Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best penetrating broadhead?

best penetrating broadhead?

hey i was wondering what broadhead has the most penetration?
    Im shooting 50# and i think i need some more penetration than what i have right now. expandables, dad thinks open blade broadheads are too dangerous for a 14 y/o to use. lol. but he said that i can buy fixed when i get my own money. so i am asking what do u guys think is the best penetrating broadhead out there right now.

Don't think you can go wrong with Muzzys. Using 3 blade 100's and have had real good luck. Shooting 55#
    Elite Z28 and Barnsdale My Addiction

thanks man Ive been lookin at the four blade heads but they look like they would be a pain to tune. how about your 3 blades did you have to work very hard to tune the bow

expandables with 50lb draw weight ain't such a good idea. I would be thinking about the 85 grain montec G5 or some other sharp to the point broadhead like those from steelforce. Those will give you much better penetration.
    <+><

thanks wel my dad is the one who made me get expandibles and i told him that they wouldnt do so good. but u no dads what they say is the law

I know where he is comming from. I hate even messing with the titanium 75 grain steel force heads on my wife's arrows. They are so dang sharp I have a hard time not cutting myself. All of those I listed are not to be toyed with they would have to be treated with the highest respect or they would bite
    <+><

but how much would i have to ajust my bow changing from 100 to 85 grain

Penetration

Shooting 50 pounds I would stick with a 2 or 3 blade. Cut on contact would probably be best. Steelforce, or Stingers would work great. I shoot Slick Tricks, and highly recommend them, but I am not sure at 50lbs they would be your best choice.

I agree with the 2 blade opinion

I have struggled with passthroughs for a while.. I have a short draw and you just loose a lot of your "power" stroke. I was VERY skeptical that a 2 blade like the steelforce or stingers would fly right, but they are the best flying broadheads I have ever shot. Just like my field points. I have used a bunch, muzzy, rocky mountain, etc... I strongly urge you to try the cut on impact 2 blades. there is just a lot less resistance .. I think you will love them!!!

Take a look at these. I shot the larger ones at 55 lbs. for years and never had a failure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Never had one stop in the animal.

I use grimreaper mech. and have never had one not pass though the animal. I shot 2 mully's and a elk this year and the elk, I hit quartering away and blew though the sholder plate on the way out. They get the job done. Mussy's are good too.
    "YOU CAN"T GRILL IT, TILL YOU KILL IT", UNCLE TED
    Martin Savannah 55#, OPM Adirondack Htr Dlx 55#, 615gr. Purple Heart Taper footed wood arrows

I shoot 3 blade 100 grain Muzzy's and have had great penetration on deer at 55# including using a older, slower bow. Cut on impact will probably give the most penetration but I never saw the need for them due to how well Muzzy's have worked for me.

Check out the Razorback head by NAP. A guy I hunt with works for Bass Pro here in MO, adn he talked to Jerry Martin about a Caribou hunt he went on with Bob Foulkrod up in Alaska. They said these heads hit the same place as their field points on every shot, and they got pass throughs on every animal. They claimed that Bob even set up the guides son with a bow pulling 30 pounds I believe, and he even got a pass through on a bou. Something to be said for that. I'd check into them!!!

Montec G-5 3 blades will fly great, cut a good hole, leave a good blood trail.

2 blade cut on contact design is best for lighter poundage! JMHO
    DannyG

Good mechanical...

I don't use it, but I think you'd do pretty well with a Rocky Mtn. Snyper or Gator. They both have a cut on contact tip and have two blades. Most guys here can attest to the effectivness of the Snyper (it seems to be the favorite Mech. on Archerytalk).

I'd try to stick with the 2 blade, cut on contact tip for your set-up (if your Dad is making you use mechs.). On a side note, I think the Snyper is one of the more expensive mechs. out there, so he'll have to pony up the extra $$$.... might be a little "smirk" value for you.

That's my 2 cents worth.... good luck in your hunting.

-ZA206
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

The Montechs Are It For Penetration, Many People Are Having A Hard Times Finding Arrows After Shooting Deer Because They Keep Going Another 20 Yds Past. A Buddy Of Mine Shot A Doe This Year With 53 Lbs At 23 Yds And Passed Through Both Shoulders With The G-5 100's.They are just a little tricky to sharpen.

I have a 26" draw and shoot a old 2002 Ultratec CC+ with Lightspeed arrows and 75 gr 3 blade Muzzy's. Total Arrow weight is a light 320 Gr and speed is 272. This setup blows through whitetail like they weren't even there. Have had nothing but complete passthroughs with arrow buried in ground 3".
    Keys to penetration are shaft dia (small as you can get) and properly tuned shaft/broadhead/bow. The arrow needs to come out of your bow as perfectly straight as you can make it. When the shaft hits the animal you don't want a arrow that is fishtailing side to side or porposing up and down. Anything arrow that is not traveling straight ahead wastes energy on entry. Tune your equipment well and you get the results you want. Oh yeah, pick a smaller size broadhead, something that fits easily between ribs. You won't have enough KE to blow a 2" dia hole in something.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2014!!!!

thanks guys i am debating between muzzy 3 blade , nap nitron, and the montec g-5 in 85 grains. what will be the difference accuracy wise switching from 100 to 85 grain. i plan to shoot hogs also so there might be a need for 100 grain heads there? i shot a ram with an expandible and he only ran 20 yrds. but i think i will go to fixed for some bigger blood trails. thanks for the advice guys i will still take some if there is any more left

If you limited to a Mechanical choice, I would personally go with either a Rocket Steel head 100 or the Grim Reaper. Both are reknowned for great flight and good penetration. Also another super penetrating Mech is the Rocky Mountain Snyper.

Stay away from Spitfires with light poundage. Spitfires are probably the best flying head ever made, but requires a little more power to pass thru due to the design. NAP has improved the spitfire this year and added a cut on contact point(spitfire XP), which should make it penetrate a whole lot better.

The problem with the original spitfire is the ferrule had no way to cut on the point and most of the ferrule had to wedge its way thru hide/bone until it reached the blades rather than cut, with the new cutting point this should remedy the issue nicely.

Many people thought the lack of penetration was due to the energy to open the blades(as they snap in rather than use rubber bands) however I have tested this on various objects in which the blades were "fixed" open and the same penetration depths were met. I am glad to see the XP get the cutting point. NAP's last attempt to improve the spitfires penetration was the shockwave and although it penetrates a little better, it is more of a wedge than cutting.

I think the spitfire xps would be a good choice, I thing that the Rockets with the chisel point or the cutting blades would be good, and of course the grim reapers.
    Just another hunter in the woods

yea but i want to go to fixed. i really think my setup is alot better off on making a clean shot with fixed i have been forced to pass on deer that were quartering away because of fear of deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by chainranch
    thanks guys i am debating between muzzy 3 blade , nap nitron, and the montec g-5 in 85 grains. what will be the difference accuracy wise switching from 100 to 85 grain. i plan to shoot hogs also so there might be a need for 100 grain heads there? i shot a ram with an expandible and he only ran 20 yrds. but i think i will go to fixed for some bigger blood trails. thanks for the advice guys i will still take some if there is any more left
    Unless you are really used to sharpenning broadheads stay away from the G5s. (very accurate head but REAL tough to get shaving sharp)
    NAP Nitron, I'm not totally familiar with it but it looks like the blade angle is pretty steep and it only comes in 100 gr.
    My advice is to try a 75 gr muzzy. Since they are small and light they don't plane very much at all.

Your accuracy shouldn't be affected by dropping point weight to 85 or 75 gr but you will have to resight in your bow. The lighter heads will hit higher than what you are used to but that is why you spent the money for a moveable sight.
    "Odocoileus Virginianus"-Mother Nature's original fast food
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm way smarter than you Juan.
    Steelers in 2014!!!!

haha lol yea thats true. gosh i love it here

Then that is a simple choice...Muzzy's, Thunderheads, or if you have the money...Barrie Ti100's.

All 3 are exceptional heads, fly great, and penetrate well.
    The new "short" heads like nitron, and crossfire etc, are great flying but probably have a little less penetration.
    Older heads like the Bear Razorhead /Lite etc, are exceptional penetrators but are hard to spin balance because of the tip.

You should also consider what you can get replacement blades etc for before you commit to a head. Thunderheads, Muzzy's are the most popular and probably the easiest to find blades etc. If it were my choice between these two I would go with the Thunderheads, as I feel they are "sharper" and fly a hair better because they are a little more vented than the Muzzy's. The Thunderhead 85 is an extrememly good flying head, as it has good vents, shorter like the newer heads but not a steep blade angle.

What length arrow are you shooting? if you are shooting under a 28" inch shaft I would go with the 100 grn. if you are shooting a 29" or longer I would lean towards the 85 grn. Of course this is all just my personal preferences.
    Just another hunter in the woods

just a ? but why would you shoot a lighter head if ur arrow is longer? oh by the way im shootin 28in arrows

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast