear. I am fond of his posts and insight from this website for quite a long time and think he will get you shooting a good setup in no time.

#19 ·
I have recently shot both, and both are great. Mission has a smoother draw cycle (at least in my opinion) but I thought the bear was a bit quieter. Both felt much smoother than the similarly priced diamond outlaw and Martin Ridgehunter. I ended up buying the Mission due to the solid back wall and just felt right in the hand. In my opinion when looking at bows in the same price range produced by different companies you seldom will find that one is hands down better than the other. Personally I would choose whichever brand is sold by your local archery shop. The advantage of getting advice and service from a locally owned shop (over a chain retailer) is far more significant than the tiny advantages one bow may have other another. Good luck and I'm sure you will love whichever you choose.

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.