Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best light, small diameter, tough hunting arrow????

North Dakota soon to be Coeur d' alene Idaho

Best light, small diameter, tough hunting arrow????

I will be purchasing an 011 70 lb omen pro in a little while, and want to get the most speed posible for my short draw. My question is what arrow will be best. The draw is 27 and half, and arrows will be cut to 28 and quarter. Is there an arrow that is light, and small diameter or atleast not fat like the gold tip ultras, that is tough enough for hunting? If so what is it. I am shooting an axe 6 at the same specs, with axis 340's and am unhappy with the huge arc at longer distances. Thanks

Easton Lightspeeds or Flatlines
    Strother Inspire- Control Freak X rods- Limb Driver- Sword- Tru Ball- Easton Axis- G5 Montecs

victory vaps
    Xtreme Stabilization Pro Staff/Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter/Victory Archery Advisory Staff

Exceed 300 Orange/black
    Ibex All Black

GT Velocity, Victory Vaps, or Easton Flatlines
    2011 Bowtech Invasion
    Scottie/PA-SH Archery

Lighter does not necessarily equal flat.....

Quote Originally Posted by passinthrough12 View Post
    Easton Lightspeeds or Flatlines
    Both of them will have a bigger arc at longer distances. Lighter arrows have more arc at longet distances. Its a simple physics.
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Victory Pro Staff shooter
    Posten so the spot doesnt move.
    Level 3 community coach

axis full metal jackets, not light but deffinatly gets the job done. when you make a bad shot with those babies (and we all do once in a while)you will be very happy to have a little extra weight working for you. simply unstoppable with good broadhead on the end of it.
    Last edited by flailer; November 5th, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: mistake

Easton Flatline's.... Been hunting with them 2 years now with no problems.
    GO GATORS!!

If you are just wanting to go un-necessarily small, you could get any of the following and get some outserts made. X10's, Navigator or navigator Fmj, Carbon One's, or nano's.... The thought has crossed my mind just for the hell of it.... Would make for a very small diamter but still heavy arrow. You'd be looking at anywhere from 200 to over 500$ a dozen by the time you got them setup depending on what shaft you used....

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm going to buy some Victory Nano 350's. AKA VAP. or Victory Armour Piercing. See link.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/09/03/v...ry-vap-arrows/

I'm currently using Victory Vforce HV 350's. Very light and I get pass throughs easily on deer, but they're not very tough. About half of them survive deer kills. At 330 grains they drop about 8" less than 380 grain arrows at 50 yards. I shoot my Omen at 58# with 28" cams. At 70# you'll probably need 300 spined shafts and they haven't come out with 300 spine VAP's yet. I heard they will be coming soon. I have some Vforce HV 300's at 28 1/2" with 2" fusions, pin nocks and 100 grain tips and they weigh in at 342 grains. They are only a couple fps slower and slightly tougher than my 350's. By the way, you could get a lighter and stiffer spine by reducing the length of your arrows. 28 1/4 seems too long for your draw length. You might be able to get away with 350 spines if you trim down to 26 or 27" shafts.

if your draw is 27 inches you should be able to get an arrow around 25-26 inches. if u want light, strong, flat and durable go with goldtips. i shoot xt hunters. love them. mine are 25.3 inches long and run at 350 grains out of a fairly slow bow by todays standards and shoot very flat compared to some others. i use 100 grain tips

victory vaps
    And you will gain some speed too. SRM
    2008 Hoyt Vectrix Plus with 28" DL @ 60 lb, Extreme Strings and Cables, 28" .340 Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows, 100 grain DRT Broadheads, Trophy Ridge REACT Sight, FUSE Whisker Biscuit, Tranquilizer - Golden Key Archery Stabilizer, Tight Spot Arrow Quiver, & black wrist sling

I tried the gold tip ultra light 22 series, and liked them but didnt like the fat shafts. I want something equal to these arrows, but smaller diameter. I cut my arrows long because I shoot fixed blades, and dont like them behind my finger.

Is there anything that would give me a flatter trajectory than the gold tip ultra lite 22 serries? I hate how fat they are, and would like to go to atleast a standard thickness shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by flailer View Post
    axis full metal jackets, not light but deffinatly gets the job done. when you make a bad shot with those babies (and we all do once in a while)you will be very happy to have a little extra weight working for you. simply unstoppable with good broadhead on the end of it.
    For sure, been using mine with the t3 tekans and they are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by 13bonatter69 View Post
    Is there anything that would give me a flatter trajectory than the gold tip ultra lite 22 serries? I hate how fat they are, and would like to go to atleast a standard thickness shaft.
    What is this big arc your are thinking of The bow you are shooting has plenty of speed. What arc are you seeing? Hate to tell you but I think you are seeing things.
    Vantage Elite spots and dots, alien Z 3D, Warthog Hunting, Savanna long bow fun.
    Level 3 community coach

easton carbon axis, great penetration and they fly like darts. Best hunting arrow I ever used.

easton flatlines...

Victory VAP's will be with in a couple grains of the UL22's
    Level 3 community coach

Quote Originally Posted by LAhunterman265 View Post
    easton carbon axis, great penetration and they fly like darts. Best hunting arrow I ever used.
    At 2 gpi heaver he will get even more arc.
    Level 3 community coach

I am using easton axis 340 now, and that is where the arc is comeing from, the old gold tip ultra lite 22 series that I was shooting were much flatter, and didnt have near as bad of an arc. I liked the ultras, but was hopeing there was a standard size arrow that was about the same specs as the ultras. I dont like how fat the ultras are. I use a vortex 6 quiver, and they make it very difficult to spin the quiver. That is why I was looking for an arrow as good as the ultralite 22 that was skinnier. Thank you

I would call Jerry at South Shore Archery and run your request by him the man knows his arrows.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

I have not used light speeds for hunting but they have been incredibly tough for target and they are faster than axis or fmj's which are great hunting arrows. I use fmj's for hunting but I always thought I would not be afraid to use the Light Speeds if I went for a speed arrow. Mine have gotten banged around a lot on the 3d course (hit by other arrows) and I've never cracked one to date.

Victory HV you will need the 300 spine, Im shooting the HV 350 in my airborne and @ 60# pull at 30yards I got a complete pass through there light and fast, I have not broke one yet even the one I shot the deer with is still in good shape. I did try the easton Flatline surgical I liked them but they are a little fatter than the HV so I went back to the HV if you want really small try out some of the Victory Armour Piercing

There is a few here that said they have broken the Victory arrows, but so far I have yet to bust one. and I have missed the target more than once and hit stuff and have not busted one yet
    Bear Carnage @ 62# !!!!!!!!!!! Mathews Switchback @65#
    Viper pro 2000 W 4x lens, fUSE WB.Tree Limb 3 arrow quiver.All on both bows
    , Victory HV V3
    If speed Kills then there is a deer that's in trouble.

another vote for the victory vap,, formerly called nano's, my axis weight 392, the vaps run 368 at the same length and fletch,, i little weight loss but a serioulsy bad shaft for penetration!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast