Thread: Why didn't they smell us?

Why didn't they smell us?

Yesterday AM me and my 11 year old daughter were in our ladder stand. It was just starting to break dawn when I looked at her and she looked like something was wrong. When I asked her what it was she said she had too many problems. I laughed and asked like what? She said she felt sick, she was cold and she had to go to bathroom. I had been in the stand the night before and seen 2 good bucks. I told her just hold on because we had just heard a buck grunting and leaves rustling a few yards away in the woods. The next thing I know she is pulling down her facemask and starts puking over the side of the stand!! I can't believe it I think well we are done now.I could smell the vomit 15 feet up in the tree. I started calling trying to cover up the sound of her throwing up and the buck starts growling at us. I look left and there is a nice 8 point coming straight towards us I get her attention and she is up ready for the shot. At 2o yards she takes the shot. Right over his back he bolts off to no mans land, and she is devastated. I said it's early lets just sit a while. I can still smell the vomit of course. I start calling again and coming towards us now from the right is another buck, this one a 9 pointer. He comes within 10 yards of us and she lets him have it. We waited about 30 mins. climbed down and trailed him 60 yards away dead as a hammer. Now did they not smell her puke or have I just discovered the next deer attractant? Either way what an exciting am and this was her first deer.

Attached Images Attached Images
    QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT
    GOLD TIP EXPEDITION HUNTER ARROWS
    GRIM REAPER WHITETAIL SPECIALS

Where i hunt here in GA, me and my hunting buddy walk right down the trail with no cover scent and sit inside with our cloths on 30 mins before we leave. every morning we have deer walk on teh trail and graze and don't pay attention that we just walked there 30 mins ago. I'm beginning to wonder about all this scent stuff. Just thoughts.

Congrats by the way!!
    Elite Judge
    ELITE GTO ninja
    Elite Answer "Snow"

Wow!
    That is a truly disgusting story, but congrats to your daughter for overcoming all the issues and still having the wits about her to close the deal.
    LONESOME ELK ARCHERY TERRE HAUTE IN.
    Look Well to the East

Thanks man. I only wash my camo clothes if I get blood and guts on them and I rarely have a deer smell me. No cover scent , except this time ( daughters breakfast) Always see deer maybe I am just lucky. But rather be lucky any day.
    QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT

congrats!! ... sounds like she might have been a little nervous - glad it turned out right
    >>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

Great first deer! Sounds like a tough young'un you got there. Congrats to her!
    2013 Bear Empire - 27.5" @ 60#'s
    NAP Sizzor
    Copper John Dead Nuts Hunter
    CHL Vibe Killer
    Vapor Trail

which way was the wind blowing?

[QUOTE=IlBowhunt;1059178423]which way was the wind blowing?[/Q
    Wind was dead calm.
    QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT

Damn, she's a trooper!
    '09 Martin Bengal
    Trophy Taker Xtreme SL
    Tru-Ball T-handle
    Copper John Dead Nuts

Good kid you have there way to go. Two questions. What did she have for breakfast? Can she duplicate the some vomit sound on tape? Way to go!

Congrats to you and your Daughter. She sounds like a real hunter to stick it out and make the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mplane72 View Post
    good kid you have there way to go. Two questions. What did she have for breakfast? Can she duplicate the some vomit sound on tape? Way to go!
    i think it was captain crunch cereal. And ill try to record it next time thanks.
    QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT

LOL @ the fact you called to cover up the sound of your daughter throwing and then she was ready for the shot. You two were dedicated and it payed off. Nice buck for the little one.

QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT

Off to the taxidermist she is still excited
    QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT