Archery Talk Forum banner

Review of Sitka Gear for Whitetail Hunters

27K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Wired To Hunt 
#1 ·
I know lots of people on AT post questions about whether Sitka gear is worth paying the big $s for and asking about reviews, etc. So I thought I would share my recent review with AT. Sitka sent me a full set of Sitka Gear to test this year while hunting whitetails and after the first month of my season, Ive posted my first review...

In summary, ive been really happy, but do have a few qualms. And also, the Forest Optifade has worked INCREDIBLY. Myself and my two cameramen have been wearing it..and not one of us has been spotted hunting or filming yet! And we have a lot of hours in the stand between the three of us.

You can check out the full review here...

My Whitetail Sitka System

#2 ·
Nice review. I'm new to the Sitka Gear but am impressed with the pieces that I've bought so far. I ordered the Stratus jacket, Stratus bibs, Kelvin vest, and 90% pants. Here are my thoughts on them so far after a dozen or so hunts.

Sizing ... maybe it is me but the stuff is sized way small, IMO. I have a 50" chest, the bottom of the sizing for the 2XL Stratus jacket and I had to send it back for a 3XL because it was too tight for anything more than a T-shirt under it. I'm still waiting on my 3XL jacket to be sent to me, so I can't comment on the jacket as of yet. Same kind of goes for my 90% pants. I have a 40" waist and the pants just barely fit. I decided to keep them and try to shed a couple pounds (wouldn't hurt really). I've worn them and I do like them and will like them more if I can drop 10# or so.

It hasn't been bitter cold here yet, but the other morning it was about 35 degrees. I hunted with the Stratus bibs over a thin base layer for the bottoms. For my top, since I still don't have a jacket, I hunted the Kelvin vest over a thin base layer, a mid weight meniro wool top, and a long sleeve plain jane hunting shirt. Honestly, I never got cold ... but the wind wasn't blowing either.

So far I'm liking the overall design, the pockets, the quality of construction, and I LOVE the camo pattern. My biggest disappointment is the sizing just seems way off. Which is frustrating given what you pay for it and the fact that for me, shipping is 4 to 5 days each direction, so replacing a jacket with a new size is at least a 2 week process.

I'm planning on adding to my Sitka stuff soon with more items. I'm really interested in the Incinerator coat and bibs for really cold weather. Spendy, but I think they will be worth it.

#5 ·
My review [ Note; not paid by Sitka or given their gear]

Sitka is great stuff where you need technical clothing like on a mountain hunt. For whitetail hunting in a tree stand, its not only overkill but there are much better -read WOOL- layered clothing available at a much lower price point

#6 ·
also my opinion!!

Sitka is great stuff....but to the average hunter...it beyond overkill. stand sitting is all about staying warm while sitting still...which wool, fleece, and some cotton clothing can do a much better job at a cheaper price to the consumer.

again...Sitka is great stuff but crazy expensive for sitting in a treestand.

#11 ·
The four pieces that I bought were about $950. Expensive ... yep. But I'm sick of bulky clothing. I've bought and sold more camo (both junk and quality) in the past 20 years than I care to admit. I want wind proof and zero bulk when I'm bow hunting. I'm hoping that my Sitka stuff pans out in the long run. But as to the price, look at the current prices on quality coats in any Cabela's catalog. $250 and more is not uncommon on any coat or even bibs. I honestly don't think the Sitka prices are that out of line. Yea they are on the high side, but if it is what you want and have the money ... why not.

#12 ·
i to have the whole sitka line and i love every piece of it...(accent 14 day pack is sweet btw).... as far as sizing goes, i think they go for a more athletic fit so if that doesnt meet you then yes you are going to be complaining about the sizing...but as for me i love the way it fits and i think most ppl that fit into the "atheletic fit" category will agree that the fitting is awesome! Camo is sweet as well, almost like deer can't even see you...Sitka is worth every penny in my book. just my two cents...

#15 ·
I do not have any of the new 2010 Sitka gear I have last years and the year before, Worked great for me for all species of game. Just the other day Iwas in an apple tree shaking it so some of the apples would fall out of the tree & I had wht deer with in 3 feet of me evan after eating the apples to little bucks bedded down about 15 yards away from the tree So does it work by all means is it worth the money yes. I can climb run jump hike heck I can evan slide down a snow covered mtn. and not rip them up. No tears @ all a story for differnt day. Great thread thanks for posting it.

#19 ·
I just got mine today. Fit is more tapered than the traditional baggie hunting clothes. Sizes seem to run on the lower end for the chest shoulder room but big in the pants. The people that design for Sitka have to have sticks for arms. The Kelvin is real tight in the bicep / shoulder area. The stuff is thin and light. Have to give it a trial run Thursday and see how it goes in the woods. So far I'm impressed.

#20 ·
Couple follow up thoughts ... Yes, the Sitka Gear is pricey and for some hunters it's way over board. That said, if you are the hunter who is in the woods 20+ days a year and will be hunting for many years to come, I can see investing in a Sitka Suit making financial sense. Even as a treestand hunter, I believe the quality/functionality difference that I see with my Sitka is noticeable and worthwhile. Especially now with the Fanatic Line of gear, Sitka is introducing some truly high end whitetail specific gear. Super durable, weather hardy, quiet/comfortable, very functional, not bulky and near invisible in Forest Optifade. For all these reasons I am a big fan of Sitka for whitetails. That said, in the interest of full disclosure Sitka is a sponsor of my website, and I have received some free gear. But on the other hand I have also supplemented this gear by purchasing more Sitka with my own money. I also have a good number of folks that I hunt with who have gone ahead and bought their own Sitka gear, and are very happy with the decision.

So all that said, it's definitely not for everyone. But if you're an avid hunter, who is really going to hunt hard and get their money's worth - I think Sitka is a great option.

#24 ·
WI Buck Chaser - They announced a new early season pant for whitetail hunters at the ATA show last week, but I think there may be more getting announced at the SHOT show over the next couple days. Will keep you guys posted if/when I hear more!

On a side note, and related to what "Trial" said. This original post was from more than 2 years ago, since then I too have begun wearing the Fanatic bibs/jacket and would have to agree with Trial. They are really ideal for whitetails. With that said, my original post is kind of out of date - so if you want my review on the Sitka Fanatic/Bib which is my whitetail system now - you can read that review here ... Review of Sitka Fanatic Jacket/Bibs

#25 ·
To "Panick"s point, I think in a lot of cases you're right. And that's why I'm a fan of the Sitka stuff, because they took the technology, materials, design,etc that was being used in more technical apparel for mountaineering/backpacking/etc and brought it to hunting.

There are a number of companies doing this now, so I'm trying to say Sitka is your only option, but I'm a fan of the overall trend. I think it's great to see a lot of high quality options popping up, and Sitka just happens to be the right one for me.

#26 ·
I sale or have sold every brand of hunting clothing and Sitka Gear is one if not the best designed hunting gear I have used. Its not cheap made and they didnt cut corners like Many brands that are very popular. Most consumer's dont really know what went into making good camo and most think its just the material its made from on the outside but its not. Most people will just say its over priced but really its not. Your just getting your moneys worth with sitka gear. Alot of Top end companies are now trying to copy sitka's design and make there camo similar to the eye but its really not near as good. When you can wear clothing that is half as thick and fits to your body like it should and keep you warmer than the thick over stuffed camo is a huge plus for me. .

#31 ·
It's been a few years since I wrote the article featured at the beginning of this thread, and today I just published an updated and much more comprehensive review of all the Sitka items I've used for whitetail hunting over the past 4 years.

It covers the Fanatic, Stratus, Kelvin, Downpour, and 90% suits - as well as a number of accessories. Hope it's helpful for anyone out there looking to try some Sitka! Here's the link ...

Gear Review: Sitka Gear for Whitetails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.