Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 452X vs. Trophy vs. Astro Flight?

452X vs. Trophy vs. Astro Flight?

Tell me your likes and dislikes between the above mentioned string materials. Why use one over the other. I see that most use BCY material instead of Brownell's. Why?

Funny, I just did a search for this ... Good Q. Very interested in the comparison of these strings and brands ... differences in materials by one brand are easier to ferret out vs finding the differences between brands. Why one over the other or even a mix?

BCY 452X and Brownell Xcel are similar materials. Both are 1/3 Vectran and 2/3 SK75 Dyneema. I have used Xcel for a long time. No stretch and my peep simply does not move. BCY colors come off the string while being constructed.

BCY Trophy is 452X with Gore material. I have heard a number of string makers say its stiff and harder to work with although I have not.

Brownell Astro is 100% HPME and offers no creep and is 20% stronger than any other material. Almost all bows see upto 10 FPS of speed. Brownell is a 80 year old company. BCY has been around for 20.. Brownell and I are working hard to get the best material in the hands of all custom string makers.
    Get 10% off Deer Crossing Archery Arrows. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    I see that most use BCY material instead of Brownell's. Why?
    Most BCY fans say if Brownell is so good why do most bow manufacturers use BCY? My reply is if BCY is so good why do most archers say factory strings are junk?

Thanks for your replies Cardiac.

Thats funny right there...Hard to argue with that logic...

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid74 View Post
    Most BCY fans say if Brownell is so good why do most bow manufacturers use BCY? My reply is if BCY is so good why do most archers say factory strings are junk?
    PARK-N-SONS ARCHERY CUSTOM STRINGS AND TUNING LLC
    "ADVANCING ARCHERY ONE STRING AT A TIME"
    BCY-X/452X, Stormy Hardwoods, Spot-Hogg, Tight Spot, TRU Ball, Carter, Vapor Trail Limb-driver Rests, Black Eagle Arrows, Doinker Stabs, Vortex Optics
    For all String and tuning inquiries please visit my web site parknsonsarchery dot com

I havent tried the Brownel so I cant comment on it..But Ive found the Trophy to be much better to work with than 452X and every roll I have got has a consistent wax content..452X was all over the place with some rolls dry and others soaked in wax...The Trophy is consistantly spot on and builds great strings..
    Athens Archery Factory Staff
    Tenzone Archery Shooting Staff
    Ripcord Rests Store Staff
    Special Custom Bowstrings and Tuning

tell you what i found the astroflight does not fuz up got a set from wicked1 seems to be quieter 1/2turn on cables after 50 shots now over 1200 shots bow is shooting great no streach timing on the money no fuz seems to shoot faster and i shoot fingers.this is the first set of brownell that i have owned really like them.

I was bumming around over at Tom's (ex-wolverine) house doing some bow stuff and I got to comparing the Astro with 452x. you can look at the roll and just see how much more consistent that Astro is even laid up on the roll. The Astro reminds me of a a fettucini noodle while the 452x is like a corkscrew pasta. I got the micrometer out and measured some thicknesses when nobody was looking. I can;t remember exact figures, but you would be surprised if you measured two different spools of each material. Astro has the edge in consistency.

That being said, I'm running strings right now that are 452x. I do single colors to gain a little consistency over a two color string. I haven't had any problems with it and I've ran thousands of shots through them with no issues and I'm shooting some pretty solid scores on top of that.

Tom said he is building my next set out of Astro and I'm not going to argue with that because he is more anal retentive than me. Plus, the guy makes a mean Bratwurst.

Astro Flite sounds like some pretty good stuff.

Astro Flite sounds like some pretty good stuff.
    Yes it is,This is all we use try we feel you will like it.
    jbkstrings LLC
    PSE FT
    PSE Omen Max
    Please place all orders through our website,www.jbkstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by ex-wolverine View Post
    Thats funny right there...Hard to argue with that logic...
    maybe its not the material but rather how they are built.

cardiac shoot me a pm with your product and prices. I am open minded...

No not really, wait until you try it

Quote Originally Posted by BrandXshooter77 View Post
    maybe its not the material but rather how they are built.
    BCY-X/452X, Stormy Hardwoods, Spot-Hogg, Tight Spot, TRU Ball, Carter, Vapor Trail Limb-driver Rests, Black Eagle Arrows, Doinker Stabs, Vortex Optics
    For all String and tuning inquiries please visit my web site parknsonsarchery dot com

No not really, wait until you try it
    x2 you will see...
    jbkstrings LLC
    PSE FT
    PSE Omen Max
    Please place all orders through our website,www.jbkstrings.com

I currently can not sell on AT. Once I become a sponsor I will start selling the Brownell full line-up here on AT. For now you can buy all the Brownell products at Lancaster Archery. I should be ready to sell in a couple weeks. If your a string making company you can contact Sharon at Brownell to be set-up to buy direct. If you plan on attending the ATA show I will be in the Brownell booth most of the show. Feel free to stop by and talk and see the full product line. Once you try Astro or Xcel you will wonder why you have been messing with 452x all this time.

Also try Crown center serving over the 62sx offered by BCY. I have had some awesome reviews from soon to be stocking string companys....

for the first time brownel user only using bcy 452 i think there is no comparison iam not sponsored by anyone but i got a set of astroflight strings for my scepter 4 with furious shoot thru system from wicked 1 strings they are outstanding have used many string makers here on at i really dont know if it is the string maker or the or brownell astro flight iam going to change all my strings to these as just an old finger shooter these are the best strings i have found and used bar none .Note iam worse than a woman changing her hair color as i do with color bow strings.

Astro Flight is an amazing product. Same with Xcel. Liek I sais I have a few top stringmakers on here trying out the Brownell line and am getting nothing but positive feedback from all... Astro and Xcel is simply better and cheaper than anything else on the market. Pus the customer support does not change weather your a guy making strings in your garage or a big company putting out 1,000 strings a month.

For now anyone on AT that wants to buy and try Astro or Xcel you can buy direct from Brownell until my store is up and running. Call Brownell at 860-873-8625 and tell Sharon that Tim sent you from AT. She will take care of you. We have a great package where you get your choice of 2 colors of Astro or Xcel in an 1/8 lb spool, Crown center serving in .022 dia. and mini serving for your end servings. She will let you know the price based on what you want and where you live for shipping.

Astro
    16 strands for your string
    18-20 Cable

Xcel
    20 strands for your string
    22-24 for your cable

Some Red White and Blue ASTRO I just made up for the Wifes Athens

Thew White is Snow White, really nice looking stuff, Also are some more pics of a Bowtech Carnivore and Some Alpine Strings I made out of Astro...Notice how brilliant the colors are

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful stuff... The colors are so vibrant. One stringmaker I sent some samples to just raved about how he loved the colors and the consistancy on the diameter...

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid74 View Post

Astro
    16 strands for your string
    18-20 Cable

Xcel
    20 strands for your string
    22-24 for your cable
    Lancaster catalog shows both Astro and Xcel as being .014" dia. Would strand count not be the same when making strings and cables with either material?

Thew White is Snow White, really nice looking stuff, Also are some more pics of a Bowtech Carnivore and Some Alpine Strings I made out of Astro...Notice how brilliant the colors are

Tom
    Solid white is going to look GOOD!!!!

Oh yeah, I was thinking white with a blue streak through it and blue serving

Quote Originally Posted by SteveID View Post
    Solid white is going to look GOOD!!!!

Lancaster catalog shows both Astro and Xcel as being .014" dia. Would strand count not be the same when making strings and cables with either material?
    Astro is .015 but also stronger..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast