Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noel Feather: Where is he now?

Noel Feather: Where is he now?

I'm almost hate to ask this, but I'm curious about where Noel is and what he's doing now?

I have always been a big fan of "old school" bowhunting videos (I hate most of the high fence infomercials with a passion!!!), and his are still some of my favorites. I remember when he got busted for doing what he did back in the day and understand why he quit making videos. However, it seems like he fell off the face of the planet and hasn't been heard from in almost 20 years. Does anyone around here happen to still talk to him?

I bought his signature bow when it came out in 92 by Alpine. He was busted by a game warden that lives in my home town. I sure hated to hear that he had got caught doing what he did. I would also like to know where he is now. I never have held anything against him people make mistakes.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 28"/65lb
    Spot-Hogg Hunter 7 pin wrapped sight, Limbdriver Pro Rest, Treelimb Premium Quiver
    Custom Strings by Gene Kossuth @ Genes Strings 1-573-578-0309

I have thought about hime from time to time also. First met him back in the early 80's and he had a full body mount of a buck that was CRAZY big....didn't he reside around Sterling, Illinois ?
    Hoyt Alphamax 35
    Muzzy BH
    Fuse Quiver

what did he do?
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

Something like, shooting a deer in Mo. and crossing state line and tried to tag it as an Il. buck (I think)....anyway, some sort of game violations (might have been a penned deer also)
    Hoyt Alphamax 35
    Muzzy BH
    Fuse Quiver

I loved his videos and we kept them going at our shop in the late 80's early 90's. One of my favorite kills was a big buck he shot straight down in the snow. Buck just kind of stood there wondering what that thud was. Blood was pouring on the snow and the ol' boy never knew what hit him. Good memories for sure.

I think Noel got caught crossing state lines w/ a deer from another state but I'm not sure. Ain't heard from him since. For the record,,, The Old School videos from the late 80's and early 90's when bowhunting was exploding and we were all still figuring bowhunting out,, was the best videos EVER.
    BOWTECH Destroyer 350 10/08/10 290 fps at 65 lbs
    BOWTECH Allegiance 65lb 09/15/05 270 fps at 62 lbs
    NAP 360 Capture Rest, TrophyRidge Tritium Sight-1 Pin
    Apex Quiver, BOWTECH Stabilizer, Tru-Peep Super size
    Easton Axis 340's, GATORJAW release, (user name)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorjaw View Post
    I loved his videos and we kept them going at our shop in the late 80's early 90's. One of my favorite kills was a big buck he shot straight down in the snow. Buck just kind of stood there wondering what that thud was. Blood was pouring on the snow and the ol' boy never knew what hit him. Good memories for sure.

I think Noel got caught crossing state lines w/ a deer from another state but I'm not sure. Ain't heard from him since. For the record,,, The Old School videos from the late 80's and early 90's when bowhunting was exploding and we were all still figuring bowhunting out,, was the best videos EVER.
    too bad they dont show them on the hunting channels anymore
    HomeMade SlingShot
    Ball Bearings
    Speed of Light fps

Quote Originally Posted by staggyd View Post
    I have thought about hime from time to time also. First met him back in the early 80's and he had a full body mount of a buck that was CRAZY big....didn't he reside around Sterling, Illinois ?
    I have heard he lives in Illinois, but I couldn't tell you what county. The word from the grapevine is that he finally got his hunting privileges back a few years ago and that he bought his own place to hunt. I read online of a few recent encounters with him by other hunters who all claimed he was super friendly and eager to talk about bowhunting.

I was pretty floored by the incident when I first heard about it. In those days, I was in junior high and just getting into bowhunting. Back then the number of people chasing whitetails with a bow was a fraction of what it is today, and he always felt like a "founding father" of the sport to me. He sure let a lot of people down.

Quote Originally Posted by cujrh10 View Post
    too bad they dont show them on the hunting channels anymore
    Speaking of that, does anyone know a good place to find the classics on dvd? My old VHS tapes have had it.

Noel lives in Carroll County Illinois-about 13 miles from where I grew up. He still goes to the same Archery shop my brother goes to in a very small town-The Archery Den in Coleta Illinois to be exact. Nice enough guy, pretty humble. Still a bowhunting machine and has forgotten more about killing huge whitetails than most will learn in a lifetime.
    Mathews Mafia

I go afield with great aspirations of finding my quarry, and always return with a sense of having found myself.

Good for him. Everyone deserves a second chance. Liked his videos too.
    07' Bowtech Ally 28"DL @ 55# = 392grns @ 250fps: G5 Meta,Sword Twilight Hunter,Limbdriver, Control Freak Stabilizer

150# Horton Yukon SL with Horton Multi Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorjaw View Post
    The Old School videos from the late 80's and early 90's when bowhunting was exploding and we were all still figuring bowhunting out,
    Define we and all?

Bowhunting has been big around these parts for a lot longer than the late 80's.

I'm pretty sure the Native Americans had bowhunting figured out long before that.

I'm thinking he meant modern bowhunting. Noel brought a lot of techniques to the mainstream that were unheard of back then .he got in trouble because he shot a high fence deer and the place didn't have their permits or whatever in order ,so he tryed to cover his butt and tag the deer at home.
    The world was not given to us by our parents , it was loaned to us by our children.

Quote Originally Posted by vabownut View Post
    I'm thinking he meant modern bowhunting. Noel brought a lot of techniques to the mainstream that were unheard of back then .he got in trouble because he shot a high fence deer and the place didn't have their permits or whatever in order ,so he tryed to cover his butt and tag the deer at home.
    WOW! Somebody actually knows what REALLY happened.

Well, you are close anyhow.........Noel is a good man, and a big buck killing machine.
    1960 Bear Grizzly 48@28"/Spigarelli BB 25" w/ SF Ultimate Pro medium limbs 40# @ 28"/2013 Wes Wallace Mentor 46@ 28"/Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" hybrid longbow 46@ 28"/DAS Dalaa 21" w/SF Premium Carbon 46# @ 28"

I grew up knowing Noel, in fact, I set up his 1st meeting with an Archery Co. to be put on their Bowhunting staff. back when I was in the Archery Business (mid 60s till 80s). he was & probably still is a good guy to talk with. he made mistakes but had little to do with locals as many knew of "other" incidents. The local club back then used to do an annual trip to Norhtern Ws. for a week back in the late 50s, 60s & I was at a couple of those. Unfrotunatly, he seemed to get caught up in the celeb thing. The investigation took on a little more than the Game Warden who broke the case & several other things came about. He had at least 1 full mounted animal confiscated & some other Whitetail stuff. I competed against him & he was one heck of a shot. I was a freind of his at one time but things happen in life to change situations. he was a great shooter, good all around fella & I felt sorry for what he went through but justice was done.
    I've included an old article that was done in the 80s locally about him & I & the different directiions we took & achieved in Archery & Bowhunting. Not sure it will even show. I also know Larry (Owner of the Archery Den) though I live away from that area now. I was (back then) a Rep. in the Illinois Archery Assn. several years (Bowhunting & target), Archery shop/Lanes owner nearly 20 years, every office held in local Club many times & traveled all over Ill., Ia & Ws. touny shooting. i'll be 69 in a few short weeks & still bowhunting (Noel is at least 4 years older than I). 2010 starts my 54th year of Bowhunting & just took an Antelope in Wy. in Aug. on DIY hunt (story to be in an upcoming issue of National Bowhunter Magazine). Chasing big Ia. Whitetails right now with little success. I have been on a Bowhunting journy & personally, I know lots about many Bowhunting idols that I will take to my grave...
    Always Thankful

the february 1995 issue of bowhunting world talk's about NOEL FEATHER and DON LEWIS .. noel killed two deer's over the limit in dec 91 and jan 92 in texas.. he also admitted to shooting three deer in missouri. with out permits and transporting them illegally to his illinois home... don lewis was convicted of poaching elk in yellow stone. he was arrested in utah with illegally taken mule deer .... WORM WORM

The Texas deer did not come into play in his final arrest & convictions as they were past the statute of limitations according to local news (they definatly carried this as it was BIG NEWS about a kinda local small town hunting celeb.
    Several "other" species came into play. The confiscated ones were animals that tags & registration tags could not be confirmed. One was a fully mounted Mountain Goat. Unfortunatly, many rumors fly but being a local at that time, you see, read many more facts. It was not good for Noel or hunting but as I said, justice was done.
    Always Thankful

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    WOW! Somebody actually knows what REALLY happened.

Well, you are close anyhow.........Noel is a good man, and a big buck killing machine.
    So what really happened? I have heard so many different stories that I'm not quite sure myself?

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter55 View Post
    I grew up knowing Noel, in fact, I set up his 1st meeting with an Archery Co. to be put on their Bowhunting staff. back when I was in the Archery Business (mid 60s till 80s). he was & probably still is a good guy to talk with. he made mistakes but had little to do with locals as many knew of "other" incidents. The local club back then used to do an annual trip to Norhtern Ws. for a week back in the late 50s, 60s & I was at a couple of those. Unfrotunatly, he seemed to get caught up in the celeb thing. The investigation took on a little more than the Game Warden who broke the case & several other things came about. He had at least 1 full mounted animal confiscated & some other Whitetail stuff. I competed against him & he was one heck of a shot. I was a freind of his at one time but things happen in life to change situations. he was a great shooter, good all around fella & I felt sorry for what he went through but justice was done.
    I've included an old article that was done in the 80s locally about him & I & the different directiions we took & achieved in Archery & Bowhunting. Not sure it will even show. I also know Larry (Owner of the Archery Den) though I live away from that area now. I was (back then) a Rep. in the Illinois Archery Assn. several years (Bowhunting & target), Archery shop/Lanes owner nearly 20 years, every office held in local Club many times & traveled all over Ill., Ia & Ws. touny shooting. i'll be 69 in a few short weeks & still bowhunting (Noel is at least 4 years older than I). 2010 starts my 54th year of Bowhunting & just took an Antelope in Wy. in Aug. on DIY hunt (story to be in an upcoming issue of National Bowhunter Magazine). Chasing big Ia. Whitetails right now with little success. I have been on a Bowhunting journy & personally, I know lots about many Bowhunting idols that I will take to my grave...

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to share the article. I figured someone on here would actually know the guy.

Wasn't Noel buddies with Dan Fitzgerald?
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

Yeah, they used to make videos together. In my opinion, Dan was way cooler back then. Him and his son drive me crazy now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M4YM...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWyld View Post
    Noel lives in Carroll County Illinois-about 13 miles from where I grew up. He still goes to the same Archery shop my brother goes to in a very small town-The Archery Den in Coleta Illinois to be exact. Nice enough guy, pretty humble. Still a bowhunting machine and has forgotten more about killing huge whitetails than most will learn in a lifetime.
    dude seriously i live less than 10mins from the archery den thats insane i live in morrison il in whiteside county.

05 hoyt vipertec, fuse stabilizer and quiver, easton infused axis arrows, slick trick magnum 100gr

Boy, I wouldn't put Noel in the Don Lewis category at all. I didn't know him personally but have talked to him and that guy was one heck of a hunter. Don Lewis is just a poacher- shooting stuff with a rifle and claiming a bowkill.

Noel must have got caught up in the "Trophy hunting" thing because the deal I remember that really sunk him was buying a big buck from a breeder- high fence operation- and transporting across state lines to shoot in another state, trying to get the record or something.

I may have it slightly wrong since it was many years ago.
    "You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear
    “We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.” ― Oscar Wilde
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ― Margaret Mead

Noel lived outside Morrison a few years back. I think he's right next to Lake Carroll residential area with TONs of deer. Imagine that...he & Fitzgerald kinda teamed up together for awhile on the videos when they 1st started. Dan has always been a little "different". (Only my opinion).
    I have several other articles-just have no idea where they might be...Noel & I used to do exibituions way back when in the local area for different events (70s). You have to understand-I was in the business & active in all kinds of Archery/Bowhunting & he was well known for his Bowhunting so being a small town, we knew each other well. As a person, Noel is an all around good guy.
    Photo is the local club on their annual week long Bowhunt at Thraps in Vilas County Ws. near Woodruff. Noel is in the center next to lady (Marilyn) with a Buck. I think this was in 1958 or 59.
    Always Thankful

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Bowhunter View Post
    dude seriously i live less than 10mins from the archery den thats insane i live in morrison il in whiteside county.
    HA! It's a small world-I grew up in Milledgeville.
    Mathews Mafia

I go afield with great aspirations of finding my quarry, and always return with a sense of having found myself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast